Old 03-12-2009, 04:47 PM   #43
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick6930 View Post

The reason I took it to Camping World was to learn about the trailer, which I did, the guy talked me through how to operate the appliances.

The reason I posted was because I wanted to know if I had a valid complaint or if it was common knowledge not to expect too much.

Camping World has contacted me because of this thread offering to have the manager to contact me and I will call them this afternoon. I will keep you all posted with what they say.

Nick
Nick, Looks like you got some of what you wanted, that is to learn about the trailer. Depending on the time involved and their charges, you can compute what that was worth. As for the rest, I'd ask to go through everything and find out what was really done. That way you can figure out what has to be done, or what money has to be refunded. This can be difficult, such as whether the wheel bearings were really repacked, whether the seals were replaced, the brakes adjusted. Given the manager is concerned about this thread, you have a lot of leverage.

I think you have found both that you have a valid complaint and expectations of CW are low.

Glad to see CW follows these threads and will respond.

From what I can gather, the QC and service standards of the industry as a whole are not too high, but prices are. It is different than the auto industry, which while hardly perfect, does have higher standards. I'm not sure why RV owners put up with this, but it seems a lot of people on this Forum don't, so maybe we are changing things. There are a lot of posts on the Forum about CW—they are of two kinds—high, very high prices, and poor Airstream service. CW, or at least this dealer, is aware of this. Perhaps the fact Thor has loaned them $20,000,000 has awakened them. The recession has also affected them—I get almost daily e-mails from them (I once tried to unsubscribe, but it didn't work) and it is a constant stream of "discounts" and please, please rejoin the President's Club. On the other hand, kposey has had a good experience at his local CW. There are good and bad in any group, but figuring it out can be frustrating.

Getting good service on an Airstream is a chore. Many people are untrusting of their nearby Airstream dealers and go to a select few or the factory, even driving 1,000's of miles. Other learn how to fix things themselves. Some go to other RV shops. Many dealers and shops, are closing. More than ever we need to know who to trust and who not to.

Many websites offer reviews of products and companies. Shouldn't the Forum do this? Reviews can be tricky. I saw a post on Trip Advisor once saying that she never believed any review of a lodging posted by a New Yorker because they complain all the time. I don't agree with that standard (I think New Yorkers are more discriminating, possibly because I grew up there), but it is important to sort out reviews to make sense of them and get some reality.

Good luck with CW. If the manager doesn't give you what you are entitled to, the next step is a letter to the president or CEO of the company. After that, it can be unpleasant for everyone.

Gene

Old 03-18-2009, 08:15 PM   #44
4 Rivet Member

1979 Argosy 27
1969 21' Globetrotter
1953 25' Cruiser
Front Royal , Virginia
Still waiting to hear from the Manager from Camping world. I talk to him several times and he constantly has to talk to the district manager to make any decisions. So it has been really drawn out to make a simple solution to refund $250.00. I will fill everyone in on the whole story once they make their decision. I hope to have this whole thing over very soon.

Nick

Old 03-18-2009, 08:50 PM   #45
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Camping World

Camping World is famous for their deals on parts.

They are also famous for "far less than acceptable" repairs, according to all to many Airstream owners.

Some of our customers who needed even small repairs, have made that known to us.

Fraud is fraud, no matter how you slice it.

Andy
Old 03-19-2009, 08:19 AM   #46
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I doubt very seriously that the comments made that started this thread are inaccurate where one would need to hear CW's part of the story. There are far too many cases of Streamers going to CW and getting a raw deal. This one is just about the worst I have heard. A further testament to the oddities of CW is that the thread originator talked to the mgr on the 11th or 12th of March. It is now the 19th and as of yesterday this customer complaint has yet to be solved. I understand these can take time, but if their chain of command is that poor where it takes 7+ days for an answer, that is not very customer focused and frankly further supports what the thread starter and so many other folks that own Airstreams have exp from CW-- poor service. They didn't take 7+ days to accept payment did they?

Why do you think Thor gave CW another loan? Things are not good at CW and if the econ does not get better quick, I would guess a bankruptcy filing and/or more store closings are in the company's future. These episdoes are not isolated and are not as uncommon as one might think. Even before this, I wouldn't bring a go-kart to CW, let alone my $40k Airstream.
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 12:13 PM   #47
4 Rivet Member

1979 Argosy 27
1969 21' Globetrotter
1953 25' Cruiser
Front Royal , Virginia
I never want anyone to say that I exaggerated the situation. In fact I tend to doubt myself and give the other persons perspective the benefit of the doubt. So I found the actual invoice and I did mis-state the price paid. (I will not list everything because I don't think the forums wants that, but generally.) I stated "I paid over $1000" but after review that was including merchandise. The price from the mechanic side was $750 and the part that I had true question with was $509.00.

OK, a final resolution was obtained yesterday. The manager called and informed me that the District Manager authorized the refund of $250 and I should receive the check in 2 weeks. I am very glad that part is over. I was impressed with the fact that the Corporate level monitors chatter about their company. I realize that most likely it is a service that emails them alerts that key words have appeared on the Internet. At least that is how my wifes company works. Some company's follow up and other do not.

The District manager contacted me at home before I even gave the corporate office my personal info. I guess that it is not that hard to figure out who with a 79 Argosy went to a CW in Virginia. The District Manager was very pleasant on the phone. He requested that I deal directly with the local store manager and take the Argosy back to the store. The local manager was a little more difficult to deal with. He admitted they should have connected the brake wire and he would have it done if I brought it back. I informed him that was not my only complaint, so I articulated my complaints. He response was if I brought it back he would fix the wire. (Do you start seeing a circle going on.) The rest of the conversation was up and down from there.

I was never angry about the situation just very disappointed. However, after this conversation I became angry and told them flat out it was pointless to bring it back to re-re-check the items that I re-checked, that they should have done the first time. I did find out somethings that were interesting. In fact I had to ask the manager to repeat himself several times so that I could write it down.

Per the manager:

1. Packing the bearings is just that nothing else. They do not adjust the brakes or inspect the brakes while performing a packing.
2. "Servicing of an appliance" like the hot water or furnace means they attempt to turn it on. They do not remove or clean the item. (What??? I only hope that he was trying to cover up for his employees and did not mean this even though I asked several times for him to repeat it because I could not believe this. Why would I spend $100 to have someone to turn it on. I must have really misunderstood this.)

I never wanted a refund for more than the services that I did not receive. Though I feel I should have requested the full amount refunded I felt funny about that. I could not prove or disprove the bearings were completed, because I do not know how to do that. So since they charge over $200 for that I agreed that I would pay for that. I also believe they spent about 1/2 hour checking the easy stuff on the trailer, so I felt $50 was plenty for that. So that is how I came up with requesting $250.00.

I plan on bogging about my whole Argosy life and will tell the full story in detail someday. I honestly believe I did not leave anything out that would put CW in a bad light. In fact I did not tell about the items that lead to my suspicions from the start.

In conclusion I would like to say that I will continue to look at CW.com for items, I would go to a CW other than my local, but I would never have something serviced there. Not because that are bad company or my local is a bad place it is simply the fact that I now believe vintage Airstream/Argosy's need to be worked on people that knows them and who are not prejudicial toward them.

I thank Camping World for my refund and wish them success in the future. I would also like to thank everyone for their support.

Nick
Old 03-20-2009, 12:20 PM   #48
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Well I for one am glad you got the resolution you were wanting. It may have taken awhile, but it worked out in the long run.

Steve
Old 03-20-2009, 12:26 PM   #49
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Nick, I am glad you have reached a resolution. You've done better (so far) than I have done so far with a dealer about damage to my trailer, but every company handles things differently. I hope CW is getting the message about poor service and high prices.

I get sales e-mails from CW every couple of days. The offer to rejoin the President's Club is now down to $12. I think the money they get from joining their club is minor compared to the business they would generate by actually having reasonable prices. They seem to operate from an economy of scarcity standpoint.

Gene
Old 03-20-2009, 01:02 PM   #50
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
CW repairs

Nick.

When CW packed the bearings, did they replace the grease seals?

If not, it would be wise to do that.

You might find another unpleasant surprise.

Hopefully not, but........your safety could be at risk.

Andy
Old 03-20-2009, 02:50 PM   #51
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Nick,
I learned a long time ago that the way to show a company how you feel is with your wallet. If they did not treat you right, you should never give them a penny ever. If enough people do this they soon will be out of business. I do not have a camping world near me, but I can tell you that because of your treatment, I will never spend my money there. All those parts they sell are available through other sources. Some of them that actually care about their customers. Please PM if you need to know who they are. Also there are Airstream and vintage dedicated companies out there more than willing to help you out.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 04:58 PM   #52
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
I'll echo Frank here a bit too... I USED to use CW (even was a President's club member), but soon found that the "enticing" specials were just teasers... most everything else was at close to retail prices... so I shopped around and found a wonderful mom/pop store close by (Evergreen RV Supply in Lynnwood for those in the Seattle area). VERY honest service, reasonable prices, good advice.

Supporting the little guy....
Marc
Old 03-20-2009, 10:23 PM   #53
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 24
Collierville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander View Post
Nick,
I learned a long time ago that the way to show a company how you feel is with your wallet. If they did not treat you right, you should never give them a penny ever. If enough people do this they soon will be out of business. I do not have a camping world near me, but I can tell you that because of your treatment, I will never spend my money there. All those parts they sell are available through other sources. Some of them that actually care about their customers. Please PM if you need to know who they are. Also there are Airstream and vintage dedicated companies out there more than willing to help you out.

This is definitely something we agree on Frank. I've "boycotted" many a business because of bad service and uncaring attitudes. Never have the mentality that just one customer's patronage won't make a difference to some big company. Kick apathy in the keister and always demand what is right.

I never learned from a man who agreed with me.
Heinlein
mrmossyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 03:32 PM   #54
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
Nick, Andy's (inland RV) comments about the wheel seals should be looked into, IMHO...

If they only repacked the wheel bearings and didn't replace the wheel seals (a $5-10 item), depending on how old the seals are, should probably be looked into...did they bill you for new seals on your invoice? If not, they then probably didn't replace em'!

Any quality service facility would replace the seals, if only to cover their 'butts' to prevent a 'come-back' due to a leak...also it's just good sense to replace em' since you've got the hubs off anyway.

Wheel bearings and seals are rather 'cheap' items, and they should have cleaned the old grease (washed in solvent) out of the bearing cones to inspect them for pits and wear, etc...also they should have wiped the old grease out of the bearing cones that are pressed into the hub/drum to see if there was any wear patterns on their surface...any sign of wear would be cause to have them replaced...and easy job.

Sorry to raise these issues, in view of your 'negative' experiences with your local CW shop...I'm afraid I wouldn't trust them and would have someone else take a look...you can then get the brakes looked at and adjusted properly at the same time...AND those seals replaced!

Too bad you're not closer - we could get together and knock that job out in our parking lot, and you could buy the 'beer' after we're done! You just use blocks to support the front axle while working on the rear, then block the rear and do the front! It's good to get your hands greasy once in a while at home! It's not so fun while you're on the road...

Ray in Stockton, CA
Old 03-21-2009, 04:28 PM   #55
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Per the manager:

1. Packing the bearings is just that nothing else. They do not adjust the brakes or inspect the brakes while performing a packing.
2. "Servicing of an appliance" like the hot water or furnace means they attempt to turn it on. They do not remove or clean the item. (What??? I only hope that he was trying to cover up for his employees and did not mean this even though I asked several times for him to repeat it because I could not believe this. Why would I spend $100 to have someone to turn it on. I must have really misunderstood this.)

Not adjusting the brakes while repacking the bearings is like the school nurse cleaning off the dirt on your hands from a fall in the play ground and not treating the broken bone sticking out of your arm. First off they most likely have to reduce the star wheel on the brakes to even get the drum off to repack the inner bearing. Having done that no mechanic worth his salt would just put the drums back on and walk away. Oh as for inspecting the brake shoes that is just looking at them and making a value judgment, no time, no tools, no effort.

As noted by others. If they did not replace the seals while repacking the bearings you may have problems shortly as the old seals will leak and grease will get on the brake shoes.

Campers World got off easy if you agreed to a $250.00 refund. They still owe you the balance of the repair work if for no other reason than the just for the lie about the necessary work they don't do when repacking the bearings.

If you paid with a credit card I would stop payment on the charge all together.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 05:07 PM   #56
Full Timers/Diesel power.

1983 31' Airstream310
Cactus Hug , Arizona
They bite; we tried them once and they screwed it up.

Tags
argosy, camping world