Old 06-05-2012, 10:32 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Martinez , California
I don't know how Canada's laws compare to the U.S., but my advice would be to get an attorney. You paid for a trailer but were deprived of the use of it for several months, for no good reason that I can see. Someone owes you money for your loss of use and the loss you presumably took when you sold the trailer. If Airstream owners continue to just say "oh well," the factory and dealerships have no incentive to improve. It appears that most of your problems were caused by the dealer, but if Airstream had sold you a trailer fit for its intended purpose you would never have had to take the trailer in to the dealership for warranty work in the first place. I don't remember any of the last four cars that I've had requiring any warranty work to speak of (low-end Jeep and Chevrolet models), and I don't think that Ford, GM and Dodge would be in business long if the only way you could get warranty repairs done promptly and correctly was to drive the car to Detroit.

Old 06-05-2012, 10:55 PM   #16
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Yeah......but Detroit don't Have-a-Palooza, so you have an excuse to go to visit them....

Bob

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 09:30 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2011 16' Sport
Tofino , British Columbia
Thanks Mr.Bill - I really appreciate that and I'm glad to hear someone else gets it.

We found more issues when we went back to the dealer and decided we definitely had enough. We lost over $20,000 when all was said and done and after a ton of conversations with Airstream via email and phone all they could say was "yeah, we know you're already 3 weeks into your vacation but could you drive back home over 3000 miles, pick up your Bambi and bring it to us?"
We asked them to replace the unit seeing as it was brand new and the entire insides needed to be gutted and they basically delayed long enough for the unit on consignment to be sold. They were eager enough to keep warrantying the crap out of it but never willing to admit they sold us a horrible quality unit.
When it came down to it, Airstream did not stand by their product. I hope none of you have to go through what we went through. Buying an Airstream was the worst decision we ever made.

Lisa & Paul
Old 06-06-2012, 10:34 AM   #18
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
Jeeeess- that would buy a lot of luxury hotel rooms on the beach!

Not making much argument for buying something new?

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojave View Post
We found more issues when we went back to the dealer and decided we definitely had enough. We lost over $20,000 when all was said and done When it came down to it, Airstream did not stand by their product. I hope none of you have to go through what we went through. Buying an Airstream was the worst decision we ever made.
Lisa & Paul
Old 06-06-2012, 10:57 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Some get good service and some excellent service and some apparently get the shaft.
Glad you decided to sell, and now you can feel better about the whole thing since it's all over and water under the bridge.
I have found that no matter what company I deal with it seems to make a difference who I talk to and how I explain my problem. If I don't get satisfaction with one individual I go up the ladder and continue the process till the problem is solved.
That's just me. And it seems to work.
Never give up!
Old 06-06-2012, 11:11 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Western , ** Big Sky Country ** Montana
It is unlikely that they will ever feel better about this treatment at the hands of AS. At this point, they have symptomatic relief by ridding themselves of the problem ... after simply being worn down, exasperated, and giving up. It is really very sad to go back and read their initial posts loaded with the enthusiasm which we all share, then they eagerly bought the AS, a specific TV suggested for it, had it all properly set up ... only to have that enthusiasm and patience "rewarded" with a 20K loss. Shame on AS for dragging their feet on repair / replacement of a new unit. We have been there - with a SOB - and really sympathize. Whatever happened to quality control - someone is responsible for letting this unit pass "inspection" and enter the retail chain ! Phooey !

I feel your pain. May the future hold great things for both of you with no repeat experiences or losses like this one.
Old 06-06-2012, 11:43 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Sad to see how this worked out, though I'm unsure exactly what happened. Did you sell it to the BC dealer out of frustration? It seems a couple of months ago you were happy with JC's response and everything was getting solved. Then there was a dispute over getting the trailer to JC?

In nearly 5 years on this Forum, this is the 2nd hopelessly leaking new Airstream I can remember that the owner got rid of. There may be others considering the state of my memory.

I don't know what you can do legally, although I believe Canada has better consumer protection laws than the US. It sounds like you bought it in the US and may have to deal with that state's laws.

Gene
Old 06-06-2012, 12:38 PM   #22
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
If you took your GM car to a Ford dealer would you expect them to fix it, then why would a non AS dealer fix your AS under warranty? Again am I missing something here? Jim
Old 06-06-2012, 01:32 PM   #23
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Jim,

Possibly, as there are not an abundance of AS dealers to go to, and there are quite a few here who have had to travel to repair centers who are not AS dealers to have warranty concerns repaired.

It's hard to follow the trail of this sad story. I do know there was a thread I posted on where the OP was planning on a trip to 'Palooza to have JC address the concerns, I don't think that trip ever happened.

One thing for certain....the ball was dropped.

Conjecture on our part doesn't help, if the OP feels the need, the facts should come from there. If not....we should let it rest.

Mojave,

Good Luck, tents can be kool too!!

Bob

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 01:39 PM   #24
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
I agree, but to let a leaky trailer sit outside at a nonAS dealer for 6? Months is not smart. Jim
Old 06-06-2012, 02:10 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
OK; where does the buck stop? We have Mojave, JC and a NON AS dealer. JC policy is to not patronize a non dealer (been there),Mojave letting the leaking unit set outside for 6 months at the dealer; so where does the fault lay? With ALL of them. Instead of leaving the unit set out, should have brought it home and protected it while a decision was made. The Non dealer for letting it set knowing the problem.And finally JC, but they gave an option and it was not followed; return to JC or the dealer where purchased. Problem is that there are a number of AS dealers that are NOT equipped to handle major repairs, namely body and structure. Heaters, AC, frig etc can be handled by any GOOD independent. Locally I have 2 good independent RV repair companies.
Anyway good luck on your camping experiences and be safe.
mike
Old 06-06-2012, 02:12 PM   #26
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
Any AS dealer can handle leaks. Jim
Old 06-06-2012, 02:25 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Gig Harbor , Washington
The AS dealers should be equipped and have the knowledge to fix anything on the coach. Again, shame on the mothership if this isn't so. What would you do if your Chevy dealer just wasn't capable if "difficult" repairs and told you to take it to Detroit. There should be specific and ongoing training to insure dealerships can represent these coaches in a professional manner...... Again JC what is your dealer training policy? Are new techs certified? Are all techs obligated to complete ongoing technical training to update their skills? Are dealerships evaluated and promoted based on service outcomes? Maybe the initial sale is more important.

Dan
Old 06-06-2012, 02:38 PM   #28
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
He did not take it to an AS dealer unless I am wrong. Jim