Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-14-2016, 01:23 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
Frankfurt , on the road
Very naughty to cut a new vent opening?

1968 Overlander International without A/C:

I have a Maxxair on the way. Would it be very naughty to cut a completely new hole for the Maxxair just aft of the solar dome?

Lying in one of the twin beds right now, it looks like it would fit exactly between the concertina door and the next roof frame member. I realise I would have to get 12V to that point.

The reason I ask: to get the Maxxair to fit means having to remove one of the original curved aluminium vent frames and cutting the skins in the corners square. To my mind, cutting a completely new opening in the middle would be more respectful to this old unit than ripping out one of the existing vents. Or have I just drunk too much Bavarian beer?
tony hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 02:36 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
1961 24' Tradewind
Strasburg , Pennsylvania
It is your trailer...if you feel comfortable, go for it. Your point about respecting the original vents and leaving them intact makes lots of sense to me.

I have made similar changes to my '64 with no regrets, but always going the extra mile to conserve the original look of the trailer.
PA BAMBI II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 03:08 PM   #3
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up Welcome Aboard....

If they work properly...... only original once.

Bob
Old 07-14-2016, 03:15 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1984 27' Airstream 270
Scotia , New York
Your home is what you make of it...
WayneG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 06:09 PM   #5
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hunt View Post
Would it be very naughty to cut a completely new hole for the Maxxair just aft of the solar dome?
Well, Santa might bring you a lump of coal for Christmas, but being on the "naughty" list is a lot more fun. Go for it!
Old 07-14-2016, 07:48 PM   #6
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
I just finished replacing my stock fan with a Maxxair (yes, cutting the rounded hole square) and also cutting a new 14" hole in my rear convertible lounge for another Maxxair. Not stock, but a whole lot nicer having hot stuffy air replaced in less than 5 minutes.

Go for it and you will not regret it.

Cheers
Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 08:12 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Do it, just be careful..
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 08:23 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
Frankfurt , on the road
Thank you for all your replies. I appreciate them, especially the reminder to be careful.

The Maxxair Deluxe arrived today and I intend to fit it next week when the temperature should drop lower. I am convinced a new cut-out is the way to go.
Old 07-20-2016, 08:34 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
Austin , Texas
This past weekend, I cut a 14x14 hole in the roof of my '67 Caravel. Once the backordered Coleman-Mach Polar Cub arrives, it will fill the hole. I contemplated using the existing vent hole for the A/C, but it would have meant the unit would hang too far rearward and look funny due to the rear roof curving downward just aft of the vent opening. The factory A/C wiring happened to be about 60" forward of the rearmost main spar/rib. Perfect. At first I was very reluctant to cut the hole, but now am fine with it as it will mean window A/C unit (installed by my uncle...PO) goes away and I get a window again.

BTW, the read lettering near the new opening was there when I opened up the ceiling. It says: "AC nope". Assuming it was written in the factory to tell production workers that this particular trailer was not to receive A/C so don't cut a hole in the roof.
David F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 01:13 AM   #10
1 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
Frankfurt , on the road
Thanks David.

I took a close look at images of stripped '68 Overlanders first and guessed there would be cables exactly where I wanted to cut over the twin bed area midway between the astra and solardomes.

Enclosed is a picture of the cables that were found in the cut area. I re-arranged them to the original positions for clarity in the photo.
By cutting really carefully, just thick enough to cut the metal and no more, the cables were not harmed. As soon as I could, I peeked inside the cut and moved the cables as I went.

I'm having the metal shop fabricate a simple aluminium interior frame with radiused corners to respect the interior and the astra and solardome frames. If this works out, I will post a new thread. I like the Maxx Fan so far.
Old 07-30-2016, 05:12 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
1968 26' Overlander
Beaver County , Pennsylvania
Thanks Tony,

This is a timely post for us. We pick up our AC unit and accessories today and plan to cut the same opening in our 68 Overlander next week. Did you make your cut just aft of the concertina door or just forward of the door?

I plan to cut a 4" diameter hole with a hole saw first to feel around for the wires. Your photo helps me know what to expect.

Roy and Marie
64airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 07:29 AM   #12
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
A 4" hole saw is going to be almost impossible to control without part of it flying through the aluminum and cutting into wires. Go out and buy one of these with an appropriate blade and being careful you can gauge how far through the skin you are cutting. You then walk the blade across the cut.

Cheers
Tony
Attached Images

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 09:44 AM   #13
in the rising sun toaster

1956 26' Cruiser/Overlander
Wimberley , Texas
+1 re using an oscillating saw (aka multi-tool saw) for custom cutting. Oscillating saws are arguably the most useful power tool development in recent decades. Many factors support this assessment: inexpensive (e.g. Harbor Freight's corded, or uncorded, w/ assorted blades for ~$30; durable as well), very compact and light, easily controlled allowing precise and visible depth control and sawblade advance, blade is ~300+ degrees rotate-able supporting "the angle of best approach" in tight spaces (vs. sabre/recip saws, hole-saws, or what-have-you-saws which typically cannot be depth controlled as finely as an oscillator saw can be, nor can other types of saws get "close enough" nor "angled correctly" for many custom tasks).
rsjmcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 10:00 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
1968 26' Overlander
Thanks, will do.
Roy
Old 07-31-2016, 02:00 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
Frankfurt , on the road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 64airstream View Post
Thanks Tony,

This is a timely post for us. We pick up our AC unit and accessories today and plan to cut the same opening in our 68 Overlander next week. Did you make your cut just aft of the concertina door or just forward of the door?

I plan to cut a 4" diameter hole with a hole saw first to feel around for the wires. Your photo helps me know what to expect.

Roy and Marie
The cut is after the concertina door exactly midway between the rectangular and square vents. That left about 3-4" space to the next ceiling light, which is where I connected to 12V on Circuit 2.

My tool of choice was an angle grinder with a 1mm precision blade for stainless steel because I have really a lot of hours with this tool and can cut fine work with it. I would not recommend anyone to do this cut without a lot of prior experience. Consider also that the panels are under tension and will pop up slightly when cut through. I used that to my advantage to "see" when the panel was cut and not go any deeper.

The cables will be pretty much pressed up to the underside of the aluminium. Basically expect the worst. I think that I had a lucky day.
Old 08-01-2016, 03:22 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
1968 26' Overlander
Tony, Thanks again for sharing your experience. I'll have the trailer completely disconnected from power and the battery disconnected, then try to not create new opportunities for electrical work.

Roy
Old 09-14-2016, 01:42 PM   #17
1 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
Frankfurt , on the road
Update: DIY inner aluminium trim

Here is the link to a new thread which describes how I made an inner trim in Aluminium similar to the late 60's-70's inner vent trims.
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f455...ts-156682.html