Old 08-27-2015, 01:05 PM   #29
Glamper Girl

2008 23' International
Sunny San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer Dan View Post
I would check the batteries. We had that sulphur smell once and it was a battery going bad or being overcharged / overheated. It was quite strong!!!

Dan
We had the smell, but only after traveling so it was hard to decipher what the underlying cause was. A friend who recently replaced bad batteries took a whiff and told us to check the batteries. Sure enough ONE battery was bad so we replaced both (always replace both at the same time). So my suggestion is to remove the batteries and take them to your local automotive store for testing.

Old 08-27-2015, 01:19 PM   #30
2 Rivet Member

1994 36' Classic 36 Diesel
Morton , Illinois
We had the same thing when we brought our '94 Diesel Classic home. Noticed the sulfur odor, rotten eggs, however you want to identify it. First night, we thought it might be the water at the campground. Second night, we feared our water tanks were contaminated (newbies, right?). When we got home and plugged it in, we opened the awnings and had the neighbors over to celebrate. The odor was so bad, I wanted to evacuate the neighborhood. Turned out, both the coach batteries were bad, and excreting this horrible smell when trying to charge. Our mechanic took one look at them, and replaced them. New batteries = no rotten egg odor. Good luck!

Old 08-27-2015, 01:20 PM   #31
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
Easy, remove battery, put it far away from the trailer, see if smell in trailer dissipates.
Old 08-27-2015, 01:53 PM   #32
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Lynnwood , Washington
Since batteries contain sulfuric acid, I would check the batteries first.

If it's a propane leak, all you hafta do is shut off the propane at the tanks and air out the trailer. If the sulfur smell is still there, then you know propane isn't the problem.

Process of elimination.

Tom
Old 08-27-2015, 02:15 PM   #33
3 Rivet Member

1990 29' Excella
Stone Mountain , Georgia
It may well be a battery problem, but a bad battery isn't likely to kill you unless the Hydrogen Sulfide concentration is pretty strong. Propane leaking however can not only destroy your AS but kill you, so you need to pursue both issues at the same time. You are getting good advice from both camps. I bought a Combustible Gas Detector that has high and low settings and can be used for a wide variety of gaseous products. I use it at home around the furnace, water heater, gas dryer, stove, etc. and in the AS rather than trying to soap multiple fittings. They come with a long flexible sensor to push into small or difficult areas. Turn on your propane at the tank and go from tank fittings, regulator, etc. to the coach appliances and everywhere the propane is piped. Have the 12v wet cell batteries checked at an appropriate repair facility also. You could actually have two problems, but you definitely don't want to become a ball of flame in your AS. Rule that out, but check the batteries as well. See you down the road.

WBCCI 2456 Georgia Unit 32
1990 Excella 29' Centramatics
2016 GMC Sierra Crew Cab 2500 HD 4x4
6.6L Duramax + Allison, 3.73 axles
dcasr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 03:47 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
if you have two batteries (like the Classics do) disconnecting one battery negative post is not enough. you have to disconnevt BOTH battery negative posts and turn off the converter circuit before going after the positive cable ends.
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 04:06 PM   #35
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
You must NEVER smell Propane!!!

You must have a battery in the AS for the emergency 'breakaway' braking of the trailer.

If I think it is battery, I would REMOVE the batteries, take and have tested. Does the smell dissipate in the trailer with the batteries out?

My "converter" actually failed.. the batteries continued to work, but were not being charged...

Please get this checked!!!! When you are back in Austin, we can arrange a get together to figure it out...
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 04:24 PM   #36
3 Rivet Member

2004 28' Classic
austin , Texas
Update......but first, thanks to everyone for providing input on this.
Yesterday we hooked up and moved about 150 miles to Lander, Wyoming, a much bigger place with a great RV park and some services. We experienced no problems, no smells. This morning, my husband removed both batteries and had them tested. Sure enough one was bad. The auto parts store here is getting a new one for us, to be delivered tomorrow. So the battery had to have been the source of the smell. Of course, we still haven't answered the question as to why an almost new battery (installed in February of this year) went bad. We have a call in to an RV mechanic in this area, hoping to get him to check the converter, but so far have not heard back. We called the shop in Texas that installed the batteries, and they doubt it is a converter issue because they think we would have seen other signs, like the lights dimming. They also indicated we could operate off of shore power here at the RV park if we re-installed the one good battery and taped off the leads to the other one, while waiting on the new battery to be delivered. In the end, we may just have to set off and hope the problem does not recur, but in the meantime, this is a nice place to be stuck for awhile.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 08-28-2015, 06:04 PM   #37
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
Most replace both batterys together.
Old 08-28-2015, 07:18 PM   #38
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
It's common practice to replace batteries in pairs. Batteries develop different oersonalities the moment you begin to use them. Your old battery likely will be weaker than the new one and pose a different charging need and drain the new one.
Old 08-28-2015, 07:21 PM   #39
3 Rivet Member

2004 28' Classic
austin , Texas
Even though it is only a few months old?

Old 08-28-2015, 07:29 PM   #40
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
Yes, you don't know how they were maintained....
If your converter cooked one, why not the other?
If the batteries were exhausted down below 12..3 volts just once you have compromised their lifespan.
Why fool around? Replace the converter and treat yourself to some nice batteries..... Doing so gives you incredible peace of mind!
Old 08-28-2015, 08:02 PM   #41
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mission , Texas
The unknown or unstated part is battery condition before failure. If you'd been checking the battery water levels monthly and it was generally okay but needed a slight topping off, I'd suspect the charger.
But if the batteries had not been checked since Washington was a Private, there is no way to know for certain that the failed battery wasn't low to begin with.
Old 08-28-2015, 08:11 PM   #42
3 Rivet Member

2004 28' Classic
austin , Texas
Batteries are the sealed type. Not supposed to check the fluid. They were new in February 2015. Used trailer a total of about 10 days since then.