Old 12-17-2014, 12:31 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2010 20' Flying Cloud
Hailey , Idaho
Trailer trailer connections

Today's discussion of bicycle hitch installations in another forum chain made me wonder how some of you fine Streamers provide electronic trailer connections to small boat/utility trailers towed behind your AS. My 2010 20ft FC came with an installed trailer hitch...but no power to it. I use it for my bike rack. But ever so often it would be nice to hook up a small boat trailer with a 40-year old Grumman sport canoe (combined weight about 250lbs). Any advice/guidance would be appreciated. Thank you. jon

Old 12-17-2014, 12:38 PM   #2
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by B00merang View Post
Today's discussion of bicycle hitch installations in another forum chain made me wonder how some of you fine Streamers provide electronic trailer connections to small boat/utility trailers towed behind your AS. My 2010 20ft FC came with an installed trailer hitch...but no power to it. I use it for my bike rack. But ever so often it would be nice to hook up a small boat trailer with a 40-year old Grumman sport canoe (combined weight about 250lbs). Any advice/guidance would be appreciated. Thank you. jon
I have never seen anyone tandem-towing a boat trailer behind an Airstream. However, from a practical standpoint, even if the boat trailer is less than 1500 pounds loaded and doesn't need its own brakes in any State, you would still need at least a four-wire connector to power the boat trailer's lights. This four-wire connector would have to draw power from the Airstream's umbilical, using a conductor runing the entire length of the Airstream.

Also, verify with your State's DMV if tandem towing is even permitted. Some states don't allow it.

WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 12:57 PM   #3
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Tandem tow is limited to 5ers in many states and even then must not exceed State RV total length limit.

Worse, you can't see the thing.

Mount the canoe on the roof of the TV
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 01:01 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by B00merang View Post
I'm sure that the hitch receiver on the back of your Airstream was installed by a previous owner for a bike rack (which is a bad idea that eventually results in frame separation) and not to tow another auxiliary trailer. That's probably why there are no electrical connections.

In my opinion, towing a trailer behind another trailer pulled by the typical tow vehicle being operated by the typical RV owner is asking for trouble and should be illegal in all states. If you want to bring your boat or any other second trailer, hitch it to a second vehicle and have a second driver drive it to your camping location and be safe!