Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-17-2014, 08:50 AM   #1

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Easton , Maryland
Unhappy Water Leak in new 2014 Flying Cloud

Last May we bought a 25' Flying Cloud. No problems. Decided to trade it in this past March for the 2014 30' Flying Cloud. We have put up with small problems and replacing bits, but now we have a leak from the seams above the cook top when it rains. We noticed a small label on the wall was discolored when we bought it, but didn't think anything about it. Now we know why.
Has anyone else had this problem? We have called our dealer and they will be calling us on Monday. We are extremely disappointed. Water can do so much damage....
LynandJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 09:38 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
I know how disappointed you must be. I would hold their feet to the fire and ask for a leak test and reseal of the entire trailer. In addition, I would insist on an inspection of the areas where the leak occurred to make sure there is no damage to the flooring.

You'd think after all these years of building these things they might have worked out a foolproof system to make sure the seams don't leak. Makes me seriously reconsider an AS.
Tincampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 09:48 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Check the front of the trailer on the street side and look at the VIN decal. On it is the build month. How long was it sitting on the dealer 's lot?

Fortunately, we get a two year warranty that is only as good as the folks we select to do the repairs.

Our Classic came in with lots of small issues from loose trim to cabinetry damage issues to bad cabinet finishes in places. From past experience with our first Airstream, I knew we needed a really qualified repair facility.

We had a major modification scheduled and decided that A&P Vintage Trailer Works could do the repairs at the same time (on my nickel) as they were cabinet experts and I knew the work would be completed properly.

Having work done properly the first time is worth the cost.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 09:54 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Branson , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynandJohn View Post
Last May we bought a 25' Flying Cloud. No problems. Decided to trade it in this past March for the 2014 30' Flying Cloud. We have put up with small problems and replacing bits, but now we have a leak from the seams above the cook top when it rains. We noticed a small label on the wall was discolored when we bought it, but didn't think anything about it. Now we know why.
Has anyone else had this problem? We have called our dealer and they will be calling us on Monday. We are extremely disappointed. Water can do so much damage....
I had that same issue with our 23. I caulked ABOVE the exterior cooktop blower vent, and the problem went away.

I would think yours' is the same. I used (contrary to what some advise against) Silicone II. Make sure you use the "II" as opposed to the plain silicone.

I'll bet your water problems will be solved.

Good luck!!

https://www.pbase.com/murreywalker

2011 23 FC FB
murreywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 10:27 AM   #5
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Water Leak in new 2014 Flying Cloud

Given you trailer is 2014 model year, I'd assume it's under warranty. If that's true, your dealer will be happy to work with you to get any and all issues resolved. We've had a number of issues addressed under warranty and our dealer has been extremely helpful throughout.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 11:55 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
I had a serious water leak in the front of my 2014, which was brand new, a few weeks out of the factory. It was above the pano windows. I too was disappointed, but a trip to the dealer and it was fixed and has not leaked since. Stuff happens, is all I can say.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote