Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-17-2012, 08:33 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
Umbilical cord questions

I was looking at the trailer umbilical cord the other day and it is still serviceable but looking a bit shabby.
I noticed that many 70's trailers had a connection point on the front panel just behind the LP bottles.
I like the idea of protecting the cord from the weather.
Is it worth doing something like this?
Is having another connection point a place to gain more resistance, specifically in the electric brake wire?
I'm going to have the inner panel off of my trailer for some other maintenance in the near future so I will access to the wiring.
I found two threads that speak to this issue.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f37/...ons-63044.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f37/...tor-48969.html

Is it worth going to the round shaped 7 pin connector on the trailer and tow vehicle?
Hensley Arrow hitch with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 08:54 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
The original Signal Stat 7 wire round pin connector is a good one, but I would agree that the double plug system used in the 70's adds more resistance to the circuits. I am not sure that it is significant, other than the charge line, which always is a problem to get enough current through to charge while towing.

I stayed with the 7 wire round connector for as long as possible, but finally, in the interest of being able to plug into the already supplied connectors on new tow vehicles, went to the 7 wire flat plug/socket system. If you get the ones with the brass pins, it seems to work well enough. I find it is a wear item, like tires, and replace mine every 6 to 8 years. You can get cords for about $40 at RV supply stores which have molded on ends and they are nice. Again, look for brass pins, not plated steel ones which are very common.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote