Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-13-2008, 07:26 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1999 28' Excella
Frederick , Maryland
Trim Limbs, Hail, Nuts etc.....

We are thinking about purchasing our first Airstream. Came close 5 years ago before we purchased our current SOB.

One of my main concerns about owning an Airstream is that we camp a lot on wooded campsites. My SOB as taken a number of good wacks on the roof without damage from tree limbs over the years. A number of times I cringed, but so far no damage (rapidly knocking on wood at this time). Of course there is always nuts and hail such as on our last trip.

So my question is, and I have not really gotten a good feel for in it searching the sites, how much do I have to worry about small to moderate tree limbs, nuts and hail doing damage to the AS (say as compared to the typical SOB, which many of you may of owned in years past). I would love to have an AS but don't want to lay awake at night every time the wind is blowing worrying about the roof . I know I will get a few beauty marks over time, that is ineveitable, but will it hold up to "abuse" as well as my Jayco?

Thanks
AM Solar Panels 150W - 2 Trojan T 105 6V Batteries

KC3MAP

On internet forums, please research and separate the wheat from the chaff (including mine!)
Soyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 07:35 PM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
We get small branches and acorns bouncing off the roof almost constantly, I haven't seen a dent yet from them.
Of course, anything can cause damage to anything it it is big enough, or hits hard enough...
Old 09-13-2008, 07:47 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1999 23' Safari
Perrysburg , Ann Arbor
Small branches and acorns and such aren't much of an issue ... the definition of "small" being critical here. But hail is another matter. If you do a search of the forums for "hail" you will find a lot of discussion and quite a few photos of hail induced damage and repair. Just like farmers with crops ready to harvest, all RVers I know hate hail, and Airstreamers perhaps more than most!

But I certainly have no way to compare the impact resistance of a Jayco vs. an Airstream. In fact, I'm now hoping you come over from the "Dark Side" and in a year or two give us an informed report!
AirsDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 07:48 PM   #4
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
There is always the possibility of more than "beauty marks" as you have written, but the ownership of something fine -- a machine in this instance -- is one which reflects the owners type or sensibility of caring for the machine. From the type of use one might expect certain sorts of fading, weathering as the norm. The difference between one owner and another is simply the maintenance and repairs.

If one ever sees a Hollywood star in person it is a bit of surprise to see how often they are short, or have large heads, or, worse, that the plastic surgery supplemented by make-up and lighting that are missing in ordinary life leaves them grotesque. Yet, the performances given -- if they are good -- transcends that outward appearance.

In the same way, one sees architect designed and furnished homes changed by subsequent owners not always for the better; one realizes that they had not the eyes to see what was original in conception. And even among appreciative owners, changes appear over time.

These changes are merely indicative of use. Of the places the machine has been. Repairs are not always well-advised, they may accentuate the "problem" rather than hiding it. Dents, scratches and the like can, with an Airstream, eventually be worked out if they present a problem.

But to other people, the ones we like to like, (and so forth), those marks are as distinguishing as a well-worn hat.

Don't forget, that in a see of shiny aluminum it isn't always the flags, dumb flamingos and the rest that tell those others which trailer is which, and whose.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 08:04 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1999 28' Excella
Frederick , Maryland
Well said Rednax. Thanks other posters.

Sounds like it won't be much of an issue. Fortunatly, around here we get very little hail, the last camping trip was an exception and it we pretty small hail at that. Now I know in the midwest, hail is likely to be a bigger issue.

I sure don't mind a few dings and dents, but I do try to take care of my stuff as much as I can. All of these "toys" are expensive and I try to use, but not abuse them.

Getting that much closer to coming over from the "dark side".

Thanks. Further input/postings are welcome.
AM Solar Panels 150W - 2 Trojan T 105 6V Batteries

KC3MAP

On internet forums, please research and separate the wheat from the chaff (including mine!)
Soyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 08:08 PM   #6
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soyboy View Post
Well said Rednax. Thanks other posters.

Sounds like it won't be much of an issue. Fortunatly, around here we get very little hail, the last camping trip was an exception and it we pretty small hail at that. Now I know in the midwest, hail is likely to be a bigger issue.

I sure don't mind a few dings and dents, but I do try to take care of my stuff as much as I can. All of these "toys" are expensive and I try to use, but not abuse them.

Getting that much closer to coming over from the "dark side".

Thanks. Further input/postings are welcome.
Get a good insurance policy (ours is $120/year), go camping, and don't sweat the small stuff.
Old 09-13-2008, 09:12 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
I have a good size dent in the top back of mine for the PO, Someone pull one out bigger than mine with an auto body suction cup... Thats what i'm gonna do... It looked like it wasn't even there....

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote