Old 12-19-2008, 02:54 AM   #43
2 Rivet Member

Brownsville , Texas
When remodeling, does the right/left sides and front/back of trailer have to be balanced? Does there need to be the same weight on all sides?

Old 12-19-2008, 03:09 AM   #44
2 Rivet Member

Brownsville , Texas
Are their places the repair/work primarily on AS? Which shops are best?

Old 12-19-2008, 03:37 AM   #45
2 Rivet Member

Brownsville , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander64 View Post
... An example of such a program is the Recreation Vehicle Service Academy. Another example of a similar program would be the Texas State Technical
College at Waco's Industrial Systems and Tecnology Specialty in Recreational Vehicle Maintenance
, or Northampton Community College, Bethlehem, PA -- Recreational Vehicle Technology Specialized Diploma. There are similar programs offered somewhere in just about every state.

Kevin
Is there a place that does specifically AS?

And which place is the best?
Old 12-19-2008, 04:30 AM   #46
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
What is the Estimated Price for Full or Partial Restoration?

Greetings Coltmccoy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by coltmccoy View Post
Is there a place that does specifically AS?

And which place is the best?
There are a number of places across the country that specialize in complete refurbishment and some that specialize in just specific areas of the coach. In fact, the factory in Jackson Center, OH does offer restoration/refurbishment services -- particularly during the winter when sales are usually slower.

When I had my coaches refurbished, I sought out shops that were not too far distant from my location and had them do most of my refurbishment.
I have been very pleased with the work done by each of the above firms. They are not the only ones out there doing this type of work. Each of these firms were located within a six hour drive of my homebase so were good choices for me. There are a number of recent additions to the ranks of shops offering Airstream restoration/refurbishment services and several of them are represented here on the Forums.

Good luck with your research!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 04:39 AM   #47
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois

Greetings Coltmccoy!

Quote:
When remodeling, does the right/left sides and front/back of trailer have to be balanced? Does there need to be the same weight on all sides?
The better balanced a coach is, the easier it is to tow and the less likely it is to sway or yaw. Ideally there will be a slight bias toward the front -- slightly more weight ahead of the axle(s) when compared to the weight carried behind the axle(s). When I first started RVing in 1969, you could easily identify coaches that were poorly balanced side-to-side as they almost always listed toward the heavier side -- that doesn't happen as frequently today, but it is something to be carefully considered. In cases where a coach isn't well balanced from side-to-side, it can cause tire problems -- my Nomad purchased (17.5') new in 1980 was a good example of a coach biased toward the curb side -- it had multiple blow outs on the curbisde tire and was a handling nightmare on the highway.

Good luck with your research!

Kevin
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
Old 12-19-2008, 01:16 PM   #48
2 Rivet Member

Brownsville , Texas
Thank you Kevin so much for the info. Are all the RV trade schools the same? Or any better than others? Do any train specifically on AS?
Old 12-19-2008, 01:55 PM   #49
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois

Greetings Coltmccoy!

Quote:
Thank you Kevin so much for the info. Are all the RV trade schools the same? Or any better than others? Do any train specifically on AS?
The only specific training in Airstream Repair that I am aware of is that available to employees of Airstream dealerships through Airstream. I also suspect that some of the larger Airstream dealers may provide their technicians with necessary Airstream specific training. The basic mechanical systems are shared with most other RVs of similar price class -- the uniqe to Airstream consists primarily of body structure and to a lesser degree the frame. The basic riveted body structure is shared with many small planes, thus the reason air frame repair shops are sometimes contacted for Airstream body repairs when a qualified Airstream shop isn't readily available.

In the world of Vocational Education, RV Technician Specialties are a relatively new area. Several of the programs I have heard about are just getting started so there isn't a great deal of long-term data on placement/retention of graduates once they enter the profession. Schools that are near concentrated RV production as well as schools near concentrated RV use are likely to have the programs with the longer track records.

Good luck with your investigation!

Kevin
AIR #827
Old 12-19-2008, 09:51 PM   #50
1972 Travelux Princess 25

Cobourg , Ontario
Quote:
The weight should be equal both sides with about 10% of the trailer's weight on the hitch. This is called "tongue weight".

All hitched up and ready to go the weight should be equally distributed on all 4 trailer wheels.
Old 12-20-2008, 12:44 AM   #51
3 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Texarkana , Arkansas
I do agree that the 'new' AS may not have any work that needs to be done, but please look at the interior...Most 'new' AS's are not as aerodynamic as the older ones, nor do they possess the aluminum that is as as polishable as the older models...I guess it just depends on your preference....
I prefer the older models....This way I feel as though I can change the interior to meet my own personality and needs. Whereas, if you do have to moolah to spend on a newer model, you could do the same, but you would own a boxy type of model with a dull finish on the exterior.....
Old 12-31-2008, 09:04 AM   #52
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Quote:
...What is the price range for a full or partial restoration/remodel project with a full bath, kitchen? ...
See this thread:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f372...get-45902.html

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 01:02 PM   #53
1972 Travelux Princess 25

Cobourg , Ontario
To get back to the original question on the cost of restoration. It is almost always more expensive to restore and old car or trailer than to buy a good one. If you hire the work done, it is always way more expensive.

This is simply because mass production is cheaper than hand labor.

So if you are thinking of buying an old Airstream and fixing it up, it's going to make more sense to simply buy a good, late model trailer.
Old 01-02-2009, 05:43 PM   #54
4 Rivet Member

1963 28' Ambassador
Smiths Grove , Kentucky
The cost is relative to condition and what you want the trailer to look like when you are finished. I paid 2200.00 for my Ambassador and spent another 2000.00ish on it. We were not looking for restored (too expensive) we wanted usability, immediately. There are still several things that can be done but they can wait or may never be fixed for example, the furnace doesn't work and I have no plans to fix it. We use 2 small electric heaters which are cheaper and safer. You must decide what do you want and what are you willing to live with. This is our first camper, you learn as you go. Good luck!!

63silver
Old 04-02-2011, 07:40 PM   #55
3 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
College Station , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by utee94 View Post
Welcome to the board, your screen name certainly got my attention rapidly! I live in Austin as well, and am a UT grad and big-time Longhorn fan.

I just bought my vintage Airstream a couple of months ago, and have only just begun some restoration projects, so I can't tell you all of the financial information that you need. But there are many knowledgeable folks here and I'm sure you'll get some help.

I can tell you that for restorations of vintage units, people can end up spending as much or more than a brand-new unit cost, depending on the extent of the repairs needed. This is especially true if you hire a shop to perform a lot of the work for you-- those shop labor rates are expensive.

Good luck!
Is there anyone in your area that can help with restorations? We are in College station. I have heard there is someone who left camper clinic in Lockhart, but lost his contact information. We need help at least putting on a new axle.

Jerri Lawson

Tags
airstream, project, repair, restoration