Old 03-10-2009, 04:54 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1979 Argosy 27
1969 21' Globetrotter
1953 25' Cruiser
Front Royal , Virginia
Upset with Camping World. Would you be?

Hey I am new to the travel trailer world so when I bought my new 79 Argosy I wanted someone to check the thing out and let me know what I was in for. I spent over $1000 for them to give it:

1. 45 point inspection
2. pack the bearings
3. clean and check the hot water heater and furnace.
4. request they check the Axel and brakes
5. give me an orientation on what was what
6. re winterize the trailer

After I went I had my suspicions on what they actually did. The guy told me:

The brakes were fine. However, I know that wires were broken off, just dangling down to the ground and they could not work.

Told me the axles were fine and the rusted shocks don't do anything necessary. After reading Andy's thread about the dura torque Axel they are not fine and need to be replaced.

The propane lines were fine, no leaks. However, the line to the hot water heater was crimped closed near a shut off under the trailer. Wouldn't you check the visible shut off valve when you check for the propane leaks?

The hot water heater did not work. No s&^% the line was crushed closed.

Told me he removed the furnace to clean it and it did not work. So I took it out the see about replacing it. The were so many mud dobber mounds the vents are plastered completely shut and about 4 inches thick. To say the least it was never touched.

He allegedly check the water lines but now I have my doubts. I am afraid to test it until the weather warms up and a less of a chance of things freezing.

I am slowing learning about my Argosy and enjoy working on it. But the more I learn the more upset I get about wasting that money and having the feel of being lied to. I took it to Camping World because I thought that they would serve me right. I have friends that take their trailers there and recommended it.

I am planning on taking the furnace back to Camping World and see if they will service it like I had paid for.

My question is, should I be upset? Or is this to be expected? For you more experienced owners would you be upset and what would you do? My wife wants me to contact their corporate office and complain. My thing is that I bought an old trailer with visible issues and they did not know how to deal with it. That would be fine just tell me and I would go somewhere else.

I would appreciate anyones opinions and/or ideas.

nick6930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 05:03 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member
1974 Argosy 24
Science Hill , Kentucky
Well I do understand what you are talking about when dealing with these people....I went in to get a awning put on our Argosy and a a/c well one person told me that there were no awnings made anymore that would fit the curve of the camper and that the a/c could be put on with no problem......then the next person said that the first person was "dumb" and that yes they can get me a awning but the a/c will need a special made adaptor to get it to fit with the curve that goes with these campers......then I asked on this forum about the a/c and awning and found out the real we are taking it straight to the factory and getting them to put things on correctly. Sorry about your experience with them.

Kevin & Monique
New to A/S---Not to Honey Do's
Sweetie (lab) Snickers (lab) Blackie(lab)
Dotz(daschund) CB (daschund) Oh and 3 kids!!!
mouth012006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 05:03 PM   #3
2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
If it smells like a duck, sound like a duck and acts like a duck, it's probably a duck. I think they didn't service your unit as well as they claim to have given the info you've provided and I would think that you have a legit complaint. $1000 also seems a bit high for the services they are alleged to have done. Not sure how many parts they used, but if you go by the ballpark of $85/hr, if they spent 8 hours on it, that would be $680. If they didn't use many parts or didn't work on the unit all day, I think they may have taken you for a short ride to your wallet.
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 05:04 PM   #4
1972 Travelux Princess 25
Cobourg , Ontario
What a bunch of thieves. They should be arrested by the police.
Living in the trailer park of sense, looking out the window at a tornado of stupidity.
Ganaraska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 05:05 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2016 20' Flying Cloud
Centennial , Colorado
Hi Nick,

You should definitely get in touch with the Manager at Camping World and negotiate whatever you can to right the "wrongs", however in general, I don't believe the folks at Camping World understand the nuances of Airstreams. You might be best served to go to an Airstream dealer or someone else who knows how they work.

Good luck and sorry it has started in a negative way for you. Keep the faith....Airstreams Rock!!
Steve "Centennial Man"
centennialman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 05:11 PM   #6
Site Team
, Minnesota
From your description, I expect they just made an honest mistake and gave that Holiday Rambler parked next to you a $1000 inspection.
markdoane is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 06:17 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member
Belington , West Virginia
I would take the bill and the trailer back and with a non confrontational approach show them the things you have described to us and listen to their explanation as to what they did and didn't do for your $1000. If they say your axles and shocks are fine, then discuss with them why they may not be. If there are loose wires hanging at the brakes, ask them what they are for. If the water heater does not work, ask them if the crimped line is the problem. If it is, ask them why they didn't catch that in their 45 point inspection. Ask them what the 45 points are. Ask them how they determined the heater didn't work. Did they specifically charge you for cleaning it? Why isn't it clean? If after discussing it with them you are still not satisfied that you got what you paid for then ask for a refund of some of your money. Then if you are still not satisfied there is nothing left to do but drive your truck through the front of their building.
RBolton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 06:34 PM   #8
Commercial Member
1967 30' Sovereign
Los Lunas , New Mexico
You know, when we went to CW with questions about our rig years ago, we were treated like lepers for having such an old thing.

Middle finger.

WBCCI 21043
eubank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 06:41 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member
1962 22' Flying Cloud
Bend , Oregon
Don't settle for bad service!

I agree with RBolton! Don't settle for bad service, but start from a polite and reasonable approach. If what you say is true, it sounds like they did almost none of the work you were promised, and pointing it out one item at a time like RBolton suggests, will make that pretty obvious. If I was the service manager, I would be either be embarrassed or guilty, so I would cover my butt either way. If you don't get satisfaction from the service manager, ask to speak to the general manager. Don't back down! For $1000.00 you should have gotten a complete inspection, plus the heater repairs you mentioned.

If you can't get satisfaction from the service manager or the general manager, then once again,I agree with your truck through their building!! Actually ask to borrow your friends truck and drive it through the building!
FLYNCLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 06:53 PM   #10
Restorations done right
Commercial Member
1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
an honest man who does honest work is always honestly employed... remind them of that. Some people think short term, some think long term. It is often hard to find the honest ones among the short term thinkers.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 07:23 PM   #11
Rivet Master
1962 22' Safari
1957 22' Custom
Vacationland , Maine
Originally Posted by markdoane View Post
From your description, I expect they just made an honest mistake and gave that Holiday Rambler parked next to you a $1000 inspection.
Too funny! But probably true.
safari62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 07:42 PM   #12
Rivet Master
1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
We used to have a camping world about 10 minutes from my house. Buying items out of their parts department was fine. I got some really good deals. Well they started rearranging the store and making big changes. I asked them what was going on and they said they were upgrading the store and making changes. They asked me if I wanted to renew my presidents club membership. I asked them if they were planning to close the store. They said no they were not going anywhere. I paid my money and renewed my presidents club card for $60.00. Three weeks later they shut the store down and closed it for good. That really made me angry. Nothing like not being honest.

Brian & Adrienne
Lothlorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 07:46 PM   #13
Rivet Master
1999 23' Safari
Perrysburg , Ann Arbor
I repectfully disagree

with the notion that "I don't believe the folks at Camping World understand the nuances of Airstreams." ... at least in this context. While they might not understand the nuances, we're talking here about generic issues ... brakes, propane lines, furnace, etc. If they don't understand those, they've got no business working on trailers.

Last year, I had a bearing repack at local CW ... the tech was fast, efficient and quite knowledgeable. Also very happy to explain to me everything he was doing and how and why. I watched him every second, so I'd know what to do next time - and that was fine by him. And I was happy to pay for the experience, knowing that I had gotten EXACTLY what I'd asked for and was paying for. You deserve no less.

Some of this stuff like removing furnace to clean it, only to find mud dauber nests in it, smells of fraud. I'd go back and speak to service manager and be polite at first, but if I got nowhere, I'd raise my voice high enough for everyone in service department to hear (have done this several times in other circumstances, and it's amazing what store managers will agree to in order to have you quiet down and not drive away other customers) ... and if that didin't do the job, call your state Attorney General's fraud division and let them investigate ... take lots of pictures before you or anyone else fixes anything.

And next time, stay and WATCH them do the work!
AirsDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 08:08 PM   #14

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Camping World 2mi away closed....

Store good for parts w/on the road....

From WOM.. Service not so good....

AF #1

"Sticks & stones can break your bones...and hail will dent your Airstream"

So when is this..."old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote

argosy, camping world