Old 11-26-2012, 10:09 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Fairbanks , Alaska
Unreal Repair Quote...Airstream Interstate

Well..a few weeks ago we were forced to park our Airstreams (I have a classic 1989 345LE and my father and his wife have a 2012 Interstate)

As I pulled out - it seems my rear bumper hit one of the bottom panels on the passenger side by where the door slides open -- the mechanism etc. all is fine.

What is crazy - is that the place they took it to for an estimate -- in Dallas -- is asking for $3600 + ...claiming some 1200 in parts and paint, and 20 hours worth of work. I think they are trying to take my dad for an idiot.

They will be getting a second estimate in Florida (Davie County) and will get it fixed down there or on the way -- Anyone know of anyone in the Florida/Miami Dade/Davie counties that could:
a) Give us a rough estimate based on the attached pictures?
b) Comes recommended by you guys?

I mean, don't you think $3600 is completely insane?????? I remember I once flipped a wrangler and it cost about 8K to fix the whole darn thing.

Whats going on??

Thank you for any response, ideas etc. SYDTR

Chris
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0923.JPG
Views:	99
Size:	111.6 KB
ID:	173352   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0920.JPG
Views:	94
Size:	133.1 KB
ID:	173353  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0921.JPG
Views:	92
Size:	81.4 KB
ID:	173354   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0922.JPG
Views:	104
Size:	140.6 KB
ID:	173355  

Visit my new Airstream renovation blog here:
http://www.AirstreamLoft.com

gypsychris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 10:11 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

Fairbanks , Alaska
Oh -- and off course feel free to PM me :-)

Visit my new Airstream renovation blog here:
http://www.AirstreamLoft.com

gypsychris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 10:25 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
The Airstream repair situation in Florida during winter is dismal at best. I would look harder and try to get it fixed in Texas now rather than dealing with the snowbird situation in Florida.
Old 11-26-2012, 04:33 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Doug says----body work is expensive. Period.

We have had body work done on our Interstate, at a trusted local body shop. Always rather pricey.

One of the reasons is that the Interstate will not fit inside the body shop and parts have to be removed to be taken into the paint booth, painted, then reinstalled.

If panels have to be replaced, that is not inexpensive. And, they don't come painted, that is done at the body shop.

Looks, too, like there are two panels involved.

May be worth making a claim on their insurance.

Maggie
Old 11-26-2012, 05:28 PM   #5
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychris View Post
What is crazy - is that the place they took it to for an estimate -- in Dallas -- is asking for $3600 + ...claiming some 1200 in parts and paint, and 20 hours worth of work. I think they are trying to take my dad for an idiot.

I mean, don't you think $3600 is completely insane??????
Not insane at all.

1 - If the parts are Mercedes Benz parts, they come off the same assembly line in Dusseldorf as the original Sprinter van, and there's no other source than being imported by Mercedes Benz.
2 - If the parts are Airstream add-ons, they come from Jackson Center, and there's no other source there, either.

So, $1200 for parts is not at all unreasonable.

Twnety hours to dismount and disassemble, replace parts, partially reassemble, paint, then complete reassembly and remount, not at all unreasonable. $120 per hour for labor, right in line with what most body shops charge.

You may actually get a better price taking it to a Mercedes Sprinter dealer for the repair work. Or it may cost more; hard to say. Definitely worth asking, though. According to The 2013 Sprinter Van. Built to Work Smarter., (stupid web page renamed the MB Sprinter USA link) there are two Sprinter dealers in Dallas/Ft. Worth; Park Place Motorcars in Grapevine, TX, and Euing Autohaus in Plano, TX.

In the Miami area, there's Mercedes Benz of Cutler Bay, and Mercedes Benz of Miami.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 05:29 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 16' International
Jamestown , Rhode Island
Good body work is always more expensive than people realize. If you have a bodyshop that will work to high standards, pay them! Most damage like this is never fixed correctly and the vehicle suffers in the long run....
Just my $0.02.
Bruce
Old 11-26-2012, 05:48 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy 24
Currently Looking...
Milltown , Wisconsin
Auto paint can cost over $500 a gallon, the paint suppliers always blame the EPA.
Old 11-26-2012, 07:04 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1977 23' Safari
Niagara on the Lake , Ontario
For me $3600 is far too expensive for that repair, but many shops can get away with charging that much. I worked my way through my first University degree in an autobody shop and would fix that myself, but most people wouldn't even know where to begin and body shops know that.

Remember you're driving a Mercedes, parts are expensive and shops will assume you have the money for the very best and most expensive repair. Many shops will not repair anything anymore and will only replace with new parts, and some customers think that replacement is the only way to do a proper repair, that is simply not the case.

A properly experienced body man would repair the dent in the door, the quarterpanel wheel opening trim damage can be repaired with sandpaper and alittle plastic filler (filler made for plastic parts, not bondo). The only potential problem is the large trim peice which could be expensive. If I were making the repair I would try to work the trim back in to shape with a heat gun and then reinstall.

$120 per hour would be near the top for body work in my area, and anyone who spent more than 8 hours fixing that doesn't know what they're doing.
Even at $500 per gallon for paint, that repair would take about a pint of paint so don't be fooled in to thinking this is a major cost.

Shop around, there are lots of shops looking for work that should be able to cut that quote way down.
AldeanFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 07:12 PM   #9
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
Or leave it till you make a Mexico trip??

Dave
Old 11-26-2012, 07:22 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2000 19' Bambi
mt. Prospect , Illinois
You could try Maaco or one of the other bargain body and paint shops. They may bump it out, smear it with bondo, and paint it so that it's close to matching, for half of that. You'll be reminded every time that you see it.
Old 11-26-2012, 08:22 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
No Davie County in Florida that I am aware of. Down here in Miami, there is a dearth of RV repair facilities (at least any that I would take a Sprinter to).

Mercedes Benz of Cutler Bay has a decent rep but where are your folks planning to hold up while the rig is in the shop?

If they have their hearts set on getting this fixed in Florida, I think they might want to talk to JD Sanders in Alachua. Good people.

Mike
Old 11-26-2012, 08:38 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by robert claus View Post
You could try Maaco or one of the other bargain body and paint shops. They may bump it out, smear it with bondo, and paint it so that it's close to matching, for half of that. You'll be reminded every time that you see it.
I've used the Maaco shop local to me in Ottawa for a number of years. They have always done good work for me. In fact, they now are contracted to do the Nissan body work for one of the Nissan dealers.

When it comes to the actual paint job at any body shop, it is the very few that can actually do a finish that actually looks like a Mercedes high-end's factory finish. The average person wouldn't notice that difference.
1999 Dodge Ram 2500HD Diesel
blkmagikca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 11:57 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2006 22' International CCD
2007 Base Camp
Elk Valley , British Columbia
Although it seems high - I agree with the estimate. I dented the side of my Tacoma and $1200 was a good deal to get it repaired. Removing and repairing doors is expensive... you have to gut the whole thing, replace the skin, reassemble, and paint. You can't order the entire door assembly... so unless you could find one at a salvage yard that matched...

Same thing with end-gates for trucks... the factory replacement is just the shell... you have to R&R the guts...
Old 11-27-2012, 05:24 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
You don't need an RV repair shop for this, it's an Interstate.

I wouldn't waste time looking for an RV dealer to do body work.

Maggie