Views:	107
Size:	126.9 KB
ID:	86622  

Old 09-04-2009, 02:02 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Welcome! My best guess on the number is O 6155. Looks like a 1955 Safari. One more link http://service.airstream.com/files/l...637b4d48d2.pdf

1973 F-250 4X4 390
1965 Chevy Suburban 454
AIR 6030
WBCCI 4258
TCT

silverleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 02:04 PM   #3
Just an old timer...

Tipton , Iowa
That looks like it may be one of the many custom coaches that Airstream produced without a model designation. They were built using the 22' Safari/Flying Cloud frame and shell.

Roger
Old 09-04-2009, 02:18 PM   #4
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Can't quite make out the serial number on the ID tag by the door. That would sure help us figure out the model. I agree with Roger and believe it to be a Safari. Kind of a strange location for an air conditioner though.

Post some more pictures when you can.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 03:29 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by malzra View Post
I would also like to know How much Met-ALL cleaner should I estimate to get this puppy clean? and if there's somthing better I'm all ears
Hi,

Welcome to the forums! This trailer does look like it's in pretty good shape.

I don't know what Met-All is but I assume it's some kind of polish. Most folks restoring Airstreams use aircraft polishes, Rollite or Nuvite. I am partial to Nuvite, myself. . .

Lots more information on polishing here Home and here Vintage Trailer Supply - Vintage travel trailer parts and supplies! .

Good luck, and welcome to the vintage Airstreaming community.

Cheers,
Nuvi
Old 09-04-2009, 06:08 PM   #6

pensacola , Florida
Hey thanks sliver for the info it does look like that safari model I'll post some of the insides now it even has a REAL 8 Track!

also thanks Nuvite for the link for the polish, I only chose it to start with because I called airstream itself and asked what they used and they said Met-ALL polish but if this nuvite is better I'll use it but my question still remains

How much polish should I estimate to clean it?

Nuvite Polish

2 pounds ~ 8 pounds? (I know the question is how far do you wanna it?){I really would like to see a nice shimmer and bright no perfect mirror super finish}

p.s. I also thought it was a strange place to put a AC unit I gotta go hook it up and see if it works still, Also I think the plumbing isn't orginal because the pull down drawer right next to it won't open because the pipes are the way (Probley going to redo it at some point and make it more functional for a big guy like me)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3263.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	300.0 KB
ID:	86630   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3264.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	270.5 KB
ID:	86631  

Name:	IMG_3265.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	275.0 KB
ID:	86632   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3266.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	340.1 KB
ID:	86633  

Old 09-04-2009, 07:15 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
How much polish?

Quote:
How much polish should I estimate to clean it?

2 pounds ~ 8 pounds? (I know the question is how far do you wanna it?){I really would like to see a nice shimmer and bright no perfect mirror super finish}
Well, first of all understand that polishing an old, oxidized Airstream isn't a weekend project. You do it in stages. The first step is called "cutting" it, meaning grinding off the aluminum oxide with a coarse polish like Nuvite F7 using a powerful rotary polisher and wool buffs.

It took me about a month of full time work (8 hours a day, 5 days a week) to cut our 1960 16 foot Pacer down to bright metal using Nuvite F7. (That included stripping the aftermarket clear coat over the old oxidized aluminum.)

People with more experience polishing could probably have done it faster, but even experienced polishers will tell you it's a lot of work. Aluminum oxide is hard (a lot of the abrasives are aluminum oxide!) and it takes several passes to remove a heavy oxide layer to get down to bright aluminum.

I would take a wild guess that it will take you about two pounds of Nuvite F7 to cut your trailer.

After you've cut it you proceed to polish with one or two finer grades using a Cyclo polisher to remove the swirl marks produced by the rotary polisher. That doesn't take quite as long as cutting it as the aluminum polishes faster than grinding off the crust of aluminum oxide. I will take a wild guess at a pound of each of the finer grades but you might get by with half a pound of each.

Actually you will find that your trailer looks so much better after the initial cutting stage that you may let it go at that for a while.

But the main thing is that the trailer probably needs a whole lot more work than polishing, and polishing shouldn't be the first priority. Is the floor rotten? How's the plumbing and electrical? How's the axle and running gear? Best to give safety and serviceability priority over appearance.

Good luck,
Nuvi
Old 09-04-2009, 07:15 PM   #8
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Wow!! Somebody really either likes shag carpeting or got a really good deal on a bunch of it. I hope the woodwork isn't trashed underneath. That's a weird AC unit as half of it is outside and there's look to be just as much on the inside. Never heard of a Quiet Kool brand.

Keep those pictures coming.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Old 09-04-2009, 07:26 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
What's the tank hanging down underneath?

Hi,

I was looking more closely at your pictures and it sure looks like the interior is in good shape for its age.

I would get rid of that air conditioner.

In the first picture (taken from the road side) it looks like there is a big tank hanging down under the shell--road side forward. Do you know what that is? Might be a gray water tank added on by a previous owner. A 1955 trailer would not have originally had a gray water tank and probably wouldn't have had a black water tank--in that era the toilets tended to be "dump to daylight". You were either connected to a sewer hookup at a park or you dug a "gopher hole" when boondocking.

In any case that tank sticks down far enough that I would be concerned about its roadworthiness. The tank and the air conditioner hanging off the back make it look like this trailer has been a "park model" for a while. You probably need to "un-modify" these modifications to use it as a travel trailer.

Good luck,
Nuvi
Old 09-04-2009, 08:03 PM   #10
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
You also have a strange vent pipe just ahead of the entry door on the curbside. What is this pipe venting? Is it the fridge or possibly the water heater?

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Old 09-04-2009, 09:09 PM   #11
Just an old timer...

Tipton , Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfshr View Post
You also have a strange vent pipe just ahead of the entry door on the curbside. What is this pipe venting? Is it the fridge or possibly the water heater?

Brad
FF
If you look at the interior photo, it is right where the fridge is... so I'll bet it's the fridge vent.

Roger
Old 09-07-2009, 02:22 AM   #12

pensacola , Florida
Funny enough the floor boards are quite in good shape, I was told this trailer "Lived" in a hanger. But they'll be ripped out reguardless and replaced with marine plywood I want to make the bed at the end bigger and then generaly update the trailer with newer plumbing and appliances.

Only real problem I see with the undercarrige is at the tonque of the trailer the box tubeing has now become a "C" channel due to rust. Looks like somone tried to weld alot of metal on the front of it but I wouldn't call it very good (I'll post pics of it later) So more might found as I rip into it (I'm expecting it to be anyways!)

But for the cutting of the oxidation my variable speed dewalt buffer will work but your saying I'll need another "type" of buffer to get the swirl marks out of it?

Anyways I'm Not real sure why this trailer "seems" to have a tail pipe much less why there are flextubes coming out of them anyone ever seen this?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3257.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	429.3 KB
ID:	86743   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3261.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	347.7 KB
ID:	86744  

Name:	IMG_3259.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	272.2 KB
ID:	86745   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3258.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	367.5 KB
ID:	86746  

Old 09-07-2009, 02:39 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
What Airstream is this?

Greetings Malzra!

Welcome to the Forums and the world of Vintage Airstream ownership!

The "tail pipe" probably served one of two purposes . . . carrying the poles for a pole-type awning . . . or for carrying the flag poles for the flags that most WBCCI members fly at Rallys and during Caravans.

Good luck with your coach!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 10:43 PM   #14
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Quote:
Funny enough the floor boards are quite in good shape. But they'll be ripped out regardless and replaced with marine plywood.

Only real problem I see with the undercarrige is at the tonque of the trailer the box tubing has now become a "C" channel due to rust. So more might found as I rip into it.
Between the rusted frame in need of welding, your intention to replace the floor, and the fact that all kinds of non-standard plumbing appear to have been added, this trailer sounds like a good candidate for a "shell off" restoration. Airstream trailers are constructed as a "sandwich"; the shell (all the aluminum) is bolted to the frame with the floor clamped in between the shell and frame. To do a shell-off you take out all the interior cabinetwork and appliances, remove the inner skins (by drilling out the pop rivets) and then unbolt the shell from the frame (by cutting the bolts). Now the shell can be lifted off and set aside. The belly pan is removed and now you have a bare frame to work on as needed, and full access to the wiring and plumbing. When everything has been restored to your satisfaction the floor can be replaced by just laying the sheets of plywood on the frame, cutting the outside edges to the curve of the frame, setting the shell back on the new floor and installing new bolts.

That way you can for all practical purposes "make a new one out of an old one". But it's a lot of work. If the existing floor is OK you might want to think a while before replacing it.

Quote:
But for the cutting of the oxidation my variable speed dewalt buffer will work but your saying I'll need another "type" of buffer to get the swirl marks out of it?
Yeah, it's called a Cyclo polisher. Cyclo PolisherAluminum

Quote:
Anyways I'm Not real sure why this trailer "seems" to have a tail pipe much less why there are flextubes coming out of them anyone ever seen this?
The two rectangular pipes just look like aluminum downspout that has been attached to the trailer to store long skinny objects. The usual thing is the dump hose ("stinky slinky") but these pieces of downspout aren't big enough for that. Like Kevin said, could be flag poles or ???.

The big aluminum bulge is clearly a sewage tank as it has a standard dump valve and sewage fitting sticking out of it. Doesn't look like there's hardly any ground clearance--I wouldn't want to tow the trailer as it is.

Good luck,
Nuvi

Tags
1955, met-all, model, cleaning