Old 07-31-2016, 02:00 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member
1968 26' Overlander
Frankfurt , on the road
Originally Posted by 64airstream View Post
Thanks Tony,

This is a timely post for us. We pick up our AC unit and accessories today and plan to cut the same opening in our 68 Overlander next week. Did you make your cut just aft of the concertina door or just forward of the door?

I plan to cut a 4" diameter hole with a hole saw first to feel around for the wires. Your photo helps me know what to expect.

Roy and Marie
The cut is after the concertina door exactly midway between the rectangular and square vents. That left about 3-4" space to the next ceiling light, which is where I connected to 12V on Circuit 2.

My tool of choice was an angle grinder with a 1mm precision blade for stainless steel because I have really a lot of hours with this tool and can cut fine work with it. I would not recommend anyone to do this cut without a lot of prior experience. Consider also that the panels are under tension and will pop up slightly when cut through. I used that to my advantage to "see" when the panel was cut and not go any deeper.

The cables will be pretty much pressed up to the underside of the aluminium. Basically expect the worst. I think that I had a lucky day.

tony hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 03:22 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member
1964 22' Safari
1968 26' Overlander
Beaver County , Pennsylvania
Tony, Thanks again for sharing your experience. I'll have the trailer completely disconnected from power and the battery disconnected, then try to not create new opportunities for electrical work.

64airstream is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 01:42 PM   #17
1 Rivet Member
1968 26' Overlander
Frankfurt , on the road
Update: DIY inner aluminium trim

Here is the link to a new thread which describes how I made an inner trim in Aluminium similar to the late 60's-70's inner vent trims.

tony hunt is offline   Reply With Quote