Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-12-2015, 08:44 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Longmont , Colorado
Water leaking out of scare light

I have a 2013 25FB Flying Cloud. It has a large round scare light/porch light on the curb side. The light is and LED type with a shiny (chrome?) ring. Even hours after a rain, I get an occasional drop of water coming done from this light. Last time I washed the trailer, I alternated pressing on the top and bottom of the light, "rocking" it. I got two or three teaspoons of water out of it.

When I first noticed this issue, I talked with Jackson Center about it and they said it was nothing to be concerned about. Having seen how much water gets into the fixture, I think I should be concerned. I worry about the light itself, and water getting into the trailer.

How is the light held in place? Can I remove it to inspect it and make sure the gasket is good? Should I put sealant around the outer or inner edge of the trim ring?
SSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 08:55 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Just remove the three screws on the ring and the whole thing comes off. At least mine did but it is an 07.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 05:12 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Longmont , Colorado
I just pulled my trailer out of storage this morning, and looked again at the light. There are no visible screws.

There was a recent thread here about tail lights, on a recent model that has no visible screws. In that case, the outer chrome ring is held in place by four tabs, and can be removed by careful prying. My scare light chrome ring has some free play, so I tried prying it, but it did not come off. I'm nervous about breaking it if I force it hard.
Old 08-19-2015, 05:46 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Im surperised at the answer from AS.

If you got a couple teaspoons of water out, then if left unattended, I think there is a pretty good chance water could eventually find its way to enter the trailer wall where the wiring comes out. Hopefully there is a rubber grommet - but even so.

Won't cause a problem in the short term - but that is the sort of thing that left unattended could eventually lead to rot of wooden floors ............. eventually!

You are wise to be pursuing it now!

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 01:43 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

2014 23' FB Flying Cloud
Wilmington , North Carolina
Hi SSquared, did you ever figure out how to get the chrome bezel/ring off of the outside light?
thomasj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 03:58 PM   #6
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Atlanta Burbs , Georgia
Light Removal thread:
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f447...ht-148952.html

Sir Tristan
Air #48582, S/SO #003, WBCCI #4584
SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 12:12 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Longmont , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasj View Post
Hi SSquared, did you ever figure out how to get the chrome bezel/ring off of the outside light?
No. I never got it off.

We did have a different leak happen (screw pulled out from the entry door eyebrow) that caused a big wet spot on the floor by the door. After that, we had the trailer leak tested with a pressurized air system. That test found several leaks, but the scare light tested OK (it did not blow bubbles). So I feel pretty comfortable now that my scare light is not a serious problem.