Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-25-2018, 10:11 PM   #181
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
I just read this whole thread. Seems to me that we do not agree on what is needed, so how could Airstream satisfy all of us. Not possible.
Some people want every gadget, some want things a simple as possible. In order to satisfy as many people as possible, build a simple trailer, but provide add on options for those that want more.

What I would like, in no particular order of preference:
instead of standard, make entertainment systems, wifi and cell phone boosters, antennas, solar, etc. optional, but prep for easy add on modular systems or owner installed after market of their choice.
disconnect the rear bumper storage from the body skin to eliminate through wall leaks.
better clear coat/no corrosion.
no plastic trim on the exterior, less plastic on the interior.
solid wood cabinets, or metal. NO PARTICLE BOARD.
quieter air conditioner.
quieter furnace
better batteries
3 way refrigerator
better quality window, double pane option.
better insulation.
2 walk through doors.
conduits or accessible wire chase for all concealed wiring.
plumbing that drains by gravity.
conduit to roof for solar add on.
raise the frame above ground additional 3-4" (for sewer drain elevation)
disc brakes
double basin kitchen sinks
good mattresses
no carpet
aluminum framed skylights (Maxim)
better/quieter toilet fans
larger gray water tank
access ports to tank valves
city water connection enclosed
good water pressure reducing valves, no plastic junk
PVC waste pipe
stop using silicone caulk on all Airstreams
if a part is used when building a vehicle, ANY part, continue to provide replacement parts for the life of the vehicle

I do not want:
Alde
side vented refrigerator
fiberglass skin
Old 07-26-2018, 06:50 AM   #182
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
Wet seal the seams during construction to stop all of the seam leaks.
Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 04:21 PM   #183
Rivet Master

2009 25' FB Classic
Scottsdale , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morse View Post
I have a factory fitted battery Kill switch in my '88 Excella.

Yes my 2009 Classic battery switch does NOT kill all power the propane sensors are (were) hard wired to battery and would drain all power in days. Found this the hard way wish AS salesmen knew their products and would inform the buyers. I and I know others have heard from newbies that the salesman didn’t inform them of all systems. Shame that newbie have to learn the hard way or find a fellow RVer the help.
Old 08-01-2018, 03:13 PM   #184
2 Rivet Member

2018 33' Classic
Butler , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulnGina View Post
As a heat source option, I could envision a separate water heater and some Pex ran throughout the floor to provide some radiant heat. Put together the right way, it could be pretty efficient.
This already exists in the Classic line of trailers. It's called an Alde Hydronic Heating system and functions with both electric and propane. It is an excellent heater and got me through a harsh winter in temperatures down to 1-2 degrees F for sustained periods of time.
RussRamz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 03:14 PM   #185
2 Rivet Member

2018 33' Classic
Butler , Pennsylvania
I would like to see a wall-hugger recliner sofa replacing the back-breaking jackknife sofa in my Classic 33. I am already searching for a custom installation for this worthless piece of furniture.
RussRamz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 06:48 PM   #186
3 Rivet Member

1999 30' Excella 1000
Chatham , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by RussRamz View Post
I would like to see a wall-hugger recliner sofa replacing the back-breaking jackknife sofa in my Classic 33. I am already searching for a custom installation for this worthless piece of furniture.

Yes +1
bigfoot390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 07:48 PM   #187
3 Rivet Member

2011 28' Flying Cloud
Kingston , Nova Scotia
Wish list

I understand this wish list but sounds very expensive to me!
I think there should be options if wanted but I believe that most of airstreams issues revolve around quality control. I have spent many years in the automation field and we are paid to produce quality equipment and by not doing so we would be out of business. We are our own quality control.
They need to hire a person to supervise plant floor to over see the operations and stream line production because they must have missed this part of the process.
Products can be improved on of coarse but even the best product will not work without quality installations.
And again there are products that would not cost that much different to produce a far Superior trailer.
Rust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 08:35 AM   #188
Rivet Master

1956 22' Caravanner
Don Pedro Island , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rust View Post
I understand this wish list but sounds very expensive to me!
I think there should be options if wanted but I believe that most of airstreams issues revolve around quality control. I have spent many years in the automation field and we are paid to produce quality equipment and by not doing so we would be out of business. We are our own quality control.
They need to hire a person to supervise plant floor to over see the operations and stream line production because they must have missed this part of the process.
Products can be improved on of coarse but even the best product will not work without quality installations.
And again there are products that would not cost that much different to produce a far Superior trailer.
Not being a smart ass....but you should take a factory tour. I have taken 2 of them 2 years apart. And the problem is people...they can not hire enough to get the job done. They only can build 115 a week and they are selling 175 per week. They have invested in a new plant that will take them from 200,000 sq.ft. to 700+. That being said there is only so much automation, that can be done in a hand built vehicle. In reality every trailer is custom built. Not like the auto industry. I'm not sticking up for bad quality but there problems are deeper than automation.

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f11...ml#post1921527
islandtrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 11:58 AM   #189
1 Rivet Member

2019 30' Flying Cloud
Lucedale , Mississippi
A simple cup holder would be nice on the couch somewhere,,I even told the saleman,,"i'm sitting in a 80k RV and no place to set my beer"
Jugadorone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 01:16 PM   #190
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jugadorone View Post
A simple cup holder would be nice on the couch somewhere,,I even told the saleman,,"i'm sitting in a 80k RV and no place to set my beer"
Should have gotten the 30' Classic! Much better couch with "beer" holder!
This one shows in the 33' I know, but same couch in 30' Classic...I can tell you, the couch in the 28' FC and 30' FC suck compared to the Classic!

We are looking at retrofitting this model in our 28'...from Lambright...still working on this; not a slam dunk in the 28', but price is not too bad.
http://www.lambrightcomfortchairs.com/
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 01:41 PM   #191
2 Rivet Member

2008 23' Safari FB SE
Tucson , Arizona
Wood screws into composite panels

Many of these posts are just wishful thinking. A hail proof trailer? The heavy gauge steel roof on my house has hail dimples. I hope these don’t distract Airstream from taking this seriously, because there some recurring issues here. I will address two of those. A reputation for quality is hard to achieve, easy to lose.
1. Cabinets flying open en route, a serious design flaw. On one of several such incidents our three-tiered kitchen drawer destroyed itself and caused other damage. The latch had failed when two tiny wood screws attaching it to the composite cabinet pulled out, and there was no safety latch. I found that the drawer glides had only two screws each, though there were holes for five. Poor engineering, poor quality control.
2. Euro hinges got several complaints. I find that the problem is not with the hinges, but again with the wood screws used to attach them. The composite panels are like a tuna salad sandwich with plastic laminate for bread and sawdust for tuna. It is a good material; attractive, durable, inexpensive, warp-proof, but it is not wood. Wood screws are too small and pull out easily. The euro screw used by IKEA on composites solve this problem with a larger bore and deeper, sharper threads.
nmzouk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 01:58 PM   #192
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
NCR , Ontario
replace the dated water heater/furnace with a tankless model.

use the thankless for all water heating including replacing the furnace.

then there is only one device to worry about.
waninae39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 06:40 AM   #193
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Hinckley , Ohio
Airstream could put a 20’ unit on a 33’ frame and make the read a toy hauler and patio. It would not have to be enclosed. Then it could be 8’ wide. 13’ long.
Old 08-28-2019, 08:52 AM   #194
4 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Hillbilly Hollywood (Nashville) , Tennessee
Cup holders, Full Size Recliner the Overweight, Patio, Full Size Fridge, Satellite TV, Ducted A/C, Bigger Bed, Better Mattress, Nicer Couch, Heated Floor, Full Size Shower, Better Steps So You Don't Fall, More Comfortable or Capable Tow Vehicle, Room For Toys and More!

Why have an Airstream or any other trailer?

Why leave your house/home in the first place?

Why not save $150K and stay at home?

Apparently you cannot live without any of this crap so why cause all this personal heartache dragging a trailer around the country staying in neighborhoods (campgrounds) you don't like next to people you don't like in crowded places that end up being so disappointing when you git there?

That's right I forgot "We're Camping"!!!!

Remember "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts"
vintageracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 03:06 PM   #195
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageracer View Post
Cup holders, Full Size Recliner the Overweight, Patio, Full Size Fridge, Satellite TV, Ducted A/C, Bigger Bed, Better Mattress, Nicer Couch, Heated Floor, Full Size Shower, Better Steps So You Don't Fall, More Comfortable or Capable Tow Vehicle, Room For Toys and More!

Why have an Airstream or any other trailer?

Why leave your house/home in the first place?

Why not save $150K and stay at home?

Apparently you cannot live without any of this crap so why cause all this personal heartache dragging a trailer around the country staying in neighborhoods (campgrounds) you don't like next to people you don't like in crowded places that end up being so disappointing when you git there?

That's right I forgot "We're Camping"!!!!
Because if we stayed home and saved money, we would still be complaining! Might as well get an AS, get on the road, and at least feel your complaints are justified by those of us who are reading this!LOL (by the way, in your first "rant" you nailed most of the features that now come standard in the Classic model...
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 03:38 PM   #196
Rivet Master

2018 16' Sport
Charlotte , Vermont
I would just like to have more ground clearance.

Kim
Charlotte, VT
2010 F-150, 5.4l, V8, 3.55; Bramble: 2018 Bambi Sport 16
farafield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 03:25 AM   #197
2 Rivet Member

2003 30' Classic
Edisto Island , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rust View Post
According to a former AS mechanic, who worked at a dealership a number of years, the quality issue is that a dealer's contract requires them to be the final QC inspector.
So 'em
Bumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 05:51 AM   #198
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumpy View Post
According to a former AS mechanic, who worked at a dealership a number of years, the quality issue is that a dealer's contract requires them to be the final QC inspector.
...And if the AS 'mechanic' is not able to re-build a quality trailer, it's back to the 'mothership' YOU go...NOT the dealer.🥴
Now that is a perfect solution.👎

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 09-01-2019, 01:48 AM   #199
2 Rivet Member

2003 30' Classic
Edisto Island , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
...And if the AS 'mechanic' is not able to re-build a quality trailer, it's back to the 'mothership' YOU go...NOT the dealer.🥴
Now that is a perfect solution.👎

Bob
🇺🇸
I've driven 8 hrs each way to have this mechanic do some major work for me. Thankfully I can do much of what needs to be done, most of the time.
So 'em
Bumpy is offline   Reply With Quote