Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-13-2016, 08:02 AM   #41
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post
Airstream adds an eight or ten inch wide panel to the roof sheet metal as they are unwilling to order sheets the proper width for the trailers. So that seam is the full length of the white roof.
Also noticed that on mine. I have never understood why Airstream refuses to address the inherent leak potential of piece meal assembly of the roof. Why not not us a single panel and wrap it down the sides? The result would be a minamizing of the leak potential.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 09:42 AM   #42
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post
Airstream adds an eight or ten inch wide panel to the roof sheet metal as they are unwilling to order sheets the proper width for the trailers. So that seam is the full length of the white roof.
Is it because Airstream is unwilling to order wider sheets or because Alcoa is unable to provide them, as I understand it. I know some folks dislike Airstream's processes, but really . . .

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 09:34 PM   #43
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siegmann View Post
I'm still surprised at this issue related to roof seams. Roof penetrations, yes, but seams? As I understand it, most of the sealant is between the overlapping aluminum sheets under the rivet line and not exposed to weathering. My '98 has never leaked at a roof seam, and I annually inspect them testing to see if they will wick water.

Has anyone had pressure testing done that revealed a leaking roof seam?
I did not have a leak, pressure test confirmed no roof leaks. I did have some puddling around the rear vent and the sealant was peeling away in several areas, like around the antenna mount, gutter seams etc. Almost all of it appeared to need replacing.

We got this AS used and I didn't know what sealants had been used (or not) and I wanted to do it as preventive maintenance, get it done right. I had rolled back the tile floor in the front, revealing a grapefruit sized rotted section and evidence of leaks from each side.

The pressure test showed only very minor leaks amidships, which they caulked. The rain test showed no leaks in the front where it had been leaking. The tech said there must have been a leak around the front windows, was fixed but the floor never dried out. (There's insulation under the front floor that will stay wet because there's no way to get air under the floor. This probably caused the rot.)

The rotten wood smell is gone and we're satisfied with the work. We're down in Florida until early March so this should be a good test of everything.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 10:51 PM   #44
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
My dealer won't do the pressurized leak test because they say it causes leaks.

BTW, I have not had a leak in four years, and live in one of the wettest climates in N. America.
Old 01-15-2016, 02:00 AM   #45
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Sounds like a cop out because they do not want to spend the money for the equipment...

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 07:27 AM   #46
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly at Night View Post
My dealer won't do the pressurized leak test because they say it causes leaks..
Interesting. Wonder what Jackson Center would say about that statement.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 08:43 AM   #47
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Leaks at less than .5 psi?

Sounds imaginary.

Mike
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 02:11 PM   #48
Rivet Master

2005 25' International CCD
Fleetwood , North Carolina
Send a message via Skype™ to DreamStreamr
We purchased our 2005 in 2006, full timing still since 2007. It took a few years before I learned not to reapply over old caulk on anything. I had often layed on additional caulk only to soon find leaking again around fans.

Bought heat gun to soften old caulks for removing. Easily moved thick donuts of caulk. Cleaned surfaces with denatured alcohol before recaulk. Great adhesion to clean surfaces. No more leaks at fans. Next did the VTR, same with heat gun, cleaning, then resealing with good self-leveling caulk. Did the long joints along roadside gutter and along roadside awning. Did the front windows but with acryl-r using lubriplate pump applicator.

Haven't done any seam or rivet sealing anywhere else. Hasn't seemed to be an issue as far as we can tell. Biggest leak we've recently found had nothing to do with caulking, but that's a post for the thread about Duotherm a/cs instead. See u there?

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums

Jim N5RTG
dreamstreamr.com
DreamStreamr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 08:42 AM   #49
Rivet Master

2005 25' International CCD
Fleetwood , North Carolina
Send a message via Skype™ to DreamStreamr
To the OP's question, we like having JC adjust the drum brakes. I know, anyone can do it. But they're better at it than I am. When they find a problem they can put everything right same day.

If we're going to be anywhere near JC, we ask an appointment for brakes. We enjoy browsing the store. And we meet the most interesting people in the customer area.

Dreamstreamr
2005 International CCD 25SS
http://Dreamstreamr.com

Jim N5RTG
dreamstreamr.com
DreamStreamr is offline   Reply With Quote