Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-28-2011, 05:35 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2005 28' International CCD
Arlington , Virginia
What Safety-critical repairs to leave to a pro?

All -

I hope to launch my foray into streaming this winter and am leaning toward a mid-70s Sovereign or Excella 500 that I'd like to rehabilitate/redecorate. I'm looking forward to working on the cabinetry and counters, flooring, interior skin, windows, buffing the outside skin, and even some of the systems.

But I admit the frame, sub-flooring, and general structural integrity questions and issues might be beyond me, especially as they seem to impact the safety of towing, and I definitely want to travel with it. If I had to leave some key structural issues to a pro to make sure it gets done right, what would folks recommend? For example:

- wheels, suspension, brakes, axles?
- tow hitch restoration, including new jack and sway bars?
- frame? fixing any rust and addressing any serious problems?
- flooring? The rear end sag with rotting flooring problem is especially daunting, although I am leaning toward a center bath model precisely because the bath is over the wheels and I'm hoping the rear sag issue isn't as pronounced.

Thanks in advance for advice. Oh, I'd appreciate any recommendation on a good pro Airstream/RV mechanic for said work in the greater Baltimore - Washington, D.C. area. I had intended to take my new project to a pro anyway for a comprehensive evaluation, but if they can do some major work as well, so much the better.

Best,

-Jim
Arlington, Virginia
Airstream Dad is offline   Reply With Quote