Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-22-2014, 03:02 PM   #1

1958 22' Flying Cloud
Sacramento , California
Wasps/Yellow Jackets

Has anyone ever had a colony of wasps take up residency in their air conditioner as well as vents? I was about to work on restoring my 1958 Flying cloud when the weather turned warm and the veracious little daemons sprung forth. Should I tent the airstream and fumigate the whole thing? Or is sneaking out at night when it is the coldest and trying to stealthily remove the AC and interior skins the best bet? The previous owner had started a rather aggressive restoration and I am worried the wasps might have access to the insulation. I am prepaired to deal with rodents, but angry wasps isn't something I am relishing. Advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
cywylie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 03:07 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1985 25' Sovereign
Okc , Oklahoma
Use Yard Guard on me.
It's a fog and I just spray had have a cold one for about 20 minutes and check things out. May need another fogging.
There is a Wasp spray that comes out in a stream and you can use that at a distance on the nest.
If stung, put ice on spot and take a Benadryl.
Good luck.
LeeJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 03:49 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
Night with a flashlight using LeeJ method of attack but spray the critters not yourself, a few layers of clothing will stop most penetration, try to do the spraying while on the ladder or scaffold rather than on the roof. SonInLaw swears by a large cup of soap solution but tried it and it only works if you can see the whole nest and are a good shot. You might want to do it on a very cold night in stages, spray, wait, open or remove cover, spay again when you can see the nest.
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 05:01 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Newport , North Carolina
Barrow a berka a pair of goggles and pair of welders gloves and charge them with the appropriate fly swatter or can of cheap spray. If you get stung blow the whole thing out of proportion and accept all sympathy.
I only got stung once damn yellow jackets!
Cliff USMC retired
Old 02-22-2014, 07:52 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
If you turn out to be allergic to this variety of bee, you may end up in the hospital or worse. I was never allergic before (after hundreds of stings over 20 years), but took a ride in an ambulance after 2 stings two years ago. Have friends around and epipens, you may need them. Spray from a distance. It is difficult to get down off a ladder fast ans safely.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 08:52 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Suck them up in a shop vac. Get a long piece of 1 1/2" PVC and duct tape it to the shop vac hose, point it at the the hole and suck them up.. Spray the area with soapy water, it will knock down any strays.
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 03:44 AM   #7
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwightdi View Post
If you turn out to be allergic to this variety of bee, you may end up in the hospital or worse. I was never allergic before (after hundreds of stings over 20 years), but took a ride in an ambulance after 2 stings two years ago. Have friends around and epipens, you may need them. Spray from a distance. It is difficult to get down off a ladder fast ans safely.
Spray your clothing with Permethrin before attempting to deal with wasps. It's an effective repellent. I can't vouch for how it works against angry wasps, but it does keep them away generally.