Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-22-2019, 05:03 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Voyager WiSight backup camera monitor mount

The suction cup mechanism for the camera monitor mount got broken. Does anyone have any ideas for creating a new mount for the monitor in a Toyota Tundra? I believe the replacement mounting bracket is available, but it got broken because our dog tries to move it out of the way on the windshield, so another option for mounting the monitor would be preferable.
ibosket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 05:20 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
I bought something like this. You put the magnetic plate on the back of the monitor and then the mount sticks to it. Very strong. The suction cup still goes on the windshield so if your dog doesn’t like it - it may not work for you.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4697.JPG
Views:	281
Size:	136.9 KB
ID:	332199
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 05:32 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Driftless Area , Wisconsin
In a different thread someone recently mentioned fabricating a rear view mount for the monitor. This sounds like a great idea to me. I can get 12V power to or near the rear view mirror pretty easily and the mirror itself is not useful when the trailer is hitched.

Would be interested if said person chimed in. I’ll be pursuing this solution as time allows next month. I think a couple of metal brackets stuck on the back of the camera with VHB and some small magnets affixed to the top of the rear view mirror should work just fine.
Old 01-22-2019, 07:11 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Voyager WiSight backup camera monitor mount

I use a universal phone mount that has a very sticky, pliable suction cup that grips on the textured dash. After a period of time it picks up dust and lint and doesn’t stick well. Just washing it restores the adhesion.
Old 01-22-2019, 07:15 PM   #5
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
GoPro accessories include suction cup assemblies in their offerings. Best Buy was my source, but that was for an older camera. The Voager mount works quite well. I would see if I could get parts from them.

Note - one monitor install on Youtube screwed the mount to a blank plate on the dash of the Moho. They just drilled through the suction cup mount and made it a hard mount for a more secure attachment.

Might check with AS or Camping World and see if they have any parts from returned monitors. Maybe?

Happy shopping. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 05:55 PM   #6
caz
2 Rivet Member

2018 30' Flying Cloud
Elgin , Texas
I too am interested in alternative mounting ideas. I could not get the suction cup to stick to my windshield under the rear view mirror. Ended up rotating the mounting mechanism down and plopping it into my front console cup holder in my Tundra. Been considering mounting it in the nonskid recess pocket on the dash. But, this calls for mounting screws through the dash.
Bill Caz.
caz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 08:00 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' Flying Cloud
Waxahachie , Texas
Might look at Pro Clips. They have a variety of mounts for different vehicles. I use one on my F250 which clips on dash, no suction cups and has a magnetic backing that holds monitor.

Chuck
silverlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 10:52 PM   #8
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
The suction cup sticks better to the windshield if you dampen it with water before attaching it to the glass.
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 05:06 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Thanks to all who replied. Before I purchased another cradle device, I decided to contact the company to see if they would sell just the suction cup portion of the arm (which can be detached separately). They said they couldn't - but rather they took my address and shipped a complete replacement device free of charge. A really pleasant surprise - and I told them so. It's nice to be treated well!
ibosket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 07:35 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
Beaconsfield , Quebec
Ram Mounts to replace Voyageur Monitor Mounting Bracket

The suction cup mount on my Voyageur Monitor model WVOM541AP also broke. The screw pattern that attaches the suction cup assembly to the monitor is standard AMPS Plate dimensions (industry standard for mounts for GPS, phones, etc). As I have RAM mount accessories, I was able to purchase a new mounting plate from RAM mounts that has the AMPS Plate screw pattern (RAM-B-347U for 1 inch ball) for under $10 and use my RAM mount window suction cup accessories that will hold very strong and outlast the life of the AS.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Voyageur Ram Mount Bracket.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	251.4 KB
ID:	377042
duboismjjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 08:06 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by caz View Post
I too am interested in alternative mounting ideas. I could not get the suction cup to stick to my windshield under the rear view mirror. Ended up rotating the mounting mechanism down and plopping it into my front console cup holder in my Tundra. Been considering mounting it in the nonskid recess pocket on the dash. But, this calls for mounting screws through the dash.
Bill Caz.
Great idea. I didn't want anything hanging on the windshield. Using a variety of RAM parts and AMPS fittings, I used the cup holder for my TPMS. My GPS sits in the recess pocket on the dash, and it uses the Garmin bean bag. I'll bet someone makes a Ram to Garmin adaptor. 17mm ball?
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote