Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-12-2015, 08:09 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
What classifies as a "museum restoration"?

I have a 64 Overlander. I'm getting ready to sell it, but was wondering about classification. I haven't seen any of the restorations on the classifieds that did what I did. When you walk in, pretty much everything is completely original, or made vintage. The stove and fridge are original and work very well, and have just been cleaned and polished and necessary repairs made. All cabinets, counters, tub, toilet bench are original. The floors cut to 9" tiles. The bifold doors were carefully disassembled and rebuilt with new sunbrella fabrics that look very close to the original.

I added gray tanks and a new black tank, but they all are in the belly pan and I kept the profile on that smooth, and put the valves in the same location as the original. The marker lights are reproductions of the original, but have LED lights. The Astrodome is new, but same as the original.

Last night, I was running some wiring for a tiny night light I'm putting in a hidden location. It lights the floor when you open the front door. I saw an old phone jack in the closet. I just took it out, but then was thinking about it. It will never be used.

Does anyone really try a museum restoration? If you knew what you were looking at, you'd know the 9" tiles on the floor were VCT and not asbestos. the little digital module on the wall for the heat pump is obviously not original. And the faucet on the sink is not original, but looks as period as I could get and still get something I knew didn't have lead in it.

So, is there a definition? Is mine restored, but not museum?

Thanks,

rob.
robwok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 08:44 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Sounds to me you have a true "restored" trailer per the Price vs Condition Guide.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 08:59 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideOut View Post
Sounds to me you have a true "restored" trailer per the Price vs Condition Guide.

Shari

That's helpful. Definitely restored vs reconditioned.
Old 10-12-2015, 07:56 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
And probably a Museum Restoration would be just like it came out of the factory or off the dealer floor. That is things like incandescent lights, if that is what it had originally, exact countertop materials, same water and electrical systems as it came with, period tires and wheels, jacks, and on and on and on.

Most of us want an improved trailer, which might look like (as much as possible) the original but functionally is better, with newer technology items. Museums are nice but can be hard to live in.

I would judge that most do not want a museum quality older RV. But they may wish it to have the feeling, flavor, texture and so on of another time. But with some more modern things which were not available when it came off the line.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 08:32 AM   #5
Zil
4 Rivet Member

Curtis Wright
Currently Looking...
Eyren Haven , South Jersey
My dad said, "I don't want something old. I want something new that looks old."
Zil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 09:38 AM   #6
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
Museum restoration is an exact duplication of the original specimen. The most minuscule detail can be verified. This goes as far as identical screws, manufacturers.....

In auto restorations points are lost by using incorrect styles of wiring, connectors, tape, glue, etc etc.

A museum restoration typically is never to see the sun again let alone used!
AtomicNo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 09:56 AM   #7

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
In the automotive world, what you've done would probably be called a "RestoMod" since it's restored where practical (and visible, where possible) and modernized/modified where that's genuinely better and essentially invisible (gray tank, LED lighting, modern converter-charger, etc.)

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 10:34 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
Thanks. there were a couple places where I replaced the slotted screws with Philips head just because they were such a pain, but not where it was obvious. I was trying to come up with a way to make the heat pump digital readout less obvious by using some vintage parts from other things, but I didn't want to affect the airflow, so I left that alone.
Old 10-13-2015, 01:14 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicNo13 View Post
Museum restoration is an exact duplication of the original specimen.
I suppose "Museum" condition would also apply to an original Airstream that has never been altered, rarely if ever used, and is in original showroom condition - somehow, miraculously escaping the signs of time...

I doubt any of those exist...

Personally, I would feel sorry for such a trailer, never having served it's purpose.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 03:12 PM   #10
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideOut View Post
I suppose "Museum" condition would also apply to an original Airstream that has never been altered, rarely if ever used, and is in original showroom condition - somehow, miraculously escaping the signs of time...

I doubt any of those exist...

Personally, I would feel sorry for such a trailer, never having served it's purpose.

Shari
Kind of like the little old lady who only drove it to church on Sunday...
AtomicNo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 08:19 AM   #11
Regular Guy

1978 31' Sovereign
Hot Springs , Arkansas
Look but don't touch. Where's the fun in that?
NavyCorpsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 08:11 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
I just posted a bunch of interior pics in a new thread..