Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum

Old 12-10-2014, 08:24 PM   #15
Rivet Master
Commercial Member
1957 30' Sovereign of the Road
1959 28' Ambassador
1949 24' Limited
Peru , New York
Originally Posted by AStreamLover View Post
The bid was around $3700 the last I checked. And It wasn't an Ebay auction, it was a Copart Auction. And I noticed the reserve hadn't been met yet, so I'm really not sure if it's sold. I'll look and report back. I'm curious as to what someone would plan to do with it, unless they are quite skilled, or maybe use the parts, or if it's stationary as someone mentioned, I guess it could work for someone...
I repaired a front corner smash several years ago at my shop. Although it appeared from the outside that the damage was limited to one corner, the whole front end of the body had shifted over. This was a challenging repair, but we completed it & it was structurally sound & it looked great, however it cost somewhat more than what my client hoped, & it took longer than what we wanted to put into to it.
Bottom line is that if you're doing it yourself, you have all of the skills & equipment necessary, plus you don't care about the monetary value when you're done, you might end up with a good trailer, but its still a big risk.

Colin H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 02:03 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member
Mission Viejo , California
Keep in mind that you might not be able to get insurance for a salvaged trailer at all, even if it's better than new after repairs.

Bill Lynch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 04:02 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member
2015 16' Sport
Oakville , Ontario
timhortons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 05:30 PM   #18
Rivet Master
2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
It looks like a leaver rite, leave it where you found it, it was hit hard and the whole body is most likely sprung, you don't need all those problems.....
tjdonahoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 10:37 PM   #19
Extreme Newbie & Novice
Currently Looking...
Accokeek , Maryland
Thanks for the input everyone! I'm beyond convinced that this or any other wrecked airstream deal wouldn't be the right move for me, even if the deal seems really great. It appears I will pay in the long run, so I might as well keep saving and look for something more in my budget and that meets my needs. Wish me luck!

Oh and by the way, I read some of the reviews on that Copart website and they seriously sound like bad news. I'm gonna pass on them too as tempting as some of the "deals" may seem. Wow, this process of finding the right airstream seems much harder than I initially imagined it would be, or maybe I'm just being too impatient...😔
AStreamLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 02:21 PM   #20
1 Rivet Member
2014 23' Flying Cloud
Longmont , Colorado
Looking at your trailer and the damage done to the front end, I've got a question: is the upper front and rear end of the Airstream trailers interchangeable regardless of the length of the trailer?
Hrodriguez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 09:57 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Originally Posted by Hrodriguez View Post
Looking at your trailer and the damage done to the front end, I've got a question: is the upper front and rear end of the Airstream trailers interchangeable regardless of the length of the trailer?

Airstream has changed the profile of the curve over the years. Explaining this in detail is a PIA. Big general swipe is that in the 50's Airstreams had 13 segments, then they went to seven, then five, and then the 5 segments were reshaped to be more squared - less round to increase headroom and overhead storage while still staying aerodynamic.

Currently Airstream makes three widths of trailers
  1. widebody - all 25' or longer Airstreams (8.5 feet at midline)
  2. standard 16' through 24' trailers (8 feet at midline)
  3. sport - sport 16 & 19's (european width 7.5 feet at midline)
The only difference if you look at them head on is in the center segments - most easily seen in the top segment where you might put your WBCCI red letters.

Could you take a wreck with an intact front end and plonk it onto this one? Well, works better in theory than in practice. First severe damage tends to extend beyond the end segments. When one is hit in the front, the damage below the floor caused by the frame being bent or broken can be severe. There are RIBS in the body - none in the front segments except below the windows. Anything that smashes a side segment usually deforms one or more ribs - kinda like stomping on a tin can... even if you try to stomp it back into round, the lid won't ever go back on. Side panels can literally have the rivets ripped out of them... so before even thinking of repairing this kind of damage you want to determine that the damage doesn't include the side panel.

Lastly - go to the factory and watch an Airstream or two built. The guys doing the riveting do it BY HAND. Grab a tape measure and you'll see there are variations of up to an eighth of an inch between rivets. No laser drills the holes in a tight tolerance. The holes on one front segment will NEVER be in exactly the same spot as the holes from the side panels from another unit.
A front segment goes on top of the sides, the rear segments tuck under the side segments (wind blown water that's why). Whichever part is on the bottom will be double holed and probably have a lot of holes that are elongated. Leaks anyone?
Today is a gift, that's why they call it the present.
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 07:39 PM   #22
1 Rivet Member
2014 23' Flying Cloud
Longmont , Colorado
Thanks, that was a great explanation !
Hrodriguez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 07:49 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member
1994 34' Excella
Warren , Manitoba
Now, if we could just find where this trailer went, and if it is being parted out as salvage. Some of us could use parts from it. Chris

WBCCI #7394
2002 Chev 2500 HD Duramax
1976 31' Gone but fondly remembered
CBWELL is offline   Reply With Quote