Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-16-2011, 10:28 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2008 19' Bambi
Locust grove , Oklahoma
What is red toggle switch by door...

I just bought Bambi 19 2006, It came with a gazillion manuals but I can't find what the red light lookin switch is that is on the left lower as you enter...thx for help
AirheadOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 10:34 AM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
That should be the use/store battery disconnect switch. Use position when you use the trailer, and store when it's going to sit, not being used.
Old 05-16-2011, 10:38 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

2008 19' Bambi
Locust grove , Oklahoma
Battery disconnect is clearly marked on the other side of door so I think it is something else???
Old 05-16-2011, 10:44 AM   #4
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
The other switch on the other side of the door is the shutoff switch for tge fridge fan. It turns the muffin fan on and off that helps keep the cooling element cooler.
Old 05-16-2011, 11:01 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

2008 19' Bambi
Locust grove , Oklahoma
I just turned fridge on electric 30 minutes ago and it doesn't seem cold . I just pushed toggle down ( which seems like it should be OFF like the lights) but I do now hear fan outside behind fridge. Thanks

How long before my fridge should be cold? The auto light is on so I reckon it is on...
Old 05-16-2011, 11:04 AM   #6

2006 19' International CCD
Olathe , Kansas
It takes a long time before it's cold. Check the freezer and feel the plastic. It should start to feel cold. I turn mine on the night before I pack it for a trip. Also pack cold pop, frozen ice cubes etc That way it won't work harder to cool back down.
blmitch5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 12:27 PM   #7
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSkyChx View Post
I just turned fridge on electric 30 minutes ago and it doesn't seem cold . I just pushed toggle down ( which seems like it should be OFF like the lights) but I do now hear fan outside behind fridge. Thanks

How long before my fridge should be cold? The auto light is on so I reckon it is on...
You're dealing with a gas/absorption RV fridge, not a residential compressor unit. As such, it takes from 6-8 HOURS for the fridge to cool down. After it is cool, remember that it helps greatly to add pre-cooled food to the fridge, as they are NOT very efficient!

Also, for every minute that you leave the door open looking for something or loading the fridge, the unit requires 1 HOUR to recover that lost temps. HAVE FUN!!
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 06:21 PM   #8
Shoe Sling'r

2007 19' Bambi
Denison , Texas
Quote:
I just bought Bambi 19 2006, It came with a gazillion manuals but I can't find what the red light lookin switch is that is on the left lower as you enter...thx for help

...I just turned fridge on electric 30 minutes ago and it doesn't seem cold.

idk what the heck that red light is either. walk'n in on ur left not out...

is the auto setting correct running off electric external power? to hot for gas anything out here. firing up the bambi cause its 106 out, no reason to cool the whole house.
casalago213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 07:14 PM   #9

Olathe , Kansas
We have the same Bambi. The switch is for the refrigerator fan and It will take a day to cool off in the summer.
Old 07-08-2011, 09:23 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
It was 118 degrees here in Phoenix about a week ago and a little under 110 all this past week.

In the summer, we turn on the refrigerator several days before leaving, and put one layer of water bottles on the bottom of the freezer. Then, when we load up the night before leaving, we move the frozen water bottles into the door shelves and scattered around with the food that we keep in bins. As the water melts, we drink the thawed bottled water and move more frozen water bottles into the refrigerator compartment.

We replace the outside fan with a ball-bearing model, which is much quieter and uses less electricity. We also put one of those little D-cell portable fans in the bottom of the fridge to circulate the air, which also helped significantly.

Our refrigerator still runs warmer in the summer than in the winter, but it keeps the bottom compartment around 40-45 degrees which is much better than the 50-60 we used to measure. Like others, before we figured out what works, we were about ready to go back to the old ice chest we use in our boat.
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 06:49 AM   #11
Shoe Sling'r

2007 19' Bambi
Denison , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by blmitch5 View Post
We have the same Bambi. The switch is for the refrigerator fan and It will take a day to cool off in the summer.
Thanks! Popped the upper panel outside to find a few years worth of webz and other bug bits stopping the fan up. All clear now and in running condition now.

Bambi was bought "new" a few years ago to take the kiddo on trips. Hasn't seen any action yet. Virgin sinks, stove, shower, fridge etc... Noticing things starting to get a lil' weathered, so trying to catch up on the learning curve of this sweet machine.

Hows yours holding up? Any tips? Take care.
casalago213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 07:09 AM   #12

Olathe , Kansas
It's holding up well, except some hail and a dent provided by me! Im going to wait until camping seasons over the get her fixed!

It's better to use them than let them sit. Make sure to check your tires and the seals. Do you store indoors or out? The seals on top need to be checked and cleaned up and re caulked if the are dry and cracked. I'd clean her up and wax her and lube everything up. The seals around the toilet, shower could also be dry due to lack of use.

Everything is working great on the Bambi and I keep her waxed and maintain in/out on a regular basis. Get her out and work out the bugs etc and she will be back to new again.

Airstreams love to be on the road!
Old 07-09-2011, 07:10 AM   #13

Olathe , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix
It was 118 degrees here in Phoenix about a week ago and a little under 110 all this past week.

In the summer, we turn on the refrigerator several days before leaving, and put one layer of water bottles on the bottom of the freezer. Then, when we load up the night before leaving, we move the frozen water bottles into the door shelves and scattered around with the food that we keep in bins. As the water melts, we drink the thawed bottled water and move more frozen water bottles into the refrigerator compartment.

We replace the outside fan with a ball-bearing model, which is much quieter and uses less electricity. We also put one of those little D-cell portable fans in the bottom of the fridge to circulate the air, which also helped significantly.

Our refrigerator still runs warmer in the summer than in the winter, but it keeps the bottom compartment around 40-45 degrees which is much better than the 50-60 we used to measure. Like others, before we figured out what works, we were about ready to go back to the old ice chest we use in our boat.
Where did you buy your fan? I'm ready to replace ours. Sick of the noise!
Old 07-09-2011, 07:52 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
Venice , Florida
Question

Quote:

It would be great if I could see a picture of the fan behind the frig. My original frig was replaced and there is no fan in the rear compartment of the frig. Obviously, we all, in the hot weather have cooling problems.

At a rally this past June, I saw a solar powered fan in there. That might be the way to go for sure. ??

Airdreamers

WBCCI #8880
AIR #41310
airdreamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 08:56 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
I installed this fan a couple of years ago. I think I paid about $12 at Fry's Electronics. It doesn't move quite as much air as the original Airstream fan; but it is silent with no vibration. Note: Some reviews on this site say they are noisy, but these are installed in desktop PCs at ear level, probably about 24-36 inches from the user. In our Airstream, I can't hear it at all, and my wife says she can tell it's running but can barely hear it at night when nothing else is running (like one of the FantasticFans). I originally thought about adding a second fan, but after using it for some time now, I think it wouldn't make any difference in cooling and would just add to the battery load.

Enermax Magma UCMA12 Case fan

The little battery fan for the inside of the refrigerator is available at WalMart. Can't remember, but I think it was about $15. It has a ball bearing motor that is silent and allows the two D-cell batteries to last about a month. It doesn't seem to move much air, but it really makes a difference. Evidently, a little circulation is better than none at all, as it evens out the temperature throughout the refrigerator compartment. No more frozen lettuce under the cooling coils or hot drinks in the door. Although, the frozen water bottles have also helped alot.

The infrared thermometer gun from Harbor Freight really helped troubleshoot this problem (about $30 on sale). You can immediately read one or two degree temperature differences on surfaces. Also, use it on the tires.
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 08:12 AM   #16
1 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Waterloo , Ontario
battery disconnect setting help

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
That should be the use/store battery disconnect switch. Use position when you use the trailer, and store when it's going to sit, not being used.

Let me ask a newbie question.... does the battery disconnect switch always shine red? I can push the button up or down and the light stays one, all day, all the time when I am plugged into AC or not?

Does this sound right? Thanks for your help.

Yesterday when we hooked up to come home and went off AC current a beeping started in the trailer? I pushed the battery disconnect button up to use and the beeping stopped? I find my manual woefully lacking in detail.

John.

2011 Bambi 19'
JohnGough is offline   Reply With Quote