Old 03-22-2009, 07:19 PM   #71
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Come on guys. I did not bring up the topic of seals to start a discussion on how, when, and why to change them. That is a good topic but for another thread.

I brought it up as a means for nick6930 to determine if Campers World had in fact done what they charged him for. They clearly did not test the appliances but that is not easily documented by the bill. If new seals are not on the bill Campers World could never defend, in front of knowledgeable individuals, their position that they repacked the bearings. We should be aiding nick in retrieving at least all monies charged for unfulfilled labor and better yet the complete bill.

Lets focus on that.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 07:23 PM   #72
2 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Crosby , Texas
Have something like your problem happen to me a couple of years ago when I first started RVing. The service manager told me that they had made all the repaires that I requested. As soon as I left the dealership I know things were not right. Brakes locked up etc. I went back and showed them that thing were not right and gave them a second chance to "get it right". Not a whole lot of improvemet the second time. I took my trailer to someone that knows brakes and had to have back plats, drumbs etc repaired. I went back to the first RV repair shop and showed them the bill to have the work do correctly and asked for my money back. When the owner over heard me talking with the Service Manager the owner refunded my repair chargers that they had charged me the first time. This proved two things to me, one, most Mom and PaPa opperation live on return busness and live on "word of mounth" for their lively hood and want to make it right. Second, went in doubt get someone else to take a look at your unit or go to Airstream forum and post the question and you will get all of the help you can stand, but it is almost all ways right. Get what you have paid for and do not except less.

dghaas WBCCI # 9279

Old 03-23-2009, 12:54 AM   #73
2 Rivet Member

1970 18' Caravel
Currently Looking...
Mulino , Oregon
Nick,
I hope you used a "real " credit card ( not a debit card) to pay for this "so called" service. If so , I suggest you formally dispute this charge before 60 days pass from the date of the charge with your credit card provider (the Federal fair credit act requires this in writing and I suggest this be via registered or certified mail, return receipt to show proof of delivery). Your letter must state the reason for the dispute ( services contracted or promised were not delivered) and request a full reversal of all charges. This will for sure make Camping World take notice and approach YOU to work out a solution, as all of a sudden they are not getting paid.

Sorry to say if your wrote a check, used a debit card, check, or paid cash, you are likely SOL as there is not equivalent protection to the best of my knowledge in most States. Your are then subject to your State's laws, which vary a lot.

FYI, I learned all of the from Clark Howard radio show many years ago, and it sure worked for me. Send a copy of your letter to the local manager (as a 'prepare for incoming' courtesy), and be sure to save copies of the original(s) forever. Good Luck;You will prevail!!
WLJ1943
Old 03-23-2009, 01:05 AM   #74
Rivet Master

1955 22' Flying Cloud
Boulder Creek , California
Seeing that Nick has not posted anything recently to express his continued displeasure with camping world, I think this thread has played itself out. Nick seems to be satisfied with the outcome as stated, even though some of us would disagree with the solution.
Nick, I hope this is the worst thing you ever have to go through with your trailer. I wish you many years of happy camping
Rich
Old 03-23-2009, 04:07 AM   #75
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
I think Rich is very right in what he said. Some times it is good to move on. Dwelling on it can make one continue to feel more and more the victim.

Nick, just know that there are folks out there willing to help in your future needs, and some of us have learned from your experience. Hopefully Camping World is one of them, for they have a few less customers now for sure.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 07:30 AM   #76
4 Rivet Member

1979 Argosy 27
1969 21' Globetrotter
1953 25' Cruiser
Front Royal , Virginia
Sorry that I have not wrote back sooner. I was flying back from the in-laws in Tucson. Alright, where to start? As far as the bearings go I have talked it over with the wife and I think that I am just going to replace the axles. They appear to be sagged anyway. I don't have any camping stuff or water in the her and they are in a negative position with about 3 inches from the wheel well. I think that I will go to the Cherry Blossom Festival and one other short trip and then put new ones on. This is why I decided not to push the issue. I feel that if they did the work they should be paid. Like I said earlier they said they did the work and I can't (don't know how to) disprove it. CW did charge me $38 for new seals from Car Quest. Now if they used them is another story. I do plan on tearing them a part when I get the new axles to see if they did or did not do the work.

I look at this whole CW thing as a learning experience. I should not have gone in to it blind and I should have done some research before taking it there. Yes I am out of some money, but at least I got the $250 back that I was most upset about. Should I have requested the full $509 back? The answer is yes, but I didn't. I personally felt that the amount was adequate. I think that I said it earlier or at least I thought it. "I would be content with $250 and I would have been happy if it was $509."

When it comes down to it, I bought the trailer to relax and enjoy my free time. I did not intend to argue with managers about money and the he said she said thing. The whole thing was keeping me up at night and for what? Work is stressful enough I just want to relax when I am home.

I can honestly say the greatest satisfaction is seeing the view counter increase everyday. I know my small dollar amount meant nothing to them but with thousands of people viewing this, I think that will mean more. My hope is that this post will get 5000 hits in the coming months. I feel that with that many views a certain percentage will think twice before spending their money there. I am not saying not to spend their money there, just think twice. As I have read here I am not the only one that had issues, so maybe the corporate side will take note and change the way the do business and give people what they paid for.

I look forward to talking with all of you again on more enjoyable and fun topics. If anyone is going to CBR I look forward to shaking your hand and thank you for all the great info and support. I am learning a lot more than just trailers.

Nick
Old 03-24-2009, 08:22 AM   #77
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Nick, I will have a cold one for you.... see you there.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 08:49 AM   #78
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
See you there.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 08:57 AM   #79
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1955 22' Safari
Great Lake State , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post
See you there.
Howie

Just checked out your Kayak, unbelievable, beautiful, a master wood worker indeed.

toastie
Old 03-24-2009, 09:41 AM   #80
Full Timers/Diesel power.

1983 31' Airstream310
Cactus Hug , Arizona
We were at a CW next to a mo/ho that had electrical problems. I watched the tech with his volt-ohm meter; he had no clue what he was doing and I bet the client paid for his goofing around.
Old 03-24-2009, 10:11 AM   #81
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Leary View Post
We were at a CW next to a mo/ho that had electrical problems. I watched the tech with his volt-ohm meter; he had no clue what he was doing and I bet the client paid for his goofing around.
We all to many times pay for things we didn't get or ask for. Cars, trucks, RV's.

Incompetence College, has tons of graduates. Those graduates are also underpaid. Just ask them.

It's best that if you do not know the shop, then stand by as they are doing (or attempting) the work.

Airstream dealers and shops are watched by Airstream. If they are out of line and/or incompetent, they become history.

Andy
Old 03-24-2009, 03:04 PM   #82
Full Timers/Diesel power.

1983 31' Airstream310
Cactus Hug , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
Airstream dealers and shops are watched by Airstream. If they are out of line and/or incompetent, they become history.
We used to make the trip from Seattle to Boise to have the coach serviced, sure do miss them.
Old 03-24-2009, 04:02 PM   #83
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1955 22' Safari
Great Lake State , .
Camping World installed a air conditioner on my 65 Caravel, they cut a 14 X 14 hole, wired it, installed drip pan, ran a drip tube, and everything went perfect, of course the tech was an expert, and has done a few installs.

Toastie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cw.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	77401  
Old 09-01-2011, 08:00 PM   #84

Currently Looking...
Brewster , New York
I fully understand what the issues are you are having with campers world, they do not have a good reputation when it comes to their service dept, like the services you requested. being an disabled tech (not an RV tech) but and auto/truck tech, the service given to people is VERY BAD! How do you know where to go and be treaded well, ask around weather on this forum or at camp ground or goggle it. As for what they did i would go back and confront they about this,as it was not right and in NY it is not legal. If the dealer refused to man up contact the better business, and the states attorney general and let them help you out with some kind of satisfaction for your money spent.
Good luck and happy camping

Tags
argosy, camping world