Old 08-17-2012, 07:18 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member
1965 20' Globetrotter
Flin Flon , Manitoba
Great advice I guess I have to investigate a bit!
It is a great trailer for its age! We found on this first trip all the plumbing is leaking- facets , p traps cracked. I think the shower has floor rot, it's pretty bouncy there!

Can the axles wait? Max 2 years? My hubby won't have time or budget till then. And we would like to do all big fixes at once, pex plumbing, flooring and reconfigure the floor plans, polish seal etc.
I'm sure the list will get longer. Plus we hope to have a newer tv by then.

Kdawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 07:47 AM   #16
Rivet Master
1977 23' Safari
Niagara on the Lake , Ontario
Your renovations should be done in the following order to avoid having to do things twice:

1) Seal the trailer - any water that enters will damage whats there now, creating more work later, and will damage any work you do in the future. Sealing is an ongoing process, i try to check my seals, seams and the inside for leaks quarterly.

2) Axels and brakes - unless you are towing only very short distances you need to have good axels or you will be damaging the trailer. I would hate to build new cabinets for my trailer then shake them apart because of bad axels. If you are moving the trailer at all you need brakes and lights for safety.

3) Floor/Frame - like the foundation of a house this is the foundation of the trailer, if you build a cabinet on a bad floor you just have to pull it out later to fix the floor.

4) Major systems, Plumbing, electircal and appliances. I found it easiest to do this all at once since I had to remove the beds and part of a cabinet to run plumbing and electrical wire. this was also a good time to install new floor covering since I had furniture removed.

5) Decor/polishing - again, no point in making it pretty if you can't tow it or keep the interrior dry.

If the floor is solid and the axels useable you can always use the trailer as an aluminum tent until you get the plumbing fixed (we camped with no plumbing when the water pump quit and used a bucket to flush the toilet, and had some non working interrior lights for a while)

1977 Safari Land Yacht
2005 Toyota Tundra SR5
2010 Ford Flex Ecoboost
AldeanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 05:03 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member
1965 20' Globetrotter
Flin Flon , Manitoba
Good list! Makes sense! The po replaced the fuse box and added converter. Repaced exterior lights .New toliet and water heater and pump. Another po repaced the fridge and awning.the floor rot is minimal and everything but furnace works.

We have tightened all the plumbing we could-ie-new hoses to old pipes. Replacing the taps is another quick fix we can do.

Its in very good condition other than the fallen cabinet . We sould be able to do close camping trips with it as is for the next 2 years and then the big overhaul.. That's the plan

We will be able to reuse a lot. Stove is in mint condition. My husband wants to change the floor plan to better fit our family of four. We looked at a carvel layout with rear bed, really liked that !Maybe a bunk over the front gaucho. And replace the dark cabinets with light custom made ones( more storage) he is a finishing carpenter so easy to do. My father in law is a mechanic. And brother in law is an electrician . So we will have lots of free labor

Kdawn is offline   Reply With Quote