Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-17-2003, 07:13 PM   #1
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
How did you spend your weekend??

I spent mine working on the 78 Argosy on the drive.

My 3 fantastic vent fans came last week so I had a job to do. I was able to get the mid coach and rear one installed. Mid coach is a manual unit, the rear is a full blown unit with a wall mount thermostat and fan control.

The strangest thing I found during the installs was the sealant that was used on the inside of the old vents. It was white, and gooey and still stuck to stuff like it was fresh. On my 76 it was vulcem inside and out. It made it less of a struggle to remove the old ones, for sure. I had to stop, because I ran out of vulcem

I also was able to get my replacement sewer pipe cover painted and installed. I have attached pictures of before and after.

Argosy owners take notice, your vent covers are ABS and will some day look like this....................
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	p8170067.jpg
Views:	1202
Size:	29.7 KB
ID:	2680  
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2003, 07:15 PM   #2
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
New vent cap, with new gasket installed:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	p8170068.jpg
Views:	1138
Size:	20.7 KB
ID:	2681  
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2003, 07:22 PM   #3
Rivet Master

South Shore , Kentucky
Nice Job!

I spent my weekend working. This would have been my week end off but they asked me if I wanted to work and so I did!

"A safe camper is a Happy Camper"

Bill & Donna

Air Forums Member # 2360
Silvertwinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2003, 07:28 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

Worked on the airstream all weekend. Removed old red numbers and replaced them, painted nameplate, and stripped and repainted step.
The new linoleum floor will be installed Thurs. (Last weekend we removed all interior furniture.)
Getting ready for a trip to Santa Fe.

Heidi
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	new#00194.jpg
Views:	1160
Size:	41.3 KB
ID:	2684  
hhuber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2003, 07:30 PM   #5
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
went shopping

found this for 4 bucks

john
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	cyclo mine1.jpg
Views:	1172
Size:	35.5 KB
ID:	2685  
john hd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2003, 07:43 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2004 28' Classic
Currently Looking...
huntsville , Alabama
remove the gas tank on my motorhome and chased parts . i know you cant buy parts on the weekend but i tryed. the 1 3/4 gas filler hose is an expensive piece of rubber $12.75 a foot and i need 3 feet. also going to replace the float and resistor in the tank. pressure washed the tank and painted it. watched the neighbors dog and house. house was a breeze only had the mail box got beat up . the teen agers here get a kick outa beating heck out of a mail box. the dog wanted to play even when it was hot. and when dark.even when it rained. sure was glad to see my neighbor come home. went to see the braves . his turn is labor day weekend he gets a break i take the dog with me. lol
al
2004 classic 28 WB , Pro Pride P-3 hitch
centramatics wheel ballancers 300-556
wb13798 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2003, 08:03 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Fun-Lovin
Yep I had a buisy one also. Spent friday afternoon installing the right had side tail, turn, and backup lights and running down the missed wired truck to trailer cable. Saturday I found a short in the original connection on the trailer end of the cable, I replaced this with a new 7 way wiring harness on both airstream and cable. Now I was able to get started on my airstream.
I have decided to do a interior remodel of the front and to get rid of the smell of smoke from the previous owner. Carpet was the first casuality as I ripped that out with the pad, oh what a mess. I have removed the front couch and the curb side small table/radio storage unit. I have found a leek at the front roadside corner when it rains and believe that it is caused by the front window protective awning hinge but not exactly sure at this time. Any Ideas? Well I ran out of time to do anymore but will be back at it hard on my next days off (thursday, friday, and saturday). I was looking in my owners manual and It shows units that have one of the twins using the same style of fold downs as the couch. Im thinking I will do mine this way instead of my original plan to install a murphy bed. Maybe I should post start a thread and post pictures of my progress.

Greg
Fun-Lovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2003, 08:04 PM   #8
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Mixed weekend

Tore out the carpet from the Airstream to get ready for the cork floor on Saturday. Also dropped by Goodwill on an impulse and they had just what I needed to put a wine rack on top iof the refrigerator for $2.50. it is a brand new chrome and black rack that I can modify to hold 3 bottles. It will be much better than putting the bottles under the dinette seat or in the bottom of the wardrobe.

Today (Sunday), I started to modify the wine rack in the workshop. The major part is done. Now, I am in thinking mode on the best way out of several possibilities to attach it to the cabinet.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2003, 08:52 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Austin , Texas
Thumbs up $4 cyclo!!

What are ya gonna do with that, John?

I bet if a cyclo could talk that baby would have some stories, huh? Wonder what vintage Airstream it had the pleasure of polishing? Looks to be an old one, ungrounded cord by the looks of it. That is probably the only thing they changed on them over all these years.

Chas
Chas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2003, 04:21 AM   #10
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
Re: $4 cyclo!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Chas
What are ya gonna do with that, John?

I bet if a cyclo could talk that baby would have some stories, huh? Wonder what vintage Airstream it had the pleasure of polishing? Looks to be an old one, ungrounded cord by the looks of it. That is probably the only thing they changed on them over all these years.

Chas
chas,

it is no doubt old, the cord is grounded.

my buddy rick got one also, for five dollars! i'm thinking we are gonna be polishing his 31 footer.

from what i have heard from people who have done this before, we are gonna need both of them if we want to finish his in a timely manner.

perhaps we could do it in a tag team manner, 4 guys, two polishers and lotsa beer!

btw, mr. buzzy frankenvolt finally died after a trip to s, dakota. he is now resting peacefully in the junk bin! worked for a while anyway.

john
john hd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2003, 05:34 AM   #11
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Installed a trans temp gauge on the car. Also placed the wires for that and the wires for the trailer brakes in flex loom tubes and secured them to the chassis parts (frame, etc). Found that the place that installed the hitch and did the brake wiring just pulled the brake wires and tie wrapped them to the plastic GAS LINE down to the rear of the car! So, I took care of that and then changed the oil, lubed the chassis and found that one of my front stabilizer bar end links was totally missing!

BTW, not towing in 90+ degree heat, the trans got to 185 degrees. Can't wait to see what happens when towing.....

Eric
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2003, 05:36 AM   #12
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
Finished the front inner sheet metal and some smaller components that I needed before going much further . Finished the control layout, Rev. 107b4.

John
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	front1.jpg
Views:	1070
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	2690  
74Argosy24MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2003, 05:44 AM   #13
Lost My Rivets

2013 30' Classic
New Braunfels , Texas
Spent Sunday installing a fantatic vent. My first job on my new trailer and I was a little nervous cutting the corners so the new vent would fit. No problems, although it took most of the day.

Next weekend I will start replacing all the gaskets on the trailer; vents, windows, and door.

Slow and cautious, John
jdleezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2003, 12:02 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

I spent mine working, next weekend I need to install my fantastic fan. Hey, John, mosey on up I 35 and show me how to cut those corners. I'll keep the beer cold for ya. Mike
wildcat455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2003, 12:28 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

new kitchen faucet, delta with removeable handle, replaced 2 soap dispensers, replaced micro wave/convection oven, put in missing rivets in door, replaced all screws on windows with stainless steel. Found a lead on reasonable priced leather upholstery for dinette, chair, gaucho. The list goes ever on.
"You don't need a hobby, you have an Airstream"
chris/mareinmn
cmgirdwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2003, 02:10 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

1954 22' Flying Cloud
1954 25' Cruiser
2005 25' International CCD
Paradise , Texas
Took the kids and the Overlander to Dinosaur Valley State Park in Glen Rose for a end of the summer campout before school starts back. Spent the day Saturday either swimming in the river or sitting in the A/C. I'll be glad when summer decides to call it quits.
AirForums #1565
WBCCI #7162
Heart of Texas Camping Unit
Paul Mayeux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2003, 03:05 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
Edina , Minnesota
Three nights of dry camping in the A/S with my wife and 2 girls and fly fishing for native brown trout in southeastern MN.
Old 08-18-2003, 05:00 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
Played a bunch of guitar!! then-----
checked my ever loosening alternator belt again, filled my water tank and added bleach to clean it, and dumped it.
Cleaned the roof of the Airstream.
Put new counter tops in my kitchen in the house not the AS.
Put together a new porch swing for the deck I built lat month.
Drank a few beers and ate some hot wings.
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2003, 05:02 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
We spent the last TWO weekends, both three day weekends due to a vacation day and a Catholic holiday... IN A TENT! At East Harbor State Park in Lakeside, OH, with the triple-axle AS back home in the driveway.

We made the weekend before these a three day also, but stayed at a bed & breakfast on Kelley's Island, OH. That was the weekend we picked up our new Boston Whaler and attended the BW Owner's Rendezvous held on the island.

Got hooked on boating on Lake Erie, which is only about 3 hours from here, but still too far to make two trips to bring the AS for a three day weekend. On longer vacations, we'll rent a truck to tow the boat (and haul one of the Harleys).

For those not familiar with Whalers, they're the unsinkable ones that are cut in half (or thirds) in demos dating back to their origin in 1958. As with Airstreams and Harleys, owners are part of a devoted brotherhood, and most own and restore older "classic" models. The "rendezvous" is the parallel with the Airstream rally. Spotting another out on the water is like spotting another Airstream in a campground.

Anyway, that's what we've been up to. Here are some pictures.
Old 08-18-2003, 05:13 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

Bought a tow vehicle

My wife and I bought a 1987 Suburban.

1 owner - who is meticulous on maintenance, so the 350 engine runs like a top. He ordered it special - it's a 3/4 ton, gasoline - but with a standard transmission. Haven't seen too many of those around. Bonus - the colour of the vehicle is almost the same color as the trim on the airstream (my wife loves that.)
DMAYRES is offline   Reply With Quote