Old 11-03-2012, 07:02 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Portsmouth , Virginia
What is this thing between the axles? (pix in post)

I dont think this part mounted between the axles is original. Wondering what it is used for and whether I would want to keep it when I replace the axles?

Old 11-03-2012, 07:47 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1992 25' Excella
2002 25' Classic
Currently Looking...
Daphne , Alabama
i believe it is a flat tire detecter. An after market device to let you know you have a flat.

Old 11-03-2012, 07:52 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
It looks like an aftermarket steering stabilizer (a shock absorber with a very long shaft) that normally goes between the front-end suspension and the chassis to reduce steering wheel movement when driving straight. If that is correct, the previous owner may have installed it to reduce minor axle-alignment twitches between the two axles. However, I have never before seen one of these installed in this application.
Old 11-03-2012, 08:19 PM   #4
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
I am going to go way out on a limb. It's OK, I'm used to being here, and I brought along my saw.

If a steering stabilizer was mounted from the top of one shock to the top of the other, as it appears that device is, I believe it would, to some degree, tend to smooth out the ride. It would take some of the shock from the front axle bump and transfer it to the rear . When the rear tire hit the bump some of that shock would would transfer to the front. In effect, It would tend to change a thump thump into a single thuuuuump.

Feel free to not believe this theory, I'm not sure if I do.

Ken
Old 11-03-2012, 08:34 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Portsmouth , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag&Au View Post
I am going to go way out on a limb. It's OK, I'm used to being here, and I brought along my saw.

If a steering stabilizer was mounted from the top of one shock to the top of the other, as it appears that device is, I believe it would, to some degree, tend to smooth out the ride. It would take some of the shock from the front axle bump and transfer it to the rear . When the rear tire hit the bump some of that shock would would transfer to the front. In effect, It would tend to change a thump thump into a single thuuuuump.

Ken
That's what it looks like to me as well, but I've never seen one before or heard of one, except I have it on this trailer. I think there is some sort of adjustment as well to tailor the length slightly which would push both shocks out or move them in. Can't say I really see the need for it though.
Old 11-03-2012, 08:43 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquinob View Post
That's what it looks like to me as well, but I've never seen one before or heard of one, except I have it on this trailer. I think there is some sort of adjustment as well to tailor the length slightly which would push both shocks out or move them in. Can't say I really see the need for it though.

Well. if nothing else, it would be a good conversation starter.
Old 11-03-2012, 08:51 PM   #7
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
An Airstream came through the shop a few months ago with one of those things on it. At the front, there were two wires meant to go somewhere, but going nowhere.The consensus at the time was that it was a flat tire monitor.
Old 11-03-2012, 09:08 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
An Airstream came through the shop a few months ago with one of those things on it. At the front, there were two wires meant to go somewhere, but going nowhere.The consensus at the time was that it was a flat tire monitor.
I can see how it would work as that, since a flat tire would lengthen it and probably open or close a switch inside. However that's boring compared to my theory.

Ken
Old 11-03-2012, 09:57 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Portsmouth , Virginia
Quote:
I can see how it would work as that, since a flat tire would lengthen it and probably open or close a switch inside. However that's boring compared to my theory.

Ken
I went out and looked through the tires and was able to read teletector on the label in the middle and some sort of instruction about setting it up when the trailer is level. A little google-ing and it let me back to some posts on this forum that talked about a system sold around 2002 to monitor flats. If you look at the picture, the rear part has a couple of wires coming out of it that I would guess is the switch to send the signal.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f438...ctor-1255.html
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f438...ctor-1339.html
Old 11-03-2012, 10:01 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquinob View Post
I went out and looked through the tires and was able to read teletector on the label in the middle and some sort of instruction about setting it up when the trailer is level. A little google-ing and it let me back to some posts on this forum that talked about a system sold around 2002 to monitor flats. If you look at the picture, the rear part has a couple of wires coming out of it that I would guess is the switch to send the signal.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f438...ctor-1255.html
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f438...ctor-1339.html
Tire monitoring has come a long way in ten years.

Ken
Old 11-03-2012, 10:06 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
I have uploaded a couple of images, the cover from my 1984 Airstream Trailer Service Manual and page A-24, with the diagrams of the "FLAT TIRE DETECTOR." There is some text on installation, but the diagrams pretty well identify it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Service Manual Cover DSC03128.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	196.1 KB
ID:	171999   Click image for larger version

Name:	Flat Tire Detector DSC03126.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	229.6 KB
ID:	172000  

Old 11-04-2012, 02:42 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
I have the manual for this flat detector if anybody wants it. I took mine off. The rear view mirror is going to tell me the same thing. When I have a flat the trailer will lean to that side. I don't need a dummy light to tell me I have a flat. I also don't need an expensive wireless tire pressure measurement system. None of this will prevent flats if you run ST tires.

Perry
Old 11-04-2012, 06:53 AM   #13
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
It is a device called a Teletector. My 91 Excella came off the line with one installed. They were also available as an aftermarket option as well. You are correct it is a low tire detection device. Mfd by the May Engineering Co. Money still works. I have the manual should anyone want a copy.
Old 11-04-2012, 08:51 AM   #14

Quote:

Ken
I guess it's time to saw off the limb I'm out on.

Ken

Wait a minute, maybe I should patent the new smoother ride device I just invented.