Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-10-2014, 01:06 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

What are the cost associated w/getting this Beauty - 2004 Classic AS up & running?

This is a 2004 Airstream Classic retailed at $36,000 (before damage), How much does it look like it would cost to repair this amount of front end damage?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	32644404_2X.JPG
Views:	252
Size:	83.0 KB
ID:	228337  
AirstrmLuv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 01:31 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1957 30' Sovereign of the Road
1959 28' Ambassador
1949 24' Limited
Peru , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by AStreamLover View Post
This is a 2004 Airstream Classic retailed at $36,000 (before damage), How much does it look like it would cost to repair this amount of front end damage?
Be very wary of a trailer like this. It will likely have a salvage title & in some States may not be possible to put back on the road, regardless of the work you put into it. The resale value will be compromised with a salvage title as well.
Colin
Colin H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 01:51 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2004 31' Classic
lubbock , Texas
My guess: a boatload ... A BIG boatload.

If you want/need a more accurate estimate, you should have a (highly) qualified Airstream builder give you an estimate for the repair. Then add another 50%.

Then you ll have a rebuilt Airstream with a salvage title that is worth 25% of the book value that one without a salvage title would have.

Don t do it.
jump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 01:53 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2004 31' Classic
lubbock , Texas
Also: don t trust ANYONE that gives you a dollar figure for repairing that damage from just a photo.
jump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 02:08 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
I can fix it.

http://youtu.be/A5cneCgNA9U
Old 12-10-2014, 02:20 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

Thanks for the prompt responses. Yeah, it's titled as salvaged, and branded as "salvaged rebuildable". Rebuildable, but at a ridiculous cost and still with the salvaged title...ummmm...no thanks.
Old 12-10-2014, 02:41 PM   #7
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1968 17' Caravel
2005 30' Safari
Somewhere , roaming America
I'm glad you brought this up. People have been selling wrecked Airstreams on eBay for years and they are a bad deal. We used to discuss this regularly in Airstream Life magazine in the "eBay Watch" department.

In every case, the Airstream was totaled by the insurance company because the cost to repair would exceed the value of the trailer when fixed.

Often the photos don't show (and the seller won't acknowledge) that the damage extends to the frame. Hidden damage is almost always present, even if the trailer looks rebuildable.

There is no way to bring a totaled Airstream back to original condition economically. Even if you are willing to devote many hours of your own labor, it's unlikely you'd end up with a good deal compared to just buying a decent used trailer.

These totaled salvage trailers should be regarded as "parts trailers."

rluhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 03:09 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
If you wanted a stationary "cabin in the woods" AND you could get this for $600 AND you already have a lot of skills, then with another $8000 to $15000 you could do it. The frame almost certainly has suffered extensive damage, both the inside and outside curved segment skins will need to be replaced and as you can see the damage extends beyond the curved front into the side panels - those are about $6000 to be replaced but there's a CHANCE they could be straightened "enough" to be passable. The window frame on the side windows would need replacing along with the side wraparound window and frame. At least 8 feet of flooring would need to be replaced too. The list goes on and on.

Since you've already decided to just walk away - all I need to add is "BRILLIANT"

Paula
Old 12-10-2014, 04:20 PM   #9
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1959 28' Ambassador
1949 24' Limited
Peru , New York
Quote:
Thanks for the prompt responses. Yeah, it's titled as salvaged, and branded as "salvaged rebuildable". Rebuildable, but at a ridiculous cost and still with the salvaged title...ummmm...no thanks.
What were they asking for it?
Colin
Old 12-10-2014, 04:56 PM   #10
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Just for future reference to the next person that does a search on rebuilding one of these Ebay wrecks, there is one at our shop now that was purchased as a rebuildable wreck on Ebay. So far, for a 2009 23' front bedroom trailer, they have spent $15K buying it, another $8K so far just to get it weatherproof. It still needs an entire side sheet, three more segments, rear bumper, the rear frame where the bumper mounts replaced, and some interior work. Figure another $12K to make it like new.
So, $35,000 plus towing from where it was purchased for a 6 year old trailer with a salvage title.
There is a 2010 model in like-new condition for $36K on RV trader right now.
Old 12-10-2014, 05:05 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

The bid was around $3700 the last I checked. And It wasn't an Ebay auction, it was a Copart Auction. And I noticed the reserve hadn't been met yet, so I'm really not sure if it's sold. I'll look and report back. I'm curious as to what someone would plan to do with it, unless they are quite skilled, or maybe use the parts, or if it's stationary as someone mentioned, I guess it could work for someone...
Old 12-10-2014, 05:09 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member

Wow! That's a lot of cash going out for a salvaged vehicle. I'm learning that these fixer uppers are not always the best deal with an Airstream, but I can't afford a new one so I'll have to really do my research. Sheesh...
Old 12-10-2014, 06:00 PM   #13
1 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
Just for future reference to the next person that does a search on rebuilding one of these Ebay wrecks, there is one at our shop now that was purchased as a rebuildable wreck on Ebay. So far, for a 2009 23' front bedroom trailer, they have spent $15K buying it, another $8K so far just to get it weatherproof. It still needs an entire side sheet, three more segments, rear bumper, the rear frame where the bumper mounts replaced, and some interior work. Figure another $12K to make it like new.
So, $35,000 plus towing from where it was purchased for a 6 year old trailer with a salvage title.
There is a 2010 model in like-new condition for $36K on RV trader right now.

Wow! That's a lot of cash going out for a salvaged vehicle. I'm learning that these fixer uppers are not always the best deal with an Airstream, but I can't afford a new one so I'll have to really do my research. Sheesh...
Old 12-10-2014, 06:02 PM   #14
1 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin H View Post
What were they asking for it?

Colin

The bid was around $3700 the last I checked. And It wasn't an Ebay auction, it was a Copart Auction. And I noticed the reserve hadn't been met yet, so I'm really not sure if it's sold. I'll look and report back. I'm curious as to what someone would plan to do with it, unless they are quite skilled, or maybe use the parts, or if it's stationary as someone mentioned, I guess it could work for someone...
Old 12-10-2014, 08:24 PM   #15
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1959 28' Ambassador
1949 24' Limited
Peru , New York
Quote:
I repaired a front corner smash several years ago at my shop. Although it appeared from the outside that the damage was limited to one corner, the whole front end of the body had shifted over. This was a challenging repair, but we completed it & it was structurally sound & it looked great, however it cost somewhat more than what my client hoped, & it took longer than what we wanted to put into to it.
Bottom line is that if you're doing it yourself, you have all of the skills & equipment necessary, plus you don't care about the monetary value when you're done, you might end up with a good trailer, but its still a big risk.
Colin

Colin
Old 12-11-2014, 02:03 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

Mission Viejo , California
Keep in mind that you might not be able to get insurance for a salvaged trailer at all, even if it's better than new after repairs.
Bill Lynch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 04:02 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2015 16' Sport
Oakville , Ontario
15k+
timhortons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 05:30 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
It looks like a leaver rite, leave it where you found it, it was hit hard and the whole body is most likely sprung, you don't need all those problems.....
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 10:37 PM   #19
1 Rivet Member

Thanks for the input everyone! I'm beyond convinced that this or any other wrecked airstream deal wouldn't be the right move for me, even if the deal seems really great. It appears I will pay in the long run, so I might as well keep saving and look for something more in my budget and that meets my needs. Wish me luck!

Oh and by the way, I read some of the reviews on that Copart website and they seriously sound like bad news. I'm gonna pass on them too as tempting as some of the "deals" may seem. Wow, this process of finding the right airstream seems much harder than I initially imagined it would be, or maybe I'm just being too impatient...😔
Old 04-01-2015, 02:21 PM   #20
1 Rivet Member

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Longmont , Colorado
Looking at your trailer and the damage done to the front end, I've got a question: is the upper front and rear end of the Airstream trailers interchangeable regardless of the length of the trailer?
Hrodriguez is offline   Reply With Quote