Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-17-2014, 02:07 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Black Diamond , Washington
Uknown Leak

I have completely sealed my AS except for this one spot. It keeps leaking heavily above the kitchen stove and window (see picture). I have sealed above the window, the stove vent, and any seams and rivets I could find in the general area near or above. I also sealed where the air conditioner meets the skin. I have not even been able to make a dent in this leak. Has anyone else experienced this leak? I have tried and failed to track this down so now I reach out to you guys.
Could this be coming from the air conditioner? Have I missed something when I sealed the stove vent?
Thanks!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-04-17 10.28.29.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	194.8 KB
ID:	209855  
mariusg78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 02:27 PM   #2
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
You may find as I sometimes have that it is necessary to remove the air conditioner to find out what's going on.
Old 04-17-2014, 03:46 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariusg78 View Post
I have completely sealed my AS except for this one spot. It keeps leaking heavily above the kitchen stove and window (see picture). I have sealed above the window, the stove vent, and any seams and rivets I could find in the general area near or above. I also sealed where the air conditioner meets the skin. I have not even been able to make a dent in this leak. Has anyone else experienced this leak? I have tried and failed to track this down so now I reach out to you guys.
Could this be coming from the air conditioner? Have I missed something when I sealed the stove vent?
Thanks!!
Could be from a sewer vent pipe cover.

Those gaskets only last 2 to 3 years.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 03:56 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
This may be a long shot, but something to address if you haven't already. Your plumbing vent stacks are probably not too far from this area. If you haven't rebuilt them and put in fresh rubber gaskets, it could be that they are leaking like mad. IF they are the originals, then they are definitely leaking like mad, and you just aren't noticing the water because is puddling at the base of the inside of your wall.
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 06:49 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
I figured that might be a source. I did purchase new gaskets and will replace them once it stops raining. Thanks for the tips. I will re-post once I do that and let you know if it works!
Old 04-17-2014, 06:57 PM   #6
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Remember that the AS has horizontal stringers that will allow water to travel too...

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 08:55 PM   #7
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
Could be from a sewer vent pipe cover.

Those gaskets only last 2 to 3 years.

Andy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belegedhel View Post
This may be a long shot, but something to address if you haven't already. Your plumbing vent stacks are probably not too far from this area. If you haven't rebuilt them and put in fresh rubber gaskets, it could be that they are leaking like mad. IF they are the originals, then they are definitely leaking like mad, and you just aren't noticing the water because is puddling at the base of the inside of your wall.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariusg78 View Post
I figured that might be a source. I did purchase new gaskets and will replace them once it stops raining. Thanks for the tips. I will re-post once I do that and let you know if it works!
Here is the culprit you are looking for. There are three on the roof, the one to start with in your case is over the galley.

They look nice, once cleaned and slathered with too much Vulkem.

But you'll be surprised how much guck they can hold. Here is the gasket you will replace:

There is also a small piece of screen in the 'kits' that are sold to do this. Make sure the screen protrudes above the top of the hole, otherwise it can allow leaves and squirrel recycling to plug get into the pipe
Old 04-18-2014, 10:49 AM   #8
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
Here is the culprit you are looking for. There are three on the roof, the one to start with in your case is over the galley.

I think you may have covered the weep vents in the bottom of the metal cap there... Gotta have somewhere for the water that gets in between the stack and the cover to go.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Old 04-18-2014, 11:15 AM   #9
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
I think you may have covered the weep vents in the bottom of the metal cap there... Gotta have somewhere for the water that gets in between the stack and the cover to go.

Aaron
Good thought, Aaron. I did that work waaay back when Henri was new to me, so while I don't remember any weeping holes, it IS logical that they be there.

I plan on re-doing them this summer, so I made myself a note to remember to leave the weeping holes open, and pull the screen up to deflect leaves.

Thanks!
Old 04-18-2014, 02:23 PM   #10
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Quote:
Good thought, Aaron. I did that work waaay back when Henri was new to me, so while I don't remember any weeping holes, it IS logical that they be there.

I plan on re-doing them this summer, so I made myself a note to remember to leave the weeping holes open, and pull the screen up to deflect leaves.

Thanks!
FWIW I use EPDM (black rubber roofing) it lasts a fair bit longer than the regular black rubber gasket materials, 5 years and counting. The EPDM has a variety of UV blockers made into it to provide some longevity as a roof material. I will be inspecting mine again soon and can provide the 6 year update.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Old 04-18-2014, 03:51 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Where do you buy EPDM in small quantities?
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 03:57 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
VTS has a fully covered vent stack that does not have this problem. I just put some Trempro-635 around that vent pipe and put the Tee-Pee back on and it is still leak free after 2 yrs. I will probably modify the Tee-Pee by putting some sort of top hat on it and then the inner gasket does not matter.

Also it could still be your stove vent. Mine had a crappy flap door that would sometimes leak and sometimes not leak. The vents with the scoop on the outside don't have this problem. I cpvered the vent with a solid plate till I get a chance to make a scoop for mine.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 04:00 PM   #13
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belegedhel View Post
Where do you buy EPDM in small quantities?
Ask any commercial roofer, they probably will have plenty of small scraps they would be glad to give you. You could also ask a commercial roofing supply for some samples. You only need a 6"x6" piece for each one.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Old 04-18-2014, 05:15 PM   #14
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:

But you'll be surprised how much guck they can hold. Here is the gasket you will replace:

There is also a small piece of screen in the 'kits' that are sold to do this. Make sure the screen protrudes above the top of the hole, otherwise it can allow leaves and squirrel recycling to plug get into the pipe
It is "not" necessary to seal the metal vent cover.

The gasket takes care of that.

Andy
Old 04-18-2014, 06:20 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
The gasket is crap Andy. One made of silicone would be better because it won't rot. Viton might be ok as well. This would work. The best solution would be to weld a top hat shaped pipe nipple on top of the Tee-Pee that fits down inside the vent pipe. Then use caulk to seal the Tee-Pee to the roof.

https://www.mcmaster.com/#5787t33/=rlh7cg

Perry
Old 04-18-2014, 08:06 PM   #16
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by perryg114 View Post
The gasket is crap Andy. One made of silicone would be better because it won't rot. Viton might be ok as well. This would work. The best solution would be to weld a top hat shaped pipe nipple on top of the Tee-Pee that fits down inside the vent pipe. Then use caulk to seal the Tee-Pee to the roof.

https://www.mcmaster.com/#5787t33/=rlh7cg

Perry
Perry.

I totally agree with you, but the above photo clearly shows that the gasket did in fact seal the base of the cover so that it did not leak as well.

That being the case, slopping a bunch of sealer around the base of the cover, is not necessary.

Andy
Old 04-18-2014, 08:44 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Replaced the gasket today. Will update and see if it stops the leak. I think it's supposed to rain this weekend, surprise surprise. Thanks for all the great tips!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Airstream Forums mobile app
Old 04-18-2014, 09:41 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
You could be right about the gasket sealing without the caulk around it. I would consider getting some of the silicone material and try that. You could corner the market on it. Your minions could punch a hole in that flat stock and cut it to the correct shape. They use Silicone and Viton on the space station. We did loose a shuttle to the Viton O-rings though.

Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
Perry.

I totally agree with you, but the above photo clearly shows that the gasket did in fact seal the base of the cover so that it did not leak as well.

That being the case, slopping a bunch of sealer around the base of the cover, is not necessary.

Andy
Old 04-19-2014, 03:10 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Moultrie , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by perryg114 View Post
VTS has a fully covered vent stack that does not have this problem. I just put some Trempro-635 around that vent pipe and put the Tee-Pee back on and it is still leak free after 2 yrs. I will probably modify the Tee-Pee by putting some sort of top hat on it and then the inner gasket does not matter.

Also it could still be your stove vent. Mine had a crappy flap door that would sometimes leak and sometimes not leak. The vents with the scoop on the outside don't have this problem. I cpvered the vent with a solid plate till I get a chance to make a scoop for mine.

Perry

What are you making all this with? Welding your own metals?
GAStreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 03:40 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
I have a network of friends that help me make stuff. I can do a fair amount myself. Local welding shops can weld just about anything. Lack of time is my biggest problem. My job gives me access to resources most folks don't have.

Perry