Old 01-08-2016, 08:08 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2008 19' Bambi
2012 23' Flying Cloud
Bandera , Texas
We purchased 19' Safari Bambi four years ago and immediately discovered and fixed a leak from a cracked valve. Didn't even give a thought to the sub-floor getting soaked. Three years later the floor essentially failed between the door and kitchen sink. Had to strip out all cabinets to replace rotted sub-floor and replace sheet vinyl throughout (original flooring had stained anyway). This doesn't give you any help about what path to take, but only what may happen if nothing is done.

Old 01-08-2016, 08:23 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2018 23' Flying Cloud
Huntsville , Alabama
I think if I were in a similar situation I would certainly try the dehumidifier someone else mentioned earlier. Seems that may be the quickest way to dry it out with hopes of avoiding further damage at a reasonable cost.
Best of luck.

Ron

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

Old 01-08-2016, 08:49 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2008 16' Safari
1990 29' Airstream 290
stanfordville , New York
I guess after reading all your ideas and comments ,i resign myself to pick up the floor ,and see the condition of the sub floor ,let it dry out and install a new floor..will keep you posted...thank you for your input..helping me sort this out...M.V.
Old 01-09-2016, 01:14 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2008 16' Safari
1990 29' Airstream 290
stanfordville , New York
i picked up the floor,not such a big deal after all...plywood is wet or damp in spots,mostly under the bed and at entrance...i put the dehumidifier on and a small heater...will let it all dry out completely,then maybe paint the floor for protection before i put in the new vinyl floor....thanks for all your input and encouragements...M.V..ps can not figure out how to send photo,sometimes it works,sometimes not????
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2170.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	729.9 KB
ID:	255370  
Old 01-10-2016, 01:39 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2008 16' Safari
1990 29' Airstream 290
stanfordville , New York
the dehumidifier works great...plus i have a small heater blowing warm air under the bed section ...now my question is:
once all completely dry,and before i put on a new cover (same as what was there,easy to pick up if???) would it be a good idea to either stain or paint the plywood to protect it????thanks M
Old 01-24-2016, 08:26 AM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2008 16' Safari
1990 29' Airstream 290
stanfordville , New York
replacing vinyl floor

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post
It could work but I'm not sure you could get all the subfloor dried out adequately. Then you would have to fill in the patches. The floor is only tacked down at the edges near the shell if its like my 2008 Classic 25fb. It would be difficult to patch and after a hot summer, cold winter the expansion/contraction of the vinyl would open up the patches.

My vinyl floor is buckling is several spots after moving from the mild climate of Texas to the colder climate of Missouri. I'm going to have my vinyl floor replaced, hopefully within the next several months. I'm going with a luxury vinyl plank floor that locks together.

Kelvin
it will take a long time for my sub-floor to dry out completely,which gives me time to decide what to use to cover it with,vinyl rolls come in wide,therefor lots of waste and..expensive...what is you reasoning behind installing a plank floor??what if other leaks to come and floor needs to be picked up again,which is very likely...what about expansion and contraction???
Old 01-24-2016, 09:26 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Melbourne Beach , Florida
I would treat the subfloor with polyester or epoxy resin. Epoxy is more expensive, but more controllable when mixing. I had a runabout with rear seats on either side of the engine that had rotted out from getting wet. I took them apart, used the wood for patterns, cut new wood and saturated the pieces with polyester resin before re-attaching the upholstery. Years later they were still as strong as new. Either resin will provide a barrier to moisture getting into the wood, but as I said, epoxy is more controllable. You can buy cans of resin and catalyst at a marine supply place. West Systems makes pretty good stuff and has a pump kit that you screw onto the cans. The pumps automatically meter out the right amount - 5 pumps of resin takes 5 pumps of catalyst. Mix it up, brush it on. Make sure you get the wood saturated well. You will have to keep the trailer warm until it is fully cured.

Al

"You cannot reason someone out of a position they have not been reasoned into"

Al, K5TAN and Missy, N4RGO
2002 Classic 30 Slideout
S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
2001 Safari 25 RB Twin (Gone, but not forgotten)
WBCCI 1322, TAC FL-39, AIR 82265

Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 08:06 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1996 25' Excella
Tillsonburg , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al and Missy View Post
I would treat the subfloor with polyester or epoxy resin. Epoxy is more expensive, but more controllable when mixing. Al
Rather than epoxy resin, you could use epoxy paint. A lot easier to apply and it does the same purpose. Epoxy paint is used on boats under the water line.
However if your floor is showing signs of rot then the resin might be a better choice. You could thin the first coat to get some penetration. Epoxy will cure above 55 degrees
JCW
Old 01-26-2016, 08:15 AM   #23
3 Rivet Member

2008 16' Safari
1990 29' Airstream 290
stanfordville , New York
epoxy paint is a good idea...there is no rot at all,only water stains....just found a 8 by 10 piece of INFINITY luxury woven Vinyl for $ 180 on E bay,need to cover 5 by 10...its easy to install ,(i made a template) and easy to pick up,other various leaks are almost inevitable...roof,ac,fan,vents..awning rail..etc...for now, the floor is drying slowly...thanks for all the good ideas.
Old 01-26-2016, 09:31 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2008 27' International CCD FB
Petaluma , California
Look up the thread rotten floor due to water leak. My sad story starts at post 245 (I think). The trick is to drop the pan and remove the reflectix insulation under the floor to let it dry. I used epoxy to firm the floor up. My AS is a 2007 27FB. Lots of other case studies in the thread.

Old 02-05-2016, 09:08 PM   #25
Rivet Master

Petaluma , California
Long Sad Story (and many others) with good repair step by steps.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f396...ml#post1262866Here's the link to the rotten floor due to water leak thread:
Old 02-06-2016, 08:16 AM   #26
3 Rivet Member

2008 16' Safari
1990 29' Airstream 290
stanfordville , New York
yesterday i found more water seepage near the door,we had a dusting of snow melting fast...the roof of the a.s.is covered...so, after reading your post and seeing the photos i realize that i may have that exact same problem,its most probably where the leak comes from...i will tape it over for now and see if it makes a difference,no matter what ,i have to wait for spring and warmer weather to work on it...meanwhile i keep trying to dry up the floor with hair blower, heat lamp,small heater etc...thank you for the info..M
Old 02-07-2016, 09:47 AM   #27
Rivet Master

Petaluma , California
Good luck on your mission! The work wasn't particularly hard but it took a month to complete with the drying stages. I was fortunate that my storage area is also a campground and they let me use a powered campsite to set up in for the work which helped with the dehumidification etc.