Old 09-11-2016, 02:47 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2017 23' International
Hingham , Massachusetts
Water leak when hooked up to city water. Please help :)

I am a new owner. I've been on the road for over a month with minor issues. Just had my first major issue.

2017 23D International

My fresh water tank was 75% full
My Black was 0%
My Grey was 11%
I'm perfectly level in all directions.

I have hooked up to city water before with no issues.

I have used the fresh water and pump with no issues.

Problem:

I hooked up to city water at 7:00pm. In the morning, I had a huge leak which looked to be coming from under my shower/toilet.

Any thoughts? Advice? I am only using the fresh water tank now, with no issues. I'm nervous to hook back up to the city line.

I'm in Park City. Home is Boston. Should I try and get into the airstream dealership in Salt Lake? Will they service my AS if i did not purchase it there?

Thanks in advance!

Old 09-11-2016, 03:10 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2014 23' FB Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Stay away from Intermountain Airsteam in SLC. On their last breath from what I've heard. What about adjusting your route home to pass through Jackson Center?

Old 09-11-2016, 03:21 PM   #3
TahoeStream'n

2012 20' Flying Cloud
La Habra , California
I had the same symptoms on ours. I located and removed the valve tighten screws reinserted it's been fine for 3 years now. Before you do that assure the line into the trailer is tight. Do the easy one first
Old 09-11-2016, 07:19 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1979 23' Safari
Wayland , New York
Start peeking in all accessible areas with some water pressure to see if you can spot the drip. It sounds fairly slow since you weren't swimming in the morning. Hex screw should get the shower handle off then a couple screws to get the face plate off. Then you'll be able to see the shower valve and check for leaks.
Also check FW connections to the toilet. The transition from PEX to soft rubber hose going to the toilet may have come loose.
Pictures and complain like h@// to AS about any water damage!

This is the kind of crap that keeps me from buying new. AS has a backlog of 1300 trailers. They normally crank out 50 a week. They're trying to crank out 80 a week without adding proportional extra workers. On my tour a few weeks ago I was not impressed with what I saw. Lots of room for improvement but not willing to make the process or time in production available to workers.
Old 09-11-2016, 07:31 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
Hinckley , Ohio
Water leak when hooked up to city water. Please help :)

You hooked up the fresh water to the black tank flush and filled and pressurized the black tank. Just empty it and put the hose where its support to go.

It's operator error. Not an Airstream defect.

I chose America
Bigventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 08:58 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1979 23' Safari
Wayland , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigventure View Post
You hooked up the fresh water to the black tank flush and filled and pressurized the black tank. Just empty it and put the hose where its support to go.

Possible but usually accompanied by an overflowing toilet.
If the black tank drain valve was open all night it's more of a possibility. Could have been a leak in the flushing line that's not normally pressurized long periods. Open drain would have kept tank from filling and pressurizing causing the proverbial fecal fountain.
If you used water and had pressure after the 7pm hookup, and the pump definitely wasn't the source, then you were hooked up to the right spot.
Old 09-11-2016, 09:51 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

2017 23' International
Hingham , Massachusetts
are you in PC??? Love it here. Where do you get your as serviced?
Old 09-11-2016, 09:57 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

2017 23' International
Hingham , Massachusetts
That wasn't the issue. It was hooked up correctly. But thank you for trying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigventure View Post

Old 09-12-2016, 12:54 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Redmond , Washington
Sounds like a pex ring wasn't tightened enough, so city water pressure exposes the weak connection, but pump does not.

Airstream QC issue.
Old 09-12-2016, 10:31 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari
Anaheim , California
Not sure where the fresh water hook up is on a 23, but if it is in the area of the shower I would suspect the pressure regulator that is part of the city water hook-up. They are notorious for cracking and leaking down the interior walls. The fact that you are getting the leakage only when you are hooked up to city pressure leads me to believe this may be your issue. Simple fix by removing the city water inlet and replacing with a new unit, about a half hour and a $45 part.
Old 09-12-2016, 12:11 PM   #11

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Do a quick check on the level of your freshwater tank. There is the chance that you have a defective check valve in the pump that would allow water to enter the fresh water tank when you are hooked up to city water. If you find that your fresh water tank is now 100% full, the leak is potentially the tank being overfilled. This happened to me when my Airstream was brand new. The dealer replaced the pump.

Jack
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 12:45 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
A quick test for a leak in the water system is turn the pump on until it shuts off. Leave the system in this state for a hour or more, don't draw any water or while you sleep. Turn the pump on. If the pump runs you have a leak.

I am surprised at the comment of the pump leaking back into the fresh water tank. Pumps used to be 4 diaphragm systems and really could not leak back. But no telling what cheap Chinese junk Airstream is using now.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 01:47 PM   #13
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post
A quick test for a leak in the water system is turn the pump on until it shuts off. Leave the system in this state for a hour or more, don't draw any water or while you sleep. Turn the pump on. If the pump runs you have a leak.

This is not a 100% sure fire way to test because the valves themselves as they age loose pressure over time (made in China or not). Also, with a water heater in line and running, hot/cold can also lead to the pressure variances that could trigger the pump.

Given the amount of water that is coming on with the city water connection applied, the question isn't if there is a leak, the question is where.

The rear floorplan on your 23D is similar (read not exact) as my 25C. Most of the plumbing that feeds that area come from under the bathroom sink area. If the 23D is the same, the city water connection is there too. I would open the cabinet doors and remove panels to gain access to the guts back there and take a peek at what you see. Worst case, a pipe clamp has slipped or is not fastened completely. Hopefully the issue is in a readily accessible area.
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 04:18 PM   #14
1 Rivet Member

2016 28' Pendleton
Jackson , Mississippi
Happend to us too - Still a puzzle

We have a 2016 Pendleton. We have used it several times. Each time we initially hook up to city water while we are camping we get some water coming out under the base of the bathroom cabinet between the cabinet and the toilet. When we turn off the hose and then use the pump we don't get any water. The next day when we turn the city water back on we get no water leaking. This is a puzzle. Any suggestions?

ALso, when we use just the water pump we will occasionally hear the pump prime itself when no water has be used. Is this normal? or do we have a leak in the line somewhere? We haven't seen any water anywhere else.