Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-21-2014, 03:36 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1963 19' Globetrotter
Folly Beach , South Carolina
Vintage Carlson Gas Heater

The vintage Carlson heater in my 1963 Globe Trotter worked a couple of years ago when I restored the trailer and re-installed it. However, now it won't stay lit. I can get the pilot to light and even stay on long enough to ignite the burner but after a moment something pops and the whole thing shuts down. Is the control valve bad or is it the thermocouple?
Crowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 04:05 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Change the thermocouple and see what happens. They are not expensive. Also make sure the burner is clean. And check for 11" of water column.

Sent from my iPod touch using Airstream Forums
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 04:29 PM   #3
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtcrow View Post
The vintage Carlson heater in my 1963 Globe Trotter worked a couple of years ago when I restored the trailer and re-installed it. However, now it won't stay lit. I can get the pilot to light and even stay on long enough to ignite the burner but after a moment something pops and the whole thing shuts down. Is the control valve bad or is it the thermocouple?
Almost always the thermocouple in that situation. They are cheap and easy to replace.
Old 11-21-2014, 04:43 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1963 19' Globetrotter
Thank ya'll, I'm quite aware of the typical thermocouple symptoms and upon inspection it is clean, not burned. The heater, apparently, has had little use. The pilot stays on after being lit indicating the thermocouple may be OK. Unfortunately the way the unit is built it will have to be removed entirely in order to access the thermocouple. I'm wondering if anyone has experience with this specific heater.
Old 11-21-2014, 06:24 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
If the pilot stays on. When does the furnace shut down? Once the burner lights?
Is there a blower?
What is the gas pressure?
Does the pilot flame look healthy?
Can you observe the burner and pilot?

Sent from my iPod touch using Airstream Forums
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 06:52 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1963 19' Globetrotter
It is not really a furnace but a simple gas heater. A moment after the burner lights something pops and the whole thing goes off. There is no blower. pilot flame is nice and blue. Gas pressure comes through the tank regulator. I can see the burner and pilot, that's how I know what it is doing. I'm wondering if something in the control valve is malfunctioning. Are you familiar with this heater?
Old 11-21-2014, 07:25 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Hinckley , Ohio
It could be spider webs in the burner pipe. Blow it out with an air hose or duster.
Old 11-21-2014, 08:56 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
It sounds like you have the same Carlson Floor Furnace in your trailer that we had in our 1960 Pacer. (Sorry, I can't find a picture.)

It struck me as being a rather nice idea--didn't use any electricity and ought to distribute the heat fairly well. However I never got around to taking it out for a thorough inspection and was a little nervous about it anyway. LP gas appliances and potential carbon monoxide sources have to be treated with great respect.

There is another thread about them on Airforums here:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f427...or-114986.html

The only documentation that we had for the furnace on our 1960 Pacer was a tag, shown here. Ours came with a key for a square shaft--much like an old fashioned roller skate key--for turning the gas on and off.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Carlson_floor_furnace_tag_1.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	227102   Click image for larger version

Name:	Carlson_floor_furnace_tag_2.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	72.1 KB
ID:	227103  

Nuvite-F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 09:17 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

1963 19' Globetrotter
Nuvite,
thank you for that. My sentiments exactly.