Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-24-2009, 03:47 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Question warranty work

Just thought this was odd.... Have new Airstream and called Airstream dealer in Alachua, Florida to tell them I had purchased my AS from another dealer (Had been negotiating with three dealers} Told them I would like to continue bringing my unit to them for service because I appreciated work they had done oreviously.

They told me they would not do any warrenty work on my AS. I could bring it in for non-warrently work only. They only do warrenty work on units they sell.

During these financial times, thought that was strange,,,,especially since they have previouse done warrenty work on unit I had not purchased from them. Figured they didn't like me getting best deal I could from another dealer. Ok, I will take my business elsewhere.

Is this usual practice for Airstream dealers?
marvinr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 04:44 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic Slideout
2021 33FB Classic
Colleyville , TX
Not at all! When we bought ours we had all but the very first of the warranty work performed at another dealer. After that good experience we had the new dealer do mods and upgrades as well. Hope you find a good dealer to work with.
Old 03-24-2009, 04:46 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic S/O
Currently Looking...
Mohrsville , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by marvinr View Post
Just thought this was odd.... Have new Airstream and called Airstream dealer in Alachua, Florida to tell them I had purchased my AS from another dealer (Had been negotiating with three dealers} Told them I would like to continue bringing my unit to them for service because I appreciated work they had done oreviously.

They told me they would not do any warrenty work on my AS. I could bring it in for non-warrently work only. They only do warrenty work on units they sell.

During these financial times, thought that was strange,,,,especially since they have previouse done warrenty work on unit I had not purchased from them. Figured they didn't like me getting best deal I could from another dealer. Ok, I will take my business elsewhere.

Marvinr,
Strange and probably highly illegal. If they are a licensed Airstream dealer and repair facility I believe they MUST honor a warranty claim. Call the mother ship and ask them.
Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer, so this advice may be total bunk.
TAC PA-3
S/OS#042
AIR #14487
NQ3U (was KB3UOM)
DEITZ645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 05:36 AM   #4
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
I'd call the mothership, but after that I'm not sure I would go back to that dealer. Kinda like sending your soup back to the kitchen; you don't know what could happen.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 07:42 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by markdoane View Post
/I'd call the mothership, but after that I'm not sure I would go back to that dealer. Kinda like sending your soup back to the kitchen; you don't know what could happen.
We agree with this completely. We had warranty work done by our original dealer, which took three rather aggravating trips back to fix something they knew (probably when they sold it to us) wasn't done properly the first time. Since then have been to several other dealers for various warranty and non-warranty work, and reinforce good work/good customer service by going back ONLY to those who meet this criteria---and referring others to them as well.

While not knowing all the ins and outs of obligations of licensed Airstream dealers, we do know human behavior----and "getting back" is one of the hallmarks of a petty and dangerous mind. Being able to trust your service people is just too important.

Good luck in finding a trustworthy dealer near you----or do as we do, and schedule routine maintenance with dealers you like while you are on the road/in their area.
Old 03-24-2009, 07:58 AM   #6
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Warranty work

Every Airstrean selling dealer, is authorized to do warranty work.

By agreement with Airstream, they must honor such requests even though they "did not" sell the unit.

They could offer an excuse, like we are very busy and can't get to it for 30 days or so, or if the customer comes in with a "laundry list" of nit picking items, or "no" we can't drop what we are doing, but they can say "we can only order parts to be shipped as Airstream may chose." If a customer says "I am in a hurry" then the customer is obligated to pay for faster shipping.

Airstream does pay a dealer their regular shop labor rate, so that cannot be used as an excuse.

Many years ago, we had a fellow come in with a classic motorhome, with a 50 page laundry list. Yes, 50 pages. We repaired every single item to his satisfaction, but somehow someway, he wound up with the coach "free" from Airstream.

We never did learn the details other than he had Airstream in court as well.

I would suggest you notify Airstream, in writing, directing the letter to the attention of Larry Huttle.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 11:24 AM   #7
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
There must be a miscommunication here. This dealer does warranty work for other dealers and has had the mothership send customers to them to have work done. They are currently very busy. jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 12:53 PM   #8
Cyclist

2007 28' International CCD
Windermere , Florida
That dealership told me the same thing two yrs ago.
Only emergency warranty work if purchased elsewhere.

Tom W
Wilson wired repeater with YAG.
Two big screens
15dB Backfire WiFi antenna and WaveMagnum
Centramatics.
Hawkshead Tire Monitors.
henw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 01:37 PM   #9
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by henw View Post
That dealership told me the same thing two yrs ago.
Only emergency warranty work if purchased elsewhere.

Tom W
Sounds like fun and games going on at that particular dealer. My thought is that if what is being said is true, would you really want to take the trailer there anyway? Maybe distance is an issue, I don't know, but if they didn't have a good price on the unit, and are giving you this kind of treatment, I would first contact Airstream and ask them what gives, but even if you do, and get your unit in there for service, who could say what the outcome might be?

My thought would be to follow what you did with your wallet and go someplace else as that place, with that kind of attitude (as two folks have now pointed out similar events from the same dealer) won't be in business very long if they only service what they sell. To me $$$ is $$$. I'd do whatever, but sadly some dealers I have heard (and not just Airstream dealers) can be somewhat territorial.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 01:50 PM   #10
Rivet Master

One satisfied customer can send you a few new ones by word of mouth, but one dissatisfied customer can keep hundreds of potential ones away
Rich
VIKING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 02:37 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2008 25' Classic
Sometimes it's Heaven , USA
We have been to this dealership. Couldn't have had a better experience and found their tech extreamly knowledgeable and capable.
COUNTRYSONG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 04:38 PM   #12
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by COUNTRYSONG View Post
We have been to this dealership. Couldn't have had a better experience and found their tech extreamly knowledgeable and capable.
Did you buy from them?
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 05:31 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2008 25' Classic
Sometimes it's Heaven , USA
No we didn't buy from them, however we were southbound on I75 with a disc brake problem that needed attention and we were out of state.. I'm just suprised that they didn't want to do the warranty work.
COUNTRYSONG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 06:15 PM   #14

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
I know that some dealers will give preferential appointments to those who bought from them but I don't believe they can turn away an owner with a warranty claim. I'd make another call to the dealership and go up the management ladder. If you get turned down again make sure you get the name of the person you spoke to and then contact the mother ship. I'm sure they would be interested in your story.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 04:47 PM   #15

Currently Looking...
Airstream Coach - Other
LEBANON , Maine
At times like this where everyone is so very busy. I can imagine a dealer putting you off for their customers first. However, they are obligated to help you with service. Depending on your relationship.
Although, I would expect all dealers have that "do not service" list for difficult or cheating customers who make life miserable for the dealer. I happen to know of a customer who lied & cheated a dealer. So the dealer banded them from even going on their lot and threatened them with arrest for stealing service, & trespassing.
If you are one of those customers, I would just go to another dealer. If you are a good fair customer call Airstream and ask for the National sales manager and voice your concerns.
He may make a call to that dealer to help you. The Dealer will then schedule you but know you may be in the back seat until winter. So you might buy them donuts and a large bladder of coffee. Then say how sorry you are for not buying from them.
You will need to rebuild, your loyalty to them, if they let you. So put your tail between your legs or go back to where you bought. After all they made the money from your sale. Just business, loyalty, & trust is what it is all about. good luck
JERRY HAUSER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 05:29 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2022 27' Globetrotter
Newberg , Oregon
So, I'm gathering that I can take my Spud to any authorised Airstream Dealer that I want for warranty work? That's excellent news!
99TJSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 06:25 PM   #17
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by marvinr View Post

Call Jackson Center Service, ask them about that dealer 'policy'.
+1 937-596-6111

Bob
🇺🇦🇺🇸🇺🇦
Old 06-06-2022, 08:11 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2017 16' Sport
N/A , N/A
A Airstream Dealer get reimbursed for warranty work. It’s a matter of picking through the apples and picking the ones that will bring the best return at the market in other words they want to maximize they’re profit for the the staffing and techs they have. If you bundle some gravy along with some warranty work , you’ll have best chance of getting an appointment in a reasonable time frame. Some dealers will tell you that the persons that bought from them are first on the list. That’s life.
Silvr_Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 08:21 PM   #19
Site Team

2008 30' Classic S/O
Hampton Beach , New Hampshire
2009 Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by JERRY HAUSER View Post
At times like this...<snip>
Welcome to the forum Jerry from Lebanon, ME! Glad to have you with us neighbor.

You're responding to a thread that went silent in 2009...
- 2008 30' Classic S/O - S/OS #025 - Riding on 16" Wheels and Tires -
- Live Free or Die -
STREMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 08:23 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

1973 23' Safari
Central Coast , California
Am I missing something here? Looks like the posting of this problem was 13 years ago. Is it even relevant today?
StevenD is offline   Reply With Quote