Old 08-20-2018, 12:27 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2017 20' Flying Cloud
Nashville , Tennessee
Us too! Warranty Frustration

RV lovers,
We've had our new 2017 FC20 at Chilhowee RV in TN for going on THREE MONTHS for warranty work. We dropped her off on June 30th and told all would be about a 4 week turn around. (When our lake wknd was cut short by the AC unit which stopped working.)

I was told on July 17 work was approved and today, Aug 20th NO ONE has contacted us to tell us ANYTHING about the process and timeline. I've initiated all calls to Chilhowee and just keep being given further dates. Imagine my disappointment to find that they have not even received the part (flooring) from Airstream. This from an intermittent leak from the hot water heater, (under warranty) I was told a month ago it was on its way. Our summer vacation for Aug (bid a year in advance) has now been ruined and we just keep being put off. Chilhowee is "Very busy." Airstream piped right in on a original post to this forum with a form reply including with an invite to contact them directly...

Well, I did contact Airstream with a letter on Aug 06, and guess what? NO RESPONSE!

We also want to upgrade already but, geeeeesh.... We are so sad our dream is diminished

We feel utterly forgotten and un-cared for. No consideration for the HUGE amount of money a brand new unit cost and then has so may problems less than two years in that no one seems to have a sense of urgency in our satisfaction nor the regard for the travel time involved to get an authorized repair in a fair amount of time. Lack of communication beats out all, Nothing worse than having to do the investigating on why its taking so long, to be then pulled in to a dealer vs airstream problem, to be actually told that it may help if we contact airstream ourselves to hurry the part delivery.
"Put a fire under em."

What do we do now?! Looks like, at this rate, we'll get her back just in time to winterize and grieve, that two years in, we had to have warranty work on AC/Water Heater/flooring and didn't get to have our yearly vacation in our dream airstream.

Has anyone had positive amends from Airstream and/or dealer for warranty work?

Are our expectations too high for Airstream?

Is THREE MONTHS too soon for us to be impatient and resentful?

Are we crazy to consider an upgrade or should we take this as a sign?

Thanks for your responses/Advice~

KiTTinBNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 12:47 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Salem , Oregon
Well until your unit is fixed it will be hard to trade in. Also you will want to research other dealers. You would not want to buy from them again.

Good Luck.

Dave

NoResults is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 12:53 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1974 21' Globetrotter
2016 30' International
Houston , Texas
First time we took ours in for warranty work, we were with out the trailer for 4 months. Second time we took the trailer to a different dealer, and we have been without the trailer for 2.5 months with no timeline for completion. I am beginning to think 3 months is normal.

In all fairness, a hailstorm rolled through the dealership the second time so it it still sitting there to have panels replaced.
70CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 12:58 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2013 20' Flying Cloud
Westerly , Rhode Island
Well, June 30th to today is closer to a month and a half than three, but still a long time. Is this a repair that absolutely must be done in order to use the trailer? You can't use the trailer until the part arrives then bring it in? Or is the trailer already torn apart waiting for the flooring?
smithcreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 01:08 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Shameful treatment!

You might want to post in this thread also:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f542...as-182914.html

Good luck,

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 01:29 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
KiTTinBNA... try to get an appointment date at Jackson Center, OH Airstream.

I towed our 2006 23 foot Safari from Denver to Jackson Center to have a list of items done. They did those and several items we did not request, but they fixed them as well. They were proficient and did wonderful work. Our problems were simple compared to yours. The Service Techs will actually... listen to you.

Local dealers have no room in their lot to park warranty projects, slow turnaround times for any repairs and do not respond to inquiries, unlike their 'Sales Department'.

If you get an appointment at Jackson Center, check out your trailer as if you are a buying it. Make the list. Take the factory tours a few times. Meet fellow new trailer owners and have the free hot chocolate / coffee in the comfortable waiting room.

Be... pushy. Follow up your phone call(s) to get onto the list. It is well worth it and you will have years of enjoyment after this.
Old 08-20-2018, 02:02 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2017 23' International
hendersonville , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiTTinBNA View Post
RV lovers,
We've had our new 2017 FC20 at Chilhowee RV in TN for going on THREE MONTHS for warranty work. We dropped her off on June 30th and told all would be about a 4 week turn around. (When our lake wknd was cut short by the AC unit which stopped working.)

I was told on July 17 work was approved and today, Aug 20th NO ONE has contacted us to tell us ANYTHING about the process and timeline. I've initiated all calls to Chilhowee and just keep being given further dates. Imagine my disappointment to find that they have not even received the part (flooring) from Airstream. This from an intermittent leak from the hot water heater, (under warranty) I was told a month ago it was on its way. Our summer vacation for Aug (bid a year in advance) has now been ruined and we just keep being put off. Chilhowee is "Very busy." Airstream piped right in on a original post to this forum with a form reply including with an invite to contact them directly...

Well, I did contact Airstream with a letter on Aug 06, and guess what? NO RESPONSE!

We also want to upgrade already but, geeeeesh.... We are so sad our dream is diminished

We feel utterly forgotten and un-cared for. No consideration for the HUGE amount of money a brand new unit cost and then has so may problems less than two years in that no one seems to have a sense of urgency in our satisfaction nor the regard for the travel time involved to get an authorized repair in a fair amount of time. Lack of communication beats out all, Nothing worse than having to do the investigating on why its taking so long, to be then pulled in to a dealer vs airstream problem, to be actually told that it may help if we contact airstream ourselves to hurry the part delivery.
"Put a fire under em."

What do we do now?! Looks like, at this rate, we'll get her back just in time to winterize and grieve, that two years in, we had to have warranty work on AC/Water Heater/flooring and didn't get to have our yearly vacation in our dream airstream.

Make an appointment at The Mothership. I live in Western North Carolina so it is a 500 mile run one way. I have been in twice for some warranty work. Fantastic! Make a Monday appointment and head up on Sunday the day before. Camp right at the factory. They pull your Airstream in at 7:30 or so and your normally done in a day or two. Take the factory tour. Talk to all the other Airstream owners there for service. Make a nice trip out of it. I have heard some not so nice things about the dealer your involved with. They are much closer to my home and I did visit there and attempted to purchase. NO GO on pricing. Purchased from Colonial Airstream, Great experience and a very enjoyable 1500 mile round trip to pick up new 23D. Worth every mile and minute. Good luck getting fixed up. Hope it is sooner than later.
uraljohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 02:50 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Such a bummer. Sorry to hear it.

I second the recommendation to go to Jackson Center to have warranty work done at the factory. Iíve had that and custom work done there - always VERY satisfied. I also had some work done at Colonial in N.J. - is also recommend them as a dealer - they seem to really know their stuff and they care about their customers. I donít know what reputable dealers are closer to your location (Nashville according to your profile). Perhaps those who live closer could make better personal recommendations. But the factory is a do-able 1 day trip for you from Nashville.

Best of luck - sorry things havenít been working out for you....
SteveSueMac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 09:42 AM   #9
Airstream Ambassador

Jackson Center , Ohio
Quote:
RV lovers,

"Put a fire under em."

Hi KiTTinBNA,

We're very sorry. Can you please send us a direct message with your contact information and the last 6 digits of your VIN so that we can send it directly to the Customer Service and Technical Support team.

Thank you.
Old 08-21-2018, 10:33 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2016 28' International
Perry , Georgia
I also agree with going back to Jackson Center.

Will be going up first of October for our last warranty work.
Always had to wait for a month or two for the appointment, but it was worth it.
Plus our repairs were not emergencies.

Definitely watch the reviews here on the forum, it gives you a good idea which dealer is worth the trip.

John
J-K Georgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 11:14 AM   #11
1 Rivet Member

2016 16' Sport
Boulder , Colorado
Quote:
RV lovers,

"Put a fire under em."

The RV industry and Airstream company need to improve their customer service, repair and warranty commitment much, much more. Many RV, trailer owners I know have been very discouraged by the lack of quality and timely repair service and would not recommend nor buy another RV, trailer ever.
Mike400AS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 11:22 AM   #12
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Unfortunately everyone takes their respective trailers out in the spring, remembering, "Oh yeah, forgot that was broken"; then takes it into their respective overloaded dealer, who loves selling trailers but not doing warranty work, to get fixed.
I've stated this many times, forget the warranty, it isn't worth the hassle or losing vacation time over; learn to fix or improve the trailer yourself; even if it is brand new.

Cheers
Sidekick Tony

ďItís a recession when your neighbor loses his job; itís a depression when you lose your own.Ē "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 09:06 PM   #13
"Space A" S/O Registry 11

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
I always keep a running laundry list of thing to service, fix, and/or customize on my rig. If i can't do it myself, I go to Jackson Center. I usually keep a standing appointment made annually in advance because, by the time that comes up there are several things I can no longer do or need technical help with anyway. The RV industry is growing so fast that warranty and routine service is in a real log jam. If you don't get a summer appointment well in advance, there won't be one available. It used to be that dropping off in the Fall was a good way to take care of the bigger jobs and leave it for the winter for enen bigger repair or custom jobs. Now that time is getting busy. I really don't see thing changing any time soon wnen you consider Airstream is buiding a whole new factory and hiring another 400 employees. That new production will generate more service needs to take care or all the additional new sales. I think you will see the service center expanding beyound the 32 bays they just expanded from 16. Over time, i feel Airstream and Thor have the management capability to cope with the growth. The fact that Thor has all the cash up front to do these large scale factory expasions is impressive.
guskmg
guskmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 10:45 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2011 22' Sport
Portland , Oregon
I honestly think that the new longer warranty is a bandaid for this issue and the poor quality control. They need to extend the warranty to allow for your AS sitting on the dealer lot for 6-months for warranty work...you get it back, use it twice and repeat.

The more I read these stories the more it guarantees I will buy a slightly used AS that someone else dealt with the headache of getting to a functional state.

SilverHouseDreams is online now   Reply With Quote