Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-15-2016, 10:16 AM   #1
Old Sailor

1983 34' Excella
Victoria , Texas
Two questions and a tip of the hat

Tip of the hat first: To the nice person who turned me on to CitriStrip. That stuff is great. However, it led to my first question.

First question: The center curved panel on the right rear of my Excella was replaced at some time. It was a nice repair job but the clear coat peeled off in big strips before I got the trailer. It also had a shine unlike the satin finish on the rest of the trailer. I used the CitriStrip to get the remaining clear coat off. It left ghost shadows in the metal that only some heavy duty polishing with Mothers Aluminum Polish removed. Now, I have a beautiful shiny panel on a satin finish trailer. How in the world do I make it look like the rest of the trailer. I have serious reservations about Aluminum paint.

Second question: Should be an easy one for anyone who has done it before. I'm replacing the blue vinyl striping around the trailer and need to know how the raised A I R S T R E A M letters below the rear window are mounted. Are they riveted, glued or what? I can't see any rivets holding them on but that doesn't mean they aren't there. I know I can buy replacement letters but would like to reuse what I have if possible.

Many thanks. I've learned a lot here and appreciate the help.
"Mollie Bug" The Boston Terrier
WBCCI #4456 - Born to Cruise
McArthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 10:38 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1973 31' Excella 500
Vicksburg , Mississippi
1. You could always do the rest of the trailer with mother's to match.

2. On mine the letters have threaded studs on back and a little nut holds them on. Then it's slathered with sealant. The interior end cap has to be removed or somehow gain access to behind it.
Al Boondy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 10:42 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
CitriStrip is awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by McArthur View Post
Now, I have a beautiful shiny panel on a satin finish trailer. How in the world do I make it look like the rest of the trailer.
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but the panels won't match unless you polish the entire trailer. The original panels have a "mill finish" and it sounds like the replacement panel may not or it has been polished away. If the clear coat has been stripped off, that panel will oxidize and not be so shiny in a couple of years - but it'll never "match" the other panels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McArthur View Post
...need to know how the raised A I R S T R E A M letters below the rear window are mounted. Are they riveted, glued or what?
I believe the letters have press-fit (or threaded?) stems that go into holes in the aluminum. They can't easily be removed without access to the back of the panel without breaking off the stems. If you do remove them, they can be re-installed using a epoxy glue or heavy-duty double stick tape.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote