Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-22-2008, 03:01 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Brownsville , Texas
What is the Estimated Price for Full or Partial Restoration?

Looking at a 24 72 Tradewind, 1972 AIRSTREAM Tradewind for sale in El Paso, TX - RVTraderOnline.com

What is the price range for a full or partial restoration/remodel project with a full bath, kitchen? Much Thanks.
coltmccoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 03:45 PM   #2
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
How much?

Quote:
Originally Posted by coltmccoy View Post
Looking at a 24 72 Tradewind, 1972 AIRSTREAM Tradewind for sale in El Paso, TX - RVTraderOnline.com

What is the price range for a full or partial restoration/remodel project with a full bath, kitchen? Much Thanks.
Welcome Aboard..

Don't wanna be a smart-ass but, all you can spare and more.

Now I know others who have more experience than I will chime in and give you more precise info. But no matter what your budget you will most likely exceed it. Ask me how I know.
Old 10-22-2008, 04:05 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Brownsville , Texas
Re: How Much?

Thanks for the welcome. Figured it's pretty pricey. What about the costs once it is fixed? What are the yearly costs of ownership if you pay someone else to do the repair/fixes? Where can you learn hands-on how to repair/refurbish?
Old 10-22-2008, 04:12 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Welcome to the board, your screen name certainly got my attention rapidly! I live in Austin as well, and am a UT grad and big-time Longhorn fan.

I just bought my vintage Airstream a couple of months ago, and have only just begun some restoration projects, so I can't tell you all of the financial information that you need. But there are many knowledgeable folks here and I'm sure you'll get some help.

I can tell you that for restorations of vintage units, people can end up spending as much or more than a brand-new unit cost, depending on the extent of the repairs needed. This is especially true if you hire a shop to perform a lot of the work for you-- those shop labor rates are expensive.

Good luck!
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 04:12 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Lots & lots of variables on this one!

Quote:
  • Are you doing the work yourself or sub-ing it out?
  • How's the floor & frame condition? Soft spots? Rust? Frame separation?
  • Any exterior leaks?
  • How are the axles? Are you adding more weight?
  • What about the cabinets? Refinish? Paint? Replace?
  • Foam/Cushions/Beds?
  • What level of finishes are you expecting? Wood? Plastic laminate? Carpet? Linoleum? Upholstery? Curtains? $ or $$$?
  • New appliances? Stove? Fridge? Oven? Micro?
  • New water lines? PEX or copper?
  • New water heater?
  • New sinks & faucets?
  • How's the tub/shower? Refinish or replace?
  • How's the toilet? Leaks? Black tank? Valves?
  • Are you adding any grey tank(s)?
  • What's your intended use? substitute for a tent or a hotel room?
That's just a start...lots goes into figuring out a budget and even once you do, plan on it costing more than you expect - sometimes as much as a late model or new trailer the same size would cost. The link of the trailer you are interested in, looks to be a good starting point - have you seen it? Price is good too ~ leaves lots of extra $$$ for the remodel!

You may find this helpful: Price vs. Condition & Restoration Resources

Quote:
Where can you learn hands-on how to repair/refurbish?
Right here on the forums! Many of us have undertaken restoration/remodel projects - just ask away or use the search tool for specific projects.

Shari

P.S. Welcome aboard!
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 04:19 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
I would say it looks like it worth $2000.00 the asking price.. But don't buy it to fix and make money on it.. It just doesn't work like that....

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 04:46 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Brownsville , Texas
Thank you all; very fast, informative. Would like an AS to live as a primary residence for the costs of living savings. Will search the forums more. Don't know the costs of yearly/monthly upkeep to the AS if you do it or pay someone else. Is it difficult to do? Just wash it like a car for exterior upkeep? Guess it's all here. It's easy to find.
Old 10-22-2008, 05:29 PM   #8
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
$7500 if you do it yourself, or add 300 hours at the going labor rate in your area

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 06:14 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64

Greetings ColtMccoy!

Welcome to the Forums!

I am not a do-it-yourselfer, yet I prefer the Vintage coaches. It is possible to have a coach professionally refurbished -- the key is to start with one that is in the best reasonable condition at the beginning.

In the case of my Overlander, I was able to almost immediately begin to use it after purchase. Over the next seven years, I gradually upgraded the expensive systems (one or two each year). During those first seven years, I had to replace the air conditioner, water pump, water heater, furnace, refrigerator, and LP Tanks (my coach's original Worthington tanks had managed to disappear between the original owner's time and my purchase as third owner).

In 2001, I took the coach off of the road for about four months for professional refurbishment that included:
  • Professional strip and polish followed by new Plasti-Coat ($155/linear ft. then about $175/linear foot now).
  • Professional interior rerurbishment that included:
    • All new high quality foam for front lounge
    • All new draperies
    • All oak (veneer) cabinetry refinished
    • New Commercial Grade Congoleumsheet vinyl floor coverings
    • New custom manufactured twin mattressses for bedroom
    • New comfort panels for bedroom
    • All new window screens
    • New wall and cieling paint (a previous owner painted over the original finish)
    • New shades for all light fixtures
    • New bedspreads and throw pillows to coordinate with drapes
    • New solid oak top for original drop-leaf dining table
    • Four reproduction Leg-O-Matic chairs
    • Three new ZIP-Dee awnings -- curbside patio, bathroom window, and bedroom windows
      • The approximate cost for this at that time was $7,500
    • Professional repair and refinishing of all bathroom fixtures was approximately $700 in 2002.
Since finishing the coach, my annual maintenance costs have averaged just under $1,000. I can handle the cleaning and semi-annual Walbernizing, but mechanical repairs are handled by a trusted Airstream facility (Ace Fogdall RV in Cedar Falls, IA). Every thid fourth seasons requires a set of new tires -- beyond tires, the annual bearing repack and winterization in the fall are my only regularly recurring expenses. The only major expense that lies ahead is the replacement of the original axles -- I am holding off a bit until I can purchase new axles with the disc brake upgrade.

Good luck with your investigation!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 06:45 PM   #10
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
To fix up and live in full-time, a Tradewind is a bit smallish. You could find an Overlander, Ambassador, or Sovereign. They are 27, 29, and 31 feet long, respectively. They tend to cost less to purchase, because the larger coaches are less desireable to tow and camp in, but have lots more room.
Our Sovereign cost a bit over $2500 to buy, and was more or less useable right away. It needed only a new water heater, fridge, and Univolt to be livable.
We've since poured a lot more than that into the trailer, but if we weren't planning to travel with it, there were many things we didn't have to do.
Old 10-22-2008, 07:20 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
A 72 Tradewind is actually 25 feet long. I live full time in mine with two Labradors and am very comfortable. More than enough storage for me.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 07:35 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Jupiter , Florida
No reasonable amount of money will force your nose - sense of smell - to accept the trailer if it is deeply imbued with off-scents. A little mildewed stale canvas or leather smell, a stale wood odor is fine... but anything chemical ie: old black tank chemical spills or burned plastics could be a forever smell that can rob you of enjoying the trailer..
Old 10-24-2008, 05:33 PM   #13
Twisted Silver Airstreams
Commercial Member

Hendersonville , Tennessee
I do this for a living, and can say I saw one spot on answer. As much as you can spare! Yes, you can have a budget and you can tailor it to said budget in most cases. These trailers are addictive though. All of my customers, come in , get high on it, and end up adding things. But what a way to go! I say, spend your money on what you love, and enjoy every well spent cent- Jimmy
twistedsilvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 08:30 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

Brownsville , Texas
How much more is towing for a larger trailer?
Old 12-12-2008, 08:44 PM   #15
Vagabond

1973 31' Sovereign
1991 34' Excella
Fort Meade Md. RV park slot 8!! , Motorsports Photographer
Send a message via AIM to TheBigRedTruck
You can look on EBay or try looking up www.pandstrailerservice.com They are one of the top, in airstream restoration and polishing. Thay have a nice 1964 24ft Tradewind on EBay now Item number: 190273301858
Old 12-12-2008, 08:47 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

Brownsville , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameront120 View Post
A 72 Tradewind is actually 25 feet long. I live full time in mine with two Labradors and am very comfortable. More than enough storage for me.
Do you think you could do without 2 or 3 feet?
Old 12-12-2008, 09:06 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64

Greetings ColtMccoy!

Quote:
How much more is towing for a larger trailer?
I was not prepared for the small difference in fuel economy when towing my Minuet 6.0 Metre (Gross Laden Weight 3,100 pounds) compared to my Overlander International <26' 8"> (Gross Laden Weight, 6,100 pounds). Using the same route and my 1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.10 Differentials) during two different summers with each trip covering 800 miles one-way utilizing premium fuel with a maximum highway towing speed of 55 MPH.

The Minuet Combination yielded 11.8 mpg for a total of 1,600 miles
The Overlander Combination yielded 10.4 mpg for the same 1,600 miles

With my Cadillac, the final drive gearing poses such an issue that the towing MPG is the same for both coaches 7.9 MPG. If the car had the more appropriate 3.05 Final Drive there would be some difference.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 09:12 PM   #18
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Twice what it should cost, four times what you think it will cost, pennies compared to the payoff.

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 09:18 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Do you think you could do without 2 or 3 feet?
I think I could do fine with a Safari (23 feet) or even a Globetrotter, which is 19 feet.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 11:38 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Texarkana , Arkansas
Rivet What is the Estimated Price for Full or Partial Restoration

I, too, agree with most everyone else in relation to buying an AS. I own a 1974 31' Sovereign and will admit I did pay a higher price for it than most people would....However, I do not ever plan on selling her. Since she was 'born' in 1974, you know she needs TLC....But, you will find it is a labor of love--hence the saying is true that if you choose to sell, you will never get out of her what you have put in...to me, though, I think the money I paid for her 5 years ago has been well spent, and working on the little dings, ect., is therapeutic!!!

Tags
airstream, project, repair, restoration