Old 07-21-2016, 07:01 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member
1966 24' Tradewind
versailles , Kentucky
What are your tricks?

We have been working on our trailer all summer. The heat has been difficult but it is really at dangerous levels recently and predictions are for upper 90s through the weekend. It's really cramping our efforts to meet our target of having it ready for a Thanksgiving shakedown trip. Some of you have wonderful indoor space to work but our garage is full of cars. So those of you like us who work in the weather what are some tricks to make it a little more bearable so we don't have to just throw in the towel on these days. We still have quite a bit of sealing and leak chasing before we can move to the majority of the inside work. I use a cooling towel and dark sunglasses to cut the aluminum glare. What do you do? Valarie

hippiechick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 07:07 PM   #2
Blue Highways Explorer
2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
7,650' , Colorado
Uhh....move the cars.

This is the strangest life I've ever known - J. Morrison

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB with ProPride
2011 Ford F150 Lariat Ecoboost V6 Turbo Gasser
mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 07:12 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member
2015 28' Flying Cloud
Newtown , Pennsylvania
Keep a water hose nearby. Hose yourself down.

50 amp, Awning package
2015 Ram 2500 6.7 TD, Blue Ox 1000 lb.
4 Lifeline AGM, Trimetric 2020
PD9160 converter, Prosine 1800 inverter
2x eu2000i Propane
AstroBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 07:15 PM   #4
Rivet Master
2015 22' FB Sport
Kansas City , Missouri
Can you get some shade up over your workspace? Consider a large tarp strung up over it all, or a walmart carport, or even a couple of patio umbrellas placed somewhat strategically.

I work in the HVAC industry (I work inside), but saw a contractor picking up equipment a few weeks ago at our warehouse. He had a large patio umbrella in the back of his truck. I asked him about it. He said that they learned to bring that, put it up in a stand to shade the air conditioner outside. That it cools it down enough to not make it too hot to the touch.

And don't overlook the "old school" ice and fan. Get your roasting pan out, put a large block of ice in it, and blow a fan over the ice where you are working. It will help.

If it's too much to bear, and you can spare the money, there are also "portable" AC units at places like costco and the big hardware stores. They are about $300-400, but that is something you might consider getting, using, and then selling when you complete your project.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 07:30 PM   #5
Rivet Master
1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
Uhh....move the cars.
Seems the simplest, most obvious solution.
Cameron & the Labradors
Kai & Samm
North Vancouver, BC
AIR #11529
Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death! - Mame Dennis
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 08:26 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member
1966 24' Tradewind
versailles , Kentucky
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
Uhh....move the cars.
they're vintage show cars so probably not happening and don't think the trailer would fit height wise anyway. We are always debating what vehicle needs to be in the garage the most. We did move out the 56 VW Beetle oval window out and put it under a car cover to accommodate all the interior of the Tradewind while we're renovating. We do have a couple of quick pop up awnings we use at car shows but they're not tall or large enough to shade the actual trailer.
hippiechick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 09:57 PM   #7
Figment of My Imagination
2012 Interstate Coach
Metairie , Louisiana
Another option is to do the work at a different time of the day. Avoid mid-afternoon when temperatures are highest. Work all morning, take an afternoon siesta, and resume work in late afternoon into the evening once temperatures have started dropping.

Timing the work so you're always on the shady side of the trailer helps, too, assuming you can orient it more-or-less north/south. Work on the west side in the morning, the east side in late afternoon, and of course take your siesta when neither side is shady.
WBCCI #1105

Engineering: Finding complex solutions to simple problems you didn't even know you had.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 12:03 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member
1969 31' Sovereign
Paris , Texas
Morning and evening work with a portable awning for shade. A large fan would be a good investment. Take hydration breaks often and save the beer for when you're done for the day.
e5earley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 03:01 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member
2016 23' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
get use to it?

Sadly that's the normal temperature range for us most of the summer 90's-100's. I have an un-air conditioned workshop and I find the less I'm inside during the day the less it seems to affect me as it heats up during the day. But I also exercise/run outside in the heat at lunch where we're usually in the 90s.

Despite most of my life being in very hot areas of the world...I was stationed in Yuma AZ, and 29 Palms CA when I was in the Marines, and have lived in Texas most of my life. You still long for AC.

And sadly trying to get use to the heat is the only real trick I know if you spend any length of time outside in this stuff. Here is it 0400 and it's already 83 with 64% humidity... we'll drop some of the humidity during the day, but the heat is just with us until October usually... and you can't just hibernate in this type of weather for that long.
wbrisett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 06:05 AM   #10
Rivet Master
1955 22' Flying Cloud
1964 17' Bambi II
Clear Lake Shores , Texas
Houston is even worse

High 80's in the AM WITH HUMIDITY.
BambiTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 07:11 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1965 24' Tradewind
1962 28' Ambassador
Mesa , Arizona
Checking in from the hottest city in the USA. Feeling your pain, 120 scheduled for this weekend, but yes it's a dry heat most of the time.

Shade cuts the temperature by 13 degrees.

Those big pop ups awning will really help they just need to be elevated a bit. Take some 2x4s and cut 1-2 ft sections and drill holes into them to slide the awning legs into so you can move the awnings over or against the trailer. Also works with PVC pipes with holes drilled into. Kind of like making bed risers.

Shade sails mounted to poles in buckets with concrete. Roll/move the buckets into place and clip the sails onto the poles. Moves out of the way when not in use.

Work early in the morning, we try to be in by 0900.

Fans, wet cloths on necks, water spritzer bottles, work at night and what everyone else said.

Hang in there.

Hittenstiehl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 07:27 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member
1964 22' Safari
1968 26' Overlander
Beaver County , Pennsylvania
I agree with the shade suggestions. We had a metal carport installed years ago that works well to provide shade and for trailer storage, keeping most of the rain and hail away from the aluminum. Beyond that, I use one of those portable Air conditioner units and run the duct out what ever hatch is available. It's only an 8000BTU unit, so I use a small fan to move some of the dehumidified, cool air around. You can kind of see the unit on the left of this photo.

Good luck,

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2941.JPG
Views:	60
Size:	177.8 KB
ID:	267481  
64airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 07:40 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
Cadillac , Michigan
I have no suggestions for avoiding the heat but if you are going to weld inside the trailer with shell on I used some thick plastic sheeting to create a skirt around the trailer. This kept the wind at bay.
I taped it on with blue masking tape.
It worked great!
Dingo Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 11:22 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member
1967 26' Overlander
Spartanburg , South Carolina
Buy a few work lights on tripods. Not expensive at Home Depot or Harbor Freight. Start before daylight in the am and quit when the heat builds up. Also, try one of those portable garages for shade and later for weather protection.

Jacob D is offline   Reply With Quote