Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-15-2017, 03:41 PM   #1
Rivet Master

Tavares , Florida
Use Flea Collar on Jacks to deter bugs?

I did a quick search but did not see this topic pop up.

Lately we've had a few random insects (various) in the trailer. I have successfully used bug spray judiciously to keep them at bay, and we are more or less bug free these days.

My question relates to these Flea Collar suggestions. I seem to recall being advised to keep a Flea Collar in the fridge outer compartment to deter bugs from entering. I never did that but it made me wonder:

If you wrapped a Flea Collar around the upper area of the foot of each of the Stabilizer Jacks, would this tend to be effective in keeping say ants and so forth from getting in via the jack feet?
“Character is doing the right thing when nobody’s looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that’s right is to get by, and the only thing that’s wrong is to get caught.” - J.C. Watts Jr.
Rich Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 03:45 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Give it a try and let us know how it works out. I use liquid bug spray, works as well anything I have tried. Don’t forget Water and waste hoses, power cords and any other connection to the outside.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 05:28 PM   #3
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
What I find effective is to surround all points of contact with the ground with Comet cleanser. It's effective at repelling crawling insects such as ants, and because of the blue color, you can easily tell when it has washed away and you need to apply more.

But you have to apply it at all points of contact, including jacks, tires, hoses, and cords. For hoses and cords, you only have to apply it at the closest point of contact with the ground, not the whole length, but be sure it covers the top of the hose or cord, too. Getting the cleanser behind the tires can be awkward, so it may be easier to sprinkle out a small pile where each of the tires will be before parking, then park on top of the piles.

I make a point of applying Comet around picnic table legs, too, to keep ants off the table.

I learned this trick at Eastbank Campground on Lake Seminole, when I was there during an Argentine Ant infestation a few years ago. When people checked in, the camp host distributed flyers listing this method of insect control. And it worked just fine for the whole week I was there.
Old 10-16-2017, 06:21 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Tavares , Florida
Thanks guys. Very interesting ideas.

I'll likely try the Comet suggestion as well.

Thanks again!

Rich
“Character is doing the right thing when nobody’s looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that’s right is to get by, and the only thing that’s wrong is to get caught.” - J.C. Watts Jr.
Old 10-16-2017, 06:54 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Comet, who would of thunk. Going to have to give that a try.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 07:21 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 25' International CCD FB
Northridge , California
I use the cheap dollar store bug powder. I read ants dont want to walk through powdery stuff it clings to the lil hairs on their legs..
LilNomad
LiLNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 07:25 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Sunset Valley , Texas
Interesting about Comet, but it made me wonder about its biological implications...

Found this on the interwebs: "A chemical analysis of Comet Disinfectant Cleanser Powder showed that it, “…emitted 146 different chemicals, including some thought to cause cancer, asthma and reproductive disorders. The most toxic chemicals detected – formaldehyde, benzene, chloroform and toluene – are not listed on the label.”
Iansk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 08:07 AM   #8
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iansk View Post
Found this on the interwebs: "A chemical analysis of Comet Disinfectant Cleanser Powder showed that it, “…emitted 146 different chemicals, including some thought to cause cancer, asthma and reproductive disorders. The most toxic chemicals detected – formaldehyde, benzene, chloroform and toluene – are not listed on the label.”
Found here: https://gimmethegoodstuff.org/comets-tale/

They do not say which laboratory performed the analysis, when the analysis was performed, which testing techniques were used, or any other information that would allow for independent verification. It does not say how many parts per million are emitted of any chemical (ppm/concentrations are vital data in determining toxicity), or whether the release was in liquid form after adding water, or in gaseous form, or whether out-gassing was due to a chemical reaction with the surface on which it's used. Even the author of the web page is just listed as "John, a Certified Holistic Health Coach." No surname given, no scientific credentials "Holistic Health Coach" is a nutrition degree. Therefore, I can only conclude that there is nothing authoritative whatsoever in that article.

I have a Material Safety Data Sheet for Comet Cleanser with bleach, which identifies only chlorine gas as a hazardous out-gassing product. But every product that contains bleach will out-gas chlorine, and we use bleach all the time to disinfect our plumbing, and then drain the water to let it run into storm sewers. I do not believe that a bit of Comet on the ground poses a health risk. Animals will leave it alone, including ants, which is why it works as a repellent.
Old 10-16-2017, 09:05 AM   #9
Rivet Master

Tavares , Florida
Hey I had another thought: DE?

(Diatomaceous Earth)

As I understand this is another critter repellant but might not have any side effects etc.
Old 10-16-2017, 09:06 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
My understanding of the way a flea collar works is the little buggers must navigate past the collar to get water from the dog's mouth area, which kills them over time. It is not a repellant per se.

I do use a flea collar on my Jack. Here is a picture.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Jack8:16.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	118.6 KB
ID:	297123  
Old 10-16-2017, 11:26 AM   #11
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Las Vegas , Nevada
I use livestock ear tags impregnated with insecticide. Store used ones in zip lock baggies for reuse.
acemakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 11:31 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Watertown , Massachusetts
Borax?

I'm wondering if Borax would work instead of Comet? It's less expensive and comes in larger boxes and is often used as an insect killer.

The label says it is sodium tetraborate. It also says "Does not contain phosphates or chlorine".
sallye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 11:33 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Jeez, flea collars don't keep fleas off dogs, why would they work on jacks?

I vote for a sprinkle of 20 mule team borax. Put it in a large salt shaker like the aluminum ones seen in kitchens.
The boric acid is a repellant.

I once found ants in my former RV. Hundreds, if I left food out like a banana. I finally traced the line to a cardboard box that had gotten wet in the storage bay. It had a million ants in it. I assume a queen also. I tossed the box, vacuumed the bay, sprayed a little bug spray, and they never came back.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 11:59 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Watertown , Massachusetts
Story

Before getting our trailer, we had a summer home in NH. There were some carpenter ants that kept appearing in the kitchen, and we were trying to figure out where they were coming from.

One morning, hubby had gone off to the hardware store, and I saw some ants and finally figured out that they were living between two pieces of plywood that had a space between them and was under the sink. The faucet was leaking just a bit, so the wood was wet - thus the ants.

Still in my PJs, I got out the crow bar and proceeded to pry off one of the pieces of plywood. It came off all of a sudden and out tumbled the whole ant colony including many eggs and the queen, all over me in my PJs. And, because of the stupid way I'd been prying the wood, I managed to dislocate my shoulder in the process.

So there I sat, with a dislocated shoulder, covered in ants, eggs, the queen on the floor, and no one to help me.

The moral - if you are going to do something stupid, at least get dressed first!
sallye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 04:02 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
1987 29' Sovereign
1978 31' Sovereign
Tampa Bay , Florida
We've also used Comet for the better part of 20 years and have been bug free. Have recommended it to other campers who have told us they too were amazed as it solved the pest problem for them too. Also use the boric acid powder, the one that is "safe for restaurants & hospitality" industry. Although we don't use either indoors.

"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” – St. Augustine
369goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 07:27 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1998 36' Land Yacht Widebody
Shepherdstown , West Virginia
Wow....Comet cleaning powder...who would have guessed something simple can keep a million ants away. Might go to Walmart tonight and get some. Ever since I got to Georgia few weeks ago I have been fighting ants at both ends of the Airstream.

Another tip to avoid ants. Do not let a pine tree limb touch your roof!!! Last year I had a small limb touching my rear AC unit. Did not realize it was a problem till the day I pulled out for Florida. Drove all day and got into Ft. Lauderdale at night. Turned on AC and it started blowing out ants all over my bed!!! They had gotten into the AC unit and stayed there for the whole 11 hour drive. What a mess!! Needless to say I slept on the couch that night.
Mike1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 07:25 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

1988 32.5' Airstream 325
WhereIam , Left Coast Proud
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llando88 View Post
Hey I had another thought: DE?

(Diatomaceous Earth)

As I understand this is another critter repellant but might not have any side effects etc.
Great one Llando, diatomaceous earth actually IS a killer, not a repellent though. The sharp crystals, micro sized, slice through the exoskeleton leaving them exposed and causing the insects a death of dehydration.

Of all the products people speak of, this one does the least damage to the environment and animals, IF used only around contact points.

If however, diatomaceous earth is used widely spread in wild areas, it can upset the balance of nature. Ants and other insects that we don't like are natures clean up crew and very necessary to the world. When we are camping in THEIR neighborhood, we don't really have the right to nuke it for our own comfort.

I don't like insects in my home either, (TOTAL FAN of Insects outside!), so first thing I do is make sure my home and my Airstream does not send out Ant Restaurant Vibes. Like the time I spilt a little coffee on the headboard of our bed. It was only a few drops, but it was sugary sweet and I had ants within a few hours. 1st rule, keep your home very clean where food and drink spills are concerned. I had only wiped that spill with a dry tissue.

2nd rule, make your home inhospitable for insects. For myself I use a very strong peppermint spray. 1cup rubbing alcohol w/2 to 4ozs of peppermint oil. ⚠️ ⚠️⚠️⚠️Do NOT spray this into a breeze, a fan, or anyone's face. It's painful and can injure eyes, or cause breathing problems. If you decide to do this, it's at your own risk. I have a little house, maybe 600sq ft. I only use the spray at entry points for ants, corners and behind furniture for spiders. If I want to destroy an ant trail, I squirt the spray into cotton balls and wipe the pheromone trail right off the floor or windowsill.

Peppermint is not a poison, but the smell is so strong that it deters insects. Much like if you entered what looked to be a very promising restaurant, but upon entering you got a nose full of pepperspray by your local sheriff. You'd turn around and leave, right? Your pets will not like the smell, but they won't stick their nose into it. If you do this, take your pets out for several hours at least. A couple days is kindest. You may not smell it after a while, but that doesn't mean your insect buddies don't. There are other plant oils that deter insects, try google, I find making my own cuts the cost considerably most of the time, and I like the fact that I am allowed to choose the strength.

BORIC ACID is one of the best killers for insects, like the diatomaceous earth it's sharp crystals cut the exoskeleton multiple times, not enough to kill it immediately, but to open his exoskeleton up to a slow death of dehydration while he walks amongst his nest buddies carrying boric acid powder on his body and thus shedding and sharing it with all of them. I Successfully used Boric Acid to completely rid my apartment of roaches when I was a young single. BUT Boric Acid is a poison to your pets AND your children. Potentially fatal if not caught immediately. It's best use is inside walls. If you have a place for your kids and pets for a while, you can lay out boric acid until all your insects are annihilated, then vacuum all of it up and wipe the place down. I did this, I laid out the boric acid after a couple apt bombs. Three months later I cleaned it all up before my child was born.

These are my top 3.
3wd67rg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 10:18 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Sunset Valley , Texas
Very thoughtful reply...

Thank you PammieSue,

Very informative post. I for one appreciate your responsible approach.

The thought of spreading the practice of using irresponsible products for ease of comfort kind of turned my stomach.

Hopefully others will read your post and think twice about their methods of pest control.

Ian
Iansk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 10:22 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Oak Creek , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by sallye View Post
Before getting our trailer, we had a summer home in NH. There were some carpenter ants that kept appearing in the kitchen, and we were trying to figure out where they were coming from.

One morning, hubby had gone off to the hardware store, and I saw some ants and finally figured out that they were living between two pieces of plywood that had a space between them and was under the sink. The faucet was leaking just a bit, so the wood was wet - thus the ants.

Still in my PJs, I got out the crow bar and proceeded to pry off one of the pieces of plywood. It came off all of a sudden and out tumbled the whole ant colony including many eggs and the queen, all over me in my PJs. And, because of the stupid way I'd been prying the wood, I managed to dislocate my shoulder in the process.

So there I sat, with a dislocated shoulder, covered in ants, eggs, the queen on the floor, and no one to help me.

The moral - if you are going to do something stupid, at least get dressed first!
Oh my! Covered in carpenter ants. I can't imagine. I've been bitten by them.
They are mean in Michigan.
Dingo Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 01:51 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Oak Creek , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by acemakr View Post
I use livestock ear tags impregnated with insecticide. Store used ones in zip lock baggies for reuse.
So does that mean there is insecticide on/in a cow ear dog treat?
Very curious about this.
Dingo Girl is offline   Reply With Quote