Old 07-02-2012, 05:22 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Springville , New York
Water leaks, need a manual!

We have a 1978 31' sovereign international. We have a leak in one of the pipes just after the water pump. Does anyone have a plumbing diagram - we would like to bypass the water tank (we only need to hook up to city water) and go right to the plumbing fixtures, which are on the other side of the trailer from the intake valve. Do you know where the supply line crosses over? Is it near the bathroom, kitchen, ? (I only want to cut into the floor boards where necessary). A plumbing diagram would be so useful, but I have neither of the manuals for this airstream. Any idea on how to obtain these? (I actually have many more questions, but I'll start here!)
Thanks for any help....

Old 07-02-2012, 06:17 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Airstream sells the service manuals.
https://store.airstream.com/product_...products_id=96

My water lines are all above the floor except the crossover. The crossover is just a pipe under the floor with no connections. My crossover is lined up with the kitchen sink on the curb side and near the front of the wheel cover street side. All my connections are above the floor, no need to cut the floor. My pump is the checkvalve for the tank. I isolated everything when I re-plumbed it all. It'd be easy to add another valve after the pump.

My trailer is a center bath with the water intake on the street side and the kitchen and bath on the curb side. You shouldn't need a manual for plumbing. Everything's visible and accessible.

Me thinks it'd be easier (and better) to just fix the leaks and leave the trailer as designed. It works pretty well as designed and is more versatile than tankless.

Are you converting this into a park model?

Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 06:50 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Springville , New York
Thank you for the response!
It would indeed be better to fix the leak. For the next few years, a city water connection is only what we need, but who knows what the future would hold?
My problem is that the leak is about 6 inches under the floorboards in a 2 inch gap between the plastic tank and (something metal). I am not quite sure how I would get to it without talking apart a lot of things I would rather keep in check.
It looks like the main water supply pipe is heading towards the front of the trailer from the intake, but I can't see a line coming up to the sink; wouldn't it have to go to the hot water tank (which is in line with the toilet) first?
Old 07-02-2012, 07:47 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
What's the layout of your trailer?

Are you sure a winterizing drain valve isn't open?

Or was this trailer frozen up?
Old 07-03-2012, 07:12 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

Springville , New York
It's a center bath, rear twin. We bought the trailer from a car dealer, who bought it at an auction. I'm pretty sure it froze up. The offending pipe has an inch gash in it. Also in this little "trench" is a shut off (maybe for the water to go into the tank?) and a smaller line which disappears (possibly into the tank?).
The rest of the trailer is in pretty decent shape - I would prefer not to pull it apart.
Old 07-03-2012, 10:05 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Is your trailer similar to this layout?

If the refrigerator is street side and the kitchen and bath are curb side, it's probably a similar layout to mine. If the crossover pipe froze and burst, it should be possible to abandon the old pipe and pull a new crossover through the space. You might need to use a flexible braided hose for the crossover in order to pull it through.

I pulled 12 volt electric wires alongside my crossover with no problems. I just used an electrician's pull tape.

It sounds like the trailer froze up and you're trying to do a workaround to repairing the damage. If it froze up, I bet there's more damage than you've described. Typically in a freeze up, some or all of the tanks are damaged as well. Have you tested the tanks and valves?

When you tried city water, exactly what happened?

`
Old 07-06-2012, 03:18 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

Springville , New York
Thank you so much for sticking with this. I hope you had a wonderful 4th. Your airstream interior does look nearly exact as mine. We were able to repair the first leak at the streetside and find where the pipe turns to possibly make the crossover. Looking in the kitchen sink cabinets, we see a pipe coming up about 6-8 inches further towards the back of the trailer, so once again, I am unsure exactly what happens at the crossover.
After we repaired the blownout pipe, we again tested the system, searching for the next leak (and hoping for none...). Our repair held, but the water was running out (possibly from the tank?) which is located under the area I am working at streetside. I had shut the valve (as seen in the following pictures), hoping that I was bypassing the tank so that I could see what other pipe ailments I had. The water was leaking out of something...
I have attached some pictures. The first shows the area that we have been working on; the next 4 are close ups following the pump to the possible crossover, including the repair.
Any way we can bypass the tank to check the piping system for leaks? Or do you think it could be a different pipe leaking?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0263.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	321.6 KB
ID:	162490   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0264.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	279.5 KB
ID:	162491  

Name:	IMG_0265.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	352.4 KB
ID:	162492   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0266.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	389.9 KB
ID:	162493  

Name:	IMG_0267.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	339.0 KB
ID:	162494   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0268.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	351.2 KB
ID:	162495  

Old 07-06-2012, 03:54 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
This picture,

shows the pop off valve way to the left side. There's a round top on the valve. The pipe that goes out of the pop off and down through the floor is a discharge pipe to spill the water on the ground under the trailer. That pop off valve might be stuck open. A shot of high pressure air will blow the valve out of it's seat and leave the valve open all the time. If the pop off is stuck open, water from city OR pump will go out the pipe to the ground.

I'd take that valve off and take it apart and check it. They can be re-set.

If the valve is okay, then you still have a drain valve open, or more leaks to find. I'm pretty sure you can pull a new crossover tube if you need to. Don't chop up your floor yet.

On the tank question . . . My electric water pump isolates the fresh water tank on my trailer. When I hook up to city water, my fresh water tank is not involved. If I hook up to city water, and water leaks at the location of the crossover, it's not coming from my tank.

My fresh water tank does not have a bottom drain. If I fill the tank and water leaks out, I have a broken tank.
Old 07-06-2012, 04:17 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

Springville , New York
Thanks again. I can't get to it till Monday, but we'll see what's up.