Old 09-28-2003, 09:45 PM   #85
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Dang, Shari, you've got the flags, the flamingos, the whole nine yards! Good for you!
Just wait until next year when I have that fancy "vintage" awning!

Shari

Old 09-28-2003, 10:09 PM   #86
3 Rivet Member

Send a message via AIM to JodynJeep Send a message via Yahoo to JodynJeep
I towed my Safari up for its first maiden voyage to Leavenworth, WA for the weekend. The local WBBCI chapter was holding a outting so I attended..Didn't start as well as I had hoped though. I had an exhausting week and well with everything loaded ready to go - off we went. All was well until Steven's Pass where I blew a bearing or something. Made it over the pass and into Leavenworth but for the life of me could not find the road I needed to go on. All the way through town and back with my Jeep pinging like a banshi (do banshi ping?). Passed the turn off severtal times and ended up in someone's driveway. Meanwhile everyone in the WBCCI club is yelling at me from over the fence .... sigh well ... finally got all settled in and thanks to Julianne got over my exasperation...

Maiden voyage was awesome. No mechanical failures on my '04 and since we were dry camping - everything worked better than I thought. Had heat, and everything cranked - and lasted two days on battery (minus a stint on generator for a few hours for the TV)

Met alot of interesting people, and hoped I was successful in getting a few folks interest peeked in checking out this website. Amazing looking at how totally different even same models only a year or so apart can be.

All in all was a good weekend. I ended up driving my Jeep back 2 hours to pick up my F-350 from home, for the return trip home with the AS however. The good news is - I will be getting that Engine / Transmission upgrade now... and I didn't have any worries with my trailer which relieves me after reading about some of the issues some people have had with the new models...Overall great weekend and a great bunch of people to hang out and get to know.

Old 09-28-2003, 11:52 PM   #87

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Jody, glad to hear you had a good time in Leavenworth. We're definitly going to the Halloween Rally in Westport, WA, so if you decide to go, we'll see you there. It's good to hear your Safari worked out fine for you too. You never know how those first trips are going to go. Sorry you broke your jeep. Otherwise did it tow ok?

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2003, 06:10 AM   #88
Just an old timer...

Tipton , Iowa
Worked on "the wall"

(Pink Floyd playing in the background...)

A couple of weeks ago, we had two egress windows installed in our basement. There was a LOT of leftover dirt from the window wells, so we moved it to the side of the garage to make a parking pad for the 34'. We built the pad up a little over two feet on the 'downhill' side, and that required a retaining wall. So, 44 feet by 2 feet of 12x8x6 inch block later, the Great Wall has come to be... one 34lb block at a time. I'm STILL draggin'! A couple more loads of road gravel to back fill and level off, and we'll be set for the winter.

Photos to follow... if I can lift the camera...

Roger
Old 10-26-2003, 06:31 PM   #89
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Tampa Bay , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64 Send a message via Skype™ to thenewkid64
We went camping, sort of and I worked on the MH.

We spent friday and Saturday at friends about 50 miles away to do a rally plan. I worke don the Carb. Even though the motor was new the carb was old.

My engine started to stumble at stops and if I did not do the pop it in neutral, and use one foot for the throttle and one for the brake at the same time dance, it would die before I came to a stop. Let me tell ya stopping the MH without boosted brakes is a scary workout!

This started last week on the way to our first rally of the year. I tried cleaning the carb with little success. BTW idle on start is fine, idle after a run is fine once you restart.

When the new engine was installed the mechanics said they could not get the idle jet to set/change. Turning it made no difference in idle, and a new carb was reccomended as this was an original Q-jet.

I ordered the Eldebrock 1903 and had it here on last Wend. but I was not sure I would have enough time to install it before we left on Fri, so we went with the stumble. Boy was it a tense 100 mile round trip. Note to self, next time fix it before you leave.

Got home early today and decided to tackle the carb. I had one installed on the 76, but I had my mechanic do it. I decided I could do this and I did. Took 3 hours start to finish. Well almost finish I still need to run the braided steel fuel line. Summit shipped me the wrong ends. But that will not take more than an hour to install. Not a stumble to be had, vacum looks good on the dash gauge, but I have a few questions for the gearheads:

1. What sould the hot idle RPMs be?

2. How do I adjust the idle or low side jet? Does it need to be done? Is this what I need the Magical tool for?

3. Idle is fine, but I seem to have some raggedness as I accellerate from stops if I go gently. WOT is not a problem. What do I need to adjust?

4. Anybody need a Q jet to rebuild? It's yours for the freight cost!

What did you do this weekend?
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2003, 07:01 PM   #90
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
Idle- 600 in drive, 900 in neutral/park.

Roughness- check your plugs. They could be shot from running rich.

John
Old 10-26-2003, 07:27 PM   #91
Airstream Driver

1997 30' Excella
1983 31' Airstream310
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally posted by thenewkid64

2. How do I adjust the idle or low side jet? Does it need to be done? Is this what I need the Magical tool for?
Yes and yes. I always had to set the mixture on new carbs.
AIR #13
PeterH-Airstreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2003, 09:37 PM   #92
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Those new quads are prtty close out of the box but sounds like it may still be a little rich at idle.

I would at least pull the plugs and see how they look and replace if they are wet like Peter advised.

I use a vacuum gage to set base idle. Basic premis is that if it's running right your going to have the most vacuum.

Set idle to about 850 rpm. hook up vac gage to central port that will pull signal from both sides of the intake if it has a dual plane intake (most GM engines have this factory) If you have the vacuum opertate Thermac pree heat set up the port for that should work. It usualy pulls from the base plate port where the PVC does.

Watch the vac gage as you turn the idle screws. Adjust one side till you pull the most vac. Adjust the other side. Rest you 850 idle speed if it changes and do the rpocess a second time. Sometimes it may take three tries if the idle changes more then 30-40 rpm the second time.

I then give about 1/8-1/3 turn lean (clockwise) on both screws. running a hair lean at idle will keep the plugs from fouling and with no load on the engine it's not going to hurt anything. The accelerator pump usualy dumps a hair much just off idle and that will help keep it for going too rich till the main jets come on line.
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2004, 09:53 AM   #93
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
What did you get done?

A forum I am on we do a "What did you get done" post on Mondays. It's fun and motivational. Thought I would start one here and see how it does. If it works then we have a Monday thing were we can see what others have done and tell them what we have done.

Well I have had a lot of projects recently including some home remodeling and a new project vehicle so the Airstream has hit back burner for the last few months. I also had some health problems that side lined me for a few months late last year early this. For the most part the 59 is in pieces and those pieces now consume most of my garage.

This weekend I decided to get back into it. Even though I still have some issues with this truck I was mad at it and needed something else to do.

As an update my wife and I have been doing a frame off restoration of a 59 Caravanner that we inherited from my wife’s (Chili Pepper here) father. We dropped the shell back on after installing a new floor and new rocker section of the belly pan last fall. My plan was to redesign the belly pan to make it easier to drop should I need to do a repair.

This past weekend I Installed the belly pan from the axle forward. What I did when we were replacing the floor is I replaced the first 12 inches of the belly pan where it is visible from the side. I replaced it with the same 2024t3 Alcad the main body is made out of to spiff it up. I used some 1 inch wide by 1/8 inch thick bar stock to make a frame to attach the new rocker too just out of sight under the coach. This runs the length of the coach. I trimed off the edge of the old belly pan to get rid of the damaged areas from the coach bumping things and the ribs poking through.

It worked out better then expected but getting it in place was fun. Even cut down, that was still a 10foot long sheet to get lined up. I need to tie up the front once I get my water tank, umbilical and brakes installed and Vulchem the edge where they meet the new rockers so I have left that loose for the time.

So what did you get done?
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2004, 10:05 AM   #94
5 rivets, 1 loose screw

1966 20' Globetrotter
Saginaw County , Michigan
There are other forums??

May you camp where wind won’t hit you, where snakes won’t bite and bears won’t git you.

Rog0525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2004, 10:13 AM   #95
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
A picture's worth a thousand words...

Saturday was filled with lots of little detail projects to get ready for the VAC Rally next week. Built a new end panel & refinished the magazine rack, to be installed once the fridge gets home from it's trip to CA...

I polished myself into a corner Sunday afternoon...now I gotta get the other one done!

Shari
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0494.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	72.1 KB
ID:	7843  
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2004, 10:18 AM   #96
5 rivets, 1 loose screw

1966 20' Globetrotter
Looks nice Shari, what polish did you use?
I might mention that I ordered and received a sample of Gord's polish and it seems to work as well as Southern Shine.

May you camp where wind won’t hit you, where snakes won’t bite and bears won’t git you.

Old 07-19-2004, 10:21 AM   #97
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Nuvite 'F7' with a cotton buff on a drill first followed by 'F7' with the Cyclo. Still need to hit it with 'S'...but that's a project for another day.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2004, 10:32 AM   #98
5 rivets, 1 loose screw

1966 20' Globetrotter
Oh Shari how I wish I had your ambition. I don't know how you find time to keep Maxwell looking so sharp between moderating these forums and all else that you do.
What have I accomplished this week? Found a new leak in Liberty Belle. Maybe fix it b4 next monday and post that.
The sunny weather has kept me from any further polishing on my trailer but any excuse will do.