Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-23-2015, 01:15 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1964 19' Globetrotter
eagle , Idaho
Vintage Airstream- Where do I start?

Hi,

Been creeping on the forums for a few weeks now. pulled the trigger on a 64 glboe trotter airstream. all original only issue is the wiring is a mess, toilet is cracked and cabinets are falling apart. The exterior is in really good shape.

So it looks like a remodel is in order. we pulled out the front seating area and looks like both front corners have some rot and by the front door.

So my question is where do we start? We've got a project and I know its going to take some time, but what are the first things we should do to get things goin g.

Lots of work to do and would like to get this up and going soon so we can enjoy it and use it for our business as well.
idahoair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 01:45 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Welcome to the Forums!

My recommendation would be to start by fully evaluating the condition of your floor. Go completely around the perimeter of the trailer and determine how much rot you have. Next will be to decide how to repair it. If it just a few isolated spots, then you might be able to get away with patches. IF you come to the conclusion that you are going to need to replace the entire subfloor, then I would say go ahead and remove the entire interior, and the bellypan, build some gantries, and get to work on a shell-off.

If you can get away with a few patches, then you are in luck. Patch your floor, and move on to ensuring the trailer is leak free, replace all the door and window seals, evaluate the condition of the axle (if it is the original, it probably needs to be replaced), and then you can get started evaluating the major appliances, the gas liens and the plumbing.

In your spare time, read some of the "full monty" threads, and buy all the back episodes of the Vintage Airstream Podcast (The VAP), as many of their early episodes addressed the basic challenges of restoring a vintage Airstream.

Good Luck!
Belegedhel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 02:17 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Missouri City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by idahoair View Post
Hi,

Been creeping on the forums for a few weeks now. pulled the trigger on a 64 glboe trotter airstream. all original only issue is the wiring is a mess, toilet is cracked and cabinets are falling apart. The exterior is in really good shape.

So it looks like a remodel is in order. we pulled out the front seating area and looks like both front corners have some rot and by the front door.

So my question is where do we start? We've got a project and I know its going to take some time, but what are the first things we should do to get things goin g.

Lots of work to do and would like to get this up and going soon so we can enjoy it and use it for our business as well.
Include some pictures inside and out the would help.
Old 03-24-2015, 10:23 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1964 19' Globetrotter
eagle , Idaho
thanks

good comments.
its raining here so i'll see if we have any leaks today.
i'll get some interior pics for you.

We have already taken out the floor- it was cheap and we were going to change it up anyways.
we took out the overhead storage and the side gaucho. the fridge doesn't and looked rough inside so we are going to remove.

would like some advice on if we go 110v 12v propane or all 3.
Trying to keep things simple. We've talked about removing the bathroom but are debating because then we just have an expensive tent. A good looking expensive tent but still.

The bathroom sink is cracked the outer layer of the toilet in the lower section is cracked so those will need replaced or we'll have to decide if we are going bathroom-less.

We will use this for camping obviously but also want to use it as we travel to trade shows and events for our business.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150322_191552_resized.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	344.0 KB
ID:	234853   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150321_171045_resized.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	368.9 KB
ID:	234854  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150321_114406_resized.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	430.1 KB
ID:	234855   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150321_154329_resized.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	286.9 KB
ID:	234856  

Old 03-24-2015, 11:48 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Greetings Idaho

Three rules come to mind

#1 Running gear first, (tires bearings brakes)

#2 Curtains and cushions last

#3 Fix leaks before you fix the floor. Almost all leaks will will end up on the floor
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 11:57 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Looks "ready-to-camp". Is it?
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 12:10 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1961 24' Tradewind
1967 26' Overlander
1973 27' Overlander
Savannah , Georgia
You also need to look at your overall goal in this project. Are you looking for a usable restoration? A gut with modern amenities? How will you use it? Out in the wilds away from wifi and running water, or are you more of a full hook up, cable TV and WIFI person. I am wrapping up the work on my 61 Tradewind (usable restoration) and have used it several times now. I have a list of things that I want for the next project. Number one on the list is a gray tank. You do not have one. You have a surface mounted, directly under the toilet back tank. This means limited boondocking, and then only with a tote. If you want tanks, it is going to drive much of your projects as they and the related plumbing all goes subfloor. Electrical, again, are you ready to go with a vent fan or do you need a heat pump/AC unit? Sit down in the trailer, with your laptop and favorite beverage, and start making a list. This forum is a terrific resource. You can see how everyone else has done it, where they have expended their blood, sweat and tears and start envisioning your project. And yes, replace the axle and rest of the running gear before you do ANYTHING else.
beatrix1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 12:19 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
See my responses below in blue:

Quote:
Originally Posted by idahoair View Post
good comments.
its raining here so i'll see if we have any leaks today.
i'll get some interior pics for you.

We have already taken out the floor- it was cheap and we were going to change it up anyways.
we took out the overhead storage and the side gaucho. the fridge doesn't and looked rough inside so we are going to remove.

would like some advice on if we go 110v 12v propane or all 3.
Trying to keep things simple. We've talked about removing the bathroom but are debating because then we just have an expensive tent. A good looking expensive tent but still.

If you buy a brand new fridge, even a 110/propane 2 way fridge, it will likely require a 12V input to support a control board. So this is something to consider--ie., you will need to run 12V to the fridge, as it originally did not have 12V wiring. If you can find a fridge without the 12V requirement, I would say go with a 2-way fridge, and save yourself the needed 12V wiring. If you have to have the 12V regardless for controllers, then I would say go with a 3 way fridge (I don't think the incremental cost is very great). This may result in needing a more robust 12V wire to the fridge, and perhpas greater battery capacity.

The bathroom sink is cracked the outer layer of the toilet in the lower section is cracked so those will need replaced or we'll have to decide if we are going bathroom-less.

I've mulled over the bathroom issue, and decided that not only do I want a bathroom, but a fully functional one that is large enough for someone to go into, close the door, and change clothes. No wet bath for me. I feel like without the bathroom, you might as well be sleeping in a tent with a nice mattress.

We will use this for camping obviously but also want to use it as we travel to trade shows and events for our business.

Good luck!
Belegedhel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 07:23 PM   #9
Trottinon

1962 19' Globetrotter
Maplewood , Minnesota
Idahoair,

Welcome to the forums! We are in the process of rebuilding a '62 Globetrotter. The majority of our rot was found underneath the toilet, sink and tub. In planning our layout we decided that we did not need 1/3 of a 19' trailer dedicated to a bathroom. We plan on putting in a side wet bath. We stripped the trailer when we brought it home as it was worn out and very dirty. We used the AS as a rolling tent for a few years as we figured out what we wanted. Coming from tent camping everything seemed like a luxury. We did a shell off to rebuild the frame, replace the floor, add tanks, insulate and replace the belly pan. We are currently in the process of sealing seams/rivets from the inside. Our goal for this year is to get the windows replaced and sealed, interior insulated and wired. Once that is done we can use it once again. The interior finishes will follow as time permits. We are also planning on using a composting toilet eleminating the need for a black tank and allowing additional options for placement of the toilet.

Think safety - axles, bearings, tires, gas lines and appliances. These should be your first concerns, projects, investments.

Nancy
Cncampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 07:35 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1964 19' Globetrotter
eagle , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandolindave View Post
Three rules come to mind

#1 Running gear first, (tires bearings brakes)

#2 Curtains and cushions last

#3 Fix leaks before you fix the floor. Almost all leaks will will end up on the floor
GOOD points.

I hadn't thought about the the running gear first, but good comment.
Old 03-25-2015, 07:36 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1964 19' Globetrotter
eagle , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.hony View Post
Looks "ready-to-camp". Is it?
it is ready to camp minus the bathroom and no cushions when we bought it.
Old 03-25-2015, 07:41 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1964 19' Globetrotter
eagle , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belegedhel View Post
See my responses below in blue:

Good luck!
thanks for the advice. I think the bathroom is a real big question for us.
we go back and forth and when the wife gets involved it seems more like it'll stay but my brother/partner and i chat about it. we talk about not having it to not have to hassle with the refurb of it and emptying tanks adding a grey water tank.
Old 03-25-2015, 07:49 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1964 19' Globetrotter
eagle , Idaho
the bearings have been greased and packed, the axel we need to look into. i'm told this year's axel should just be replaced as they will eventually fail.
Old 03-25-2015, 08:10 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2000 19' Bambi
mt. Prospect , Illinois
You'll want all three - 110v 12v and propane. The ability to plug in will help you extend your camping time, which would be limited to battery capacity otherwise. Also, if you are using it for biz, you'll want the lights on without worrying about that. Also, you'll need 12v to power the electric brakes and emergency breakaway. Propane for cooking, hot water and a furnace make camping comfortable, and a propane refrig keeps things cold when you aren't plugged in. That's a nice looking trailer! If you ever want to sell, you'll get more if someone else doesn't have to restore those functions.
robert claus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 09:40 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1964 19' Globetrotter
eagle , Idaho
Thanks for the thoughts. that's where I'm leaning as well. my brothers are helping me on the trailer as it is a "company" trailer so we all have different thoughts and what we want to do on the budget. but I think the fridge should be functional for sure. The existing furnace in the GT is huge and seems to take up a lot of space. I think we are going to try to turn that into seating and move the furnace to somewhere else or get a heat pump/ac combo. still debating that