Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-25-2015, 10:34 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1978 25' Tradewind
Metro Phoenix , Arizona
Trailer Trauma - what's the funnest injury you've sustained....

...while working on your trailer?

I'll start: In addition to countless nicks, scrapes and splinters, I had a Serious Industrial Derp Moment and took about a 1/8" divot out of my middle finger on a table saw. I have awesome photos, but in the interest of keeping the forum family-friendly, they're not included.

Next?
Old 04-25-2015, 11:05 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB International
Little Rock , Arkansas
Fell off the ladder cleaning pollen off the AS. That's probably funny.......to everyone but me. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1429981479.980876.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	108.0 KB
ID:	237038

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Landrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 11:13 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
Funniest is a poor choice of word for accidents that cause serious damage or bodily harm, the only funny part of my last accident was that I didn't listen to navigator of our rig when she said use the ladder, my thinking was stay on the ground and do it with the awning hook. Walking back and forth around a piece of coral the state park workers used to protect the utility area, while looking up I step back a little and hadn't noticed the ankle grabbing hook of the rock, fell on it and had serious scrapping which is finally healing after two weeks. She also suggested Iodine for the scrap to kill the organisms left by the critters using the rock for marking territory. Iodine tincture pain was mine while she could have laughed but didn't for my not listening.
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 11:32 AM   #4

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Jeeze, I guess I've been lucky that in 12 years of ownership I have not managed to injure myself once. I'm pretty cautious. Maybe I got all the injuring out of the way on the car projects! We used to say it wasn't over until somebody swore and someone was bleeding

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 11:45 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Due to my negligence I had a bracket come loose on my WD system. It smacked right in the left front side of my head. The doctor said 1/4 inch front or back and I would be with blind or dead. I was bruised and sore for over a month. Nothing funny about personal injury.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 12:02 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1978 25' Tradewind
Metro Phoenix , Arizona
My word was"funn-est," not funniest. I do realize that not all injuries are "funny." My particular finger divot looks pretty bad, but luckily it doesn't hurt hardly any.

I guess having a finger shortened by an eighth of an inch could be fun.
Old 04-25-2015, 12:35 PM   #7
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Trying to beat a thunderstorm while loading our trailer, with the awning deployed. I ran out the door, turned left, and knocked myself senseless by hitting my head on the awning arm. I now place foam pool noodles on the arms whenever the awning is out. The foam hurts a lot less than solid aluminum when I run into it full-tilt.
Old 04-25-2015, 01:06 PM   #8
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Wasn't working on my Airstream. I was preparing dinner. Opened an overhead locker, and stuff fell out onto the floor. Without thinking, bent down to retrieve the fallen items. Raised back up right into a corner of the locker door and lacerated my scalp. Some of the other folks at the rally were very worried when they saw me walking around later still bleeding from my scalp. Good thing I'm bald, because at least I didn't get hair matted into the scab when the profuse bleeding finally stopped.

Have to agree with AWCHIEF on this one. Nothing funny— or fun— about personal injury— life is not a Three Stooges skit. Being able to look back on it now and laugh just means enough time has elapsed to enable us to forget the pain. As they say, time heals all wounds.
Old 04-25-2015, 01:34 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Mont Vernon , New Hampshire
When I had my 345, I slid on one of those yard mats at the bottom of the motorhome step and broke by leg and ankle. Ouch. Of course, we were in the middle of nowhere without a toad on Labor day evening. I am MUCH more careful now!
bugsbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 02:05 PM   #10

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Wow, these are some great cautionary tales!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 03:27 PM   #11
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Trailer pants.

From unintentionally nudging greasy hitch parts on either trailer or car.

Doesn't hurt much, but looks pretty funny since the grease stains are so hard to get out. I've injured a couple of pair of pants that way.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 03:47 PM   #12
RAH
3 Rivet Member

2013 30' Flying Cloud
Cincinnati , Ohio
More than a few times I have banged my head on something, and I was glad to be wearing a baseball cap. It's not a helmet per se but it does soften the blow. Same with wearing hiking boots around the campsite...don't need them, but they help with ankle support when I step into a hole or whatever. I also wear gloves a lot.

My fear is of ladders. I use them when washing and waxing the trailer, and go up higher than I should. With soap and water around, making it slippery. I'm not as young as I used to be.

What was the old Hill Street Blues saying... Be careful out there.
RAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 05:05 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Holly Lake Ranch , Texas
Was trying to coax ups awning. It slipped and web between the thumb and finger got trapped as it slid back into tube fortunately I could get enough grip to slide it mac out

Now it's always put up with work gloves

Dana

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Goal15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 05:16 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
Kitchener , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goal15 View Post
Was trying to coax ups awning. It slipped and web between the thumb and finger got trapped as it slid back into tube fortunately I could get enough grip to slide it mac out

Now it's always put up with work gloves

Dana Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
I thought I was the only one dumb enough to do that. +1 on the gloves and also some lube on the sliding parts so they do not need so much encouragement.
Gearheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 09:51 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1978 25' Tradewind
Metro Phoenix , Arizona
I think Stef has managed to make lemonade of this thread - these are some safety tips for all of us to read and remember!

Especially AWCHIEF's post about the WD bars - dang! That's scary!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts View Post
Wow, these are some great cautionary tales!
Old 04-27-2015, 10:00 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Missouri City , Texas
But whats important is, you didn't damage the Airstream did you??
Old 04-27-2015, 10:49 AM   #17
Home of Vortex tuning

2013 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Spearfish , South Dakota
The sharp edges of any laminated surfaces. I slice myself just about anytime I get under the folding seating, storing/removing stuff. I keep threatening myself to tape over these razors, I guess I haven't donated enough blood yet, , ,
Old 04-27-2015, 02:05 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Not working on the trailer- just entering-
Sustained a nasty scratch on my ankle when I mis-judged the Classic aluminum steps-
Now I see why all other models have the regular black every-other-RV-in-the-world steps-
Rounded edges, less likely to injure someone-
I need to get a file and smooth down the edges of my Classic aluminum steps.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 03:36 PM   #19
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Yeah, I call that "paying the dragon." I hate when I do that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDONA View Post
The sharp edges of any laminated surfaces. I slice myself just about anytime I get under the folding seating, storing/removing stuff. I keep threatening myself to tape over these razors, I guess I haven't donated enough blood yet, , ,

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 04:04 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

beaumont , Texas
injuries

actually none of these are funny, but I guess if we can laugh then we are better off. Mine involves the hitch and ball.. I hit mine so many times that I had to have surgery on the spot on my shin. Doc called it repeated trauma.. he was really old school and was my doctor since childhood. He actually sewed the bandage to my leg, told me he knew I would be picking at it or looking at it . He did not remove it till the stitches came out.. dang, kind of takes the fun out of it. I still have the phantom pain every time I get around the receiver hitch. Richard in Texas
Dixie722 is offline   Reply With Quote