Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-14-2013, 11:04 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Unhappy Wet Bath Mirror pulled off wall-need repair ideas

2007 22 FB International CCD with a wet bath.

The Mirrored door for the medicine cabinet on the forward bath wall has pulled off the wall were it was mounted, apparently with just three pop rivits into the fiberglass/acrylic surround. I suspect that the damage occurred when the door latch failed, and trailer vibration helped break the door off the wall. May have been part of the damage sustained when my son had a blowout on the road, and the vibration in that area hit a massive peak...

The middle rivet has torn out a piece of the medicine cabinet wall edge when it departed, and the other rivets have damaged heads where the hinge has pulled off the wall past the rivets.

I'm looking at repairing this somehow, possibly drilling out the remaining rivets, using Bondo or the like to re-contour the damaged area, re-painting to match, and adding more rivets to the hinge to distribute the load better. A better latch is also part of the plan--need thoughts on that as well

Has anyone dealt successfully with this repair, and if so, how? Son says not to bother, but it's a bit hard to shave without a mirror of some sort...

I'm not really wild about attempting to replace the entire top half of the wet bath to solve this--I'm not made outta money...
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 11:16 AM   #2
Rivet Master

I am in the same boat....

I am tempted to remove the cabinet, and velcro a light mirror to the pvc wall. Mine is above the sink....it's not a wet bath.
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 11:20 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Corona , California
Problem is that the storage area will have no door on it--so the contents will fall out. The wet bath is small enough as it is--the medicine cabinet is molded into the upper wall area. One suggestion from my son was to cut a mirror to fit into the back of the cabinet and no longer use the cabinet for storage--I'd like to restore it if possible.
Old 08-14-2013, 12:04 PM   #4
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
A pic or two would help understand the problem. Then again, maybe not...mite b worth a shot or two.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 12:09 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Corona , California
Unfortunately trailer and camera are about 90 miles separated at the moment.

The edge of the molded-in medicine cabinet in the wet bath front had three 1/8 inch diameter fairly long pop rivets holding the mirror door hinge in place.

The top and bottom rivet have pulled through the holes in the hinge and are still in the surround with damaged heads, the middle one cracked off a portion of the edge of the acrylic/fiberglass surround and fell out. Mirror is on floor.
Old 08-14-2013, 12:17 PM   #6
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Build a medicine cabinet as a separate box, that fits into the recess, and projects out just far enough to allow a mirror to hinge open (full-length piano hinge). You lose a small amount of space for the sides of the box, but you gain a lot of options for securing the box in place because you're no longer restricted to fastening around the edges. You could then go through the box sides, top, bottom, and/or back. And you could regain the space you lost by also making the cabinet deeper front-to-back.

Also as an enhancement while you're making a new box to fit the recess, you could set it up so the mirrored door swings down to form a shelf when the cabinet is open, and uses a couple of light chains to hold it level when open.
Old 08-14-2013, 12:43 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Corona , California
good idea--I would have to make the cabinet waterproof because of the wet bath, but it would sure be better attached and a piano hinge with lots of screws and a positive closure to hold it shut would be easier to arrange.

The current molded-in cabinet is a bit cheesy, to put it mildly...and three pop rivets into the surround are NOT going to hold anything in place, IMHO.

Other ideas?