Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-07-2012, 05:58 AM   #41
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
If I am the new owner I would pull it to JC and get it fixed to new condition under warranty.
r carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 06:22 AM   #42
3 Rivet Member

2011 16' Sport
Tofino , British Columbia
See my post regarding all your questions (hopefully) here:
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f48/...ml#post1157717
Mojave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 06:24 AM   #43
3 Rivet Member

2011 16' Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by r carl View Post
If I am the new owner I would pull it to JC and get it fixed to new condition under warranty.
Jackson is over 3,000 miles away...
Old 06-07-2012, 06:38 AM   #44
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
But you new that when you bought it, also that the authorized dealers were far away. Jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 06:49 AM   #45
3 Rivet Member

2011 16' Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by zigzagguzzi View Post
But you new that when you bought it, also that the authorized dealers were far away. Jim
Honestly that's not something that we thought about. We thought we were buying a quality product. You shouldn't buy a product of this 'standard' and be thinking right away about taking it in for repairs.
Old 06-07-2012, 06:52 AM   #46
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
All things need to be repaired. What about normal maintenance which includes checking for leaks once a year. Jim
Old 06-07-2012, 06:58 AM   #47
3 Rivet Member

2011 16' Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by zigzagguzzi View Post
All things need to be repaired. What about normal maintenance which includes checking for leaks once a year. Jim
We planned to schedule annual maintenance while on our travels. In fact, we did have our first one scheduled prior to all this happening. Annual maintenance is one thing, the amount of issues we had were another. We take into account where we live when buying anything, which is why we bought an Airstream. We were hoping NOT to have to deal with warranty issues like this.
Old 06-07-2012, 07:24 AM   #48
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojave View Post
... You shouldn't buy a product of this 'standard' and be thinking right away about taking it in for repairs.
Exactly. Couldn't have said it any better.
WDCU
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 07:38 AM   #49
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
I think you hit it on the head when you said. "A product of this Standard". It is more of a perceived standard than an actual one. If A$ had such high standards, this trailer would have never left the factory.
Not only that, I'm sure that trailers were shipped from the factory during this time of trouble to the northwest. A$ could have made arrangements to pick this trailer up and return it to the factory on a back haul.
The bad press here will cost them more than the back haul cost.
It used to be called customer service.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 07:47 AM   #50
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
We are still only hearing one side of the story. I am not talking about the OP, I am talking about what went on between the RV dealer and AS. The whole story may not be known even to the OP. The OP was trusting the RV dealer to be truthful, who knows what went on between them and AS. The owner was in the middle of this and we all know what the results were. Jim
Old 06-07-2012, 08:22 AM   #51
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
I'm getting crosseyed going between the 2 parallel threads.

The other one has more info ( http://www.airforums.com/forums/f48/...eam-92156.html ) and maybe this one should be combined or ignored from now on.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 08:29 AM   #52
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
I'm getting crosseyed going between the 2 parallel threads.

The other one has more info ( http://www.airforums.com/forums/f48/...eam-92156.html ) and maybe this one should be combined or ignored from now on.

Gene
Your getting, I AM...

Bob Crosseyed
Old 06-07-2012, 09:24 AM   #53
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
The whole point is. The customer was not taken care of correctly. When a trailer sets on a lot waiting for repairs, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that the dealer/ repair facility and A$ dropped the ball.
Most places I have had service work done (few and far between) the have things called "work orders". The idea being the work will be scheduled for completion in a relatively short period of time.
You can make all the excuses there are. But once the trailer was delivered the responsibility falls on the repair facility and A$. Since the facility was in fact authorized by A$. Someone at A$ should have been and always should be following up on warranty repair work. No matter where it is authorized to be done.
Obviously this is not happening and that is part of the reason nothing changes at JC.
The warranty repair reports, if there are any, are just being filed in a drawer.
No one at JC is asking. "why are there do many warrantee repairs?" off "what are we doing to eliminate these problems in the future".
It always amazes me that. They don't have the money to do it right the first time; but they always seem to find the money to do it over. Like finding a floor material that will not rot away.
I believe this is a corporate model that has come about since bean counters have become so powerful in the corporate world.
Now it's. Throw it together on the cheap, charge as much as you can get away with, then hope the flaws are not discovered before the warrantee is up.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 03:52 PM   #54
3 Rivet Member

2011 16' Sport
Thanks guys, I do appreciate the support in this. When it comes down to it, regardless of all the details (which I have provided, nothing was left out) the simple fact is a lemon left the factory. Period. THAT is not what we paid top dollar for. SilverRanger and TG Twinkie - thank you. We really expected way more from Airstream.
Old 06-07-2012, 04:07 PM   #55
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Question

Go to JC....drink the koolaid, then face the fact that a poorly run Corporation with no regard for customer satisfaction is now in charge of a revered American design.

Maybe it's time to let someone else try......if we can't handle it.

Bob
Old 06-07-2012, 05:22 PM   #56
Zia
3 Rivet Member

2011 23' FB International
2007 20' Safari
Irvine , California
According to my dealer service folks they are trained at the AS factory periodically to make sure they are familiar with new design. My experience has been very favourable with the quality work they have done e.g installation of solar system, moving the TV etc.
Zia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 05:40 PM   #57
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zia View Post
... My experience has been very favourable with the quality work they have done e.g installation of solar system, moving the TV etc.
I just experienced some Airstream repair work at the factory, and it was a very good experience. Good work and customer relations, at a fair price. I have been to Jackson Center 4 times, and always have a good time. I didn't drink any "Kool-Aid", but the coffee is free.
WDCU
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 05:56 PM   #58
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1982 24' Airstream 240
Ventura , California
This is such a sad story.

There is no silver lining in this cloud of a story. We have lost some enthusiastic new AS owners, they have lost a lot of money, and Jackson Center has a bad mark on their reputation. I am sorry for your loss, Mojave. Thank you for takeing the time to share your experience.

I am not surprised because I have been reading about "issues" for several years now here on the forums. That was one of the deciding factors for us in buying a vintage (1968 model) and having Uwe Salwender rebuild it from the ground up. Of course, that took time and money. It took about 18 months to hand build an excellent quality trailer.....That said, we want Airstream to be successful. We know everyone cannot rebuild like we did and you should be able to buy a new trailer that is a quality long lasting unit. MDH is still lusting after a new 27' front bed.....and we do love our SteSpot.....paula
WBCCI # 8252 Air#13593
1982 24'Motorhome (82Ste P)
SteSpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 06:08 PM   #59
3 Rivet Member

2011 16' Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteSpot View Post
There is no silver lining in this cloud of a story. We have lost some enthusiastic new AS owners, they have lost a lot of money, and Jackson Center has a bad mark on their reputation. I am sorry for your loss, Mojave. Thank you for takeing the time to share your experience.
Thanks Paula, I really appreciate your comment. I do wish things could have turned out differently.

You really are all great folks and have been the highlight in this otherwise unfortunate experience.

Thanks again everyone - your kindness and welcome spirit to a couple newbies never went unnoticed.

Lisa & Paul
Old 06-07-2012, 09:33 PM   #60
daveharc

Chandler , Arizona
Send a message via Yahoo to daveharc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zia View Post
According to my dealer service folks they are trained at the AS factory periodically to make sure they are familiar with new design. My experience has been very favourable with the quality work they have done e.g installation of solar system, moving the TV etc.
Can you share the name of the AS dealer in California that does quality work?
daveharc is offline   Reply With Quote