Old 05-16-2005, 09:38 PM   #197
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
My son came into town from college for a whole 24 hours - had a blast - good food etc. I did go out and attempt to put the next to last piece of flooring in, but forgot some straps I needed to pull the skin together, I also replaced my one broken window and put a new rubber gasket on it. I also cut my first piece of alunimum - all went well - I get that piece of floor in next weekend.

Ken J.

Albuquerque National Balloon Fiesta
Rally
Vintage Trailer Academy - Formerly the original
restoration rally
Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 11:33 PM   #198
Rivet Master

1961 22' Safari
Vienna , Virginia
Got the front of our frame repaired (welded). Big difference! Also finished cleaning silicone out of a window frame, removed the kitchen and cut out some more of the flooring. Celebrated with a glass of wine, which was promptly spilled on laptop, incapacitating the keyboard. Today, tried to clean said keyboard, gave up, hooked in regular keyboard and ordered new laptop keyboard.

Didn't get to drink wine, but happy with my efforts anyways. Now trying to clean up old oven/range top.

And drinking Fresca...away from the computer.

Mary

Old 07-11-2005, 09:16 AM   #199
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Punch-list

At this time last year, I was up to my neck in stuff needing to be done to put my gutted Overlander back together. It was a nice change of pace to work minor issues.

One under-bed storage door was sticking a bit in the warm weather. It would not have been a big deal, but that bin is where the Boyz' DVDs & tapes are kept, so it was opened a lot last weekend (they remove, we replace ). Their mother appreciated me trimming the door a bit.

The light switch over that area was also going out, so it was replaced.

We noticed the dishes stored under the oven (next to the refrigerator) were generally dirty after a long trip. The partition between the oven & refrigerator had a squirrel-sized hole chewed in it (which I knew about during the refurb, but didn't think it would hurt anything). I think air must have been blowing up through the floor-mounted fridge vent, and onto the dishes. So I scabbed a piece of luan over the hole. Its not perfectly airtight, so I might try some expanding foam sealer if I have to wash any more dishes before use.

My aft roof vent fan bit the dust during the July 4 outing. Thanks to a purchase from Thenewkid64 last year, I had a hot spare ready to go. Thanks Brett!

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 03:17 PM   #200
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Speaking of 63 Overlanders....
I took the mockup interior back out and started prepping for paint this weekend. I am a firm believer that prepwork is the largest part of a successful paint job. I started scrubbing, but ended up using my orbital sander with a soft pad and 60grit sanding discs to remove all the powdery and loose old Zolatone. Some places it went right to metal, others the Zolatone was still very much intact, so I just knocked off the top layer. Boy am I glad I did, as I found huge runs and imperfections in the paint that would have been visible under the new paint. So I spent some extra time and sanding discs removing all the runs and sags from the old factory finish.
I think the next step will be washing everything down with TSP, removing unused glrommets etc, and making sure every rivet is in place, before spraying $ 150.00 a gallon Zolatone over it.
Old 03-20-2006, 08:17 AM   #201
Rivet Master

1994 21' Sovereign
Down on the corner... , CT
Thought this was an interesting thread and it needed a "jump start"

Yesterday the the hubby and I bought all our goodies..hoses, sewage hose, elec. 30amp cord, and chemicals...I'm sure we forgot a bunch but, now to figure out how to use everything. I can't wait to go camping!!!
Old 03-20-2006, 08:47 AM   #202
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Built another web page

When I got my Overlander over two years ago, the original plan was to fix it up just enough to use as temporary living quarters in case a planned house expansion rendered our home unlivable. But after the addition plans fell through, all efforts were redirected into refurbishing my Airstream. It was fun re-reading the posts I made to this thread documenting the progress.

Now, with 6000 miles of camping trips behind us, we are in the midst of building a revised version of the original blueprints. Click here to read construction details associated with "Project Big Tub". Right now, our bed is in the living room due to a rather large hole in our former bedroom's wall. But when the general contractor starts mods on the den, it's "Airstream, here we come!"

Tom
Old 03-20-2006, 09:28 AM   #203
Site Team

, Minnesota
Gee Tom. I didn't know you could have too much closet space, now I see you've accomplished it.

Did you plan to park the Airstream in one of the closets?
Old 03-20-2006, 10:37 AM   #204
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
...will grow to fit the space available

Quote:
Originally Posted by markdoane
Gee Tom. I didn't know you could have too much closet space, now I see you've accomplished it...

My wife does not see it that way!

Tom
Old 03-21-2006, 06:33 AM   #205
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
another possible use for closet space.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markdoane
Gee Tom. I didn't know you could have too much closet space, now I see you've accomplished it.

Did you plan to park the Airstream in one of the closets?
One of those closets would be a great place to build a model railroad..
Old 03-11-2007, 04:12 PM   #206
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
This was always one of my favorite threads during my Overlander's refurb.

With 70 degree temps this weekend, in preparation of another camping season, I sprayed silicone spray on the window gaskets & 7-pin wiring connectors, and washed the Airstream along with the three trucks in the driveway. Between that & two bike rides with one of my Boyz I'm worn out!

What did you get done this weekend?

Tom
Old 03-11-2007, 06:02 PM   #207
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
washed the salt off the silverado, got the other one dirty.

still waiting for the snow to melt.

john
Old 03-11-2007, 06:16 PM   #208
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Colleyville , Texas
Picked it up in Texas

After a long Winter spent with David Tidmore and crew at Roger Williams Airstream in Weatherford, Texas we picked her up and are preparing to head back to the hills of VA to make ready for Bristol Motor Speedway.
Carpet out and faux wood flooring installed.
13K BTU AC out and 15K BTU AC in.
Updated Moen fixture in the Kitchen.
Various SS access doors and vent covers on the exterior.
Matching Alcoa spare wheel.
Lots of misc. bits and pieces.
We're ready for a full travel season at last.
HAPPY TRAILS
Old 03-11-2007, 06:47 PM   #209
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Raked the muskrat debris out of our pond, planted pansies, helped install our daughter's invisible fence for her Weimaraner, talked to our Airstream, went inside her and sat a while after checking for leaks, gathered up a few items left inside after our last camping in the fall. . .a good time was had by all! ~G
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 07:07 PM   #210
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
New Holland , Ohio
A busy weekend!

Brad has been industriously working on the 310. We found Friday that the previously happily working water pump had given up the ghost, so he pulled out the used pump that was stored in the MH and surprise, it worked! It still needs some parts though, to work right, so two rebuild kits will soon be on order (we always want to travel with a good spare!).

He got the washers on the entry door hinge pins (the door was sagging and not closing well), and the door closes nicely now. He also took the marker lights off the back (they were not original) and temporarily sealed the holes until we get our new LEDs.

The Nutone food center with attachments I found on eBay came in and we got it installed (the old one was rusty and yucky and had no attachments). The blender broke in shipment and the mixer was frozen up, but the seller is making good on them and we got replacements from eBay. It is such a cool appliance!

I got the cellular shades installed in the sofa and dinette windows and still have to get the other two cut down for the bedroom side windows (found those at Lowes for $10 each since they had been returned!). I also cleaned the inside of the entry door--it was FILTHY!

I know he's been doing some other Airstream stuff too, but not sure what. I have been brush cutting and cleaning house in preparation for some friends' visit this coming weekend.

Here is a pic of the scaffolding he built so he can replace the a/c gaskets and check out the fans and vents and stuff on top of the 310:

Click image for larger version

Name:	3-10-07 Scaffolding.JPG
Views:	55
Size:	165.7 KB
ID:	33802

I hope you all had fun and productive weekends, too!

Susan

1984 310 Limited Motor Home "The Rockin' A"
Alumatube is offline   Reply With Quote