Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-27-2012, 03:43 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2010 23' FB Flying Cloud
Smithville , Texas
Trailer Jack

My 2010 FB23 came with the Barker 3000 trailer jack. Since the beginning I'd often have to flip the switch several times to operate up or down. Yes, I shoulda took it back for warranty repair immediately but I didn't. Now it will go one way but not the other. The switch is OK. Dead spot in electric motor? We use this trailer a lot....over 80,000 miles in two years.

Anyway, it's out of warranty and I'm tired of troubleshooting. Yes it has a good ground.

Have any of you replaced these with a manual jack? If so what did you use? Any opinions on this? I can afford a new Barker but don't know if I want to mess with it. If I do is it hard to install? Since I've been cranking this one by hand for three months, whacking my hand on the tank screw wing nut if I'm not careful, a normal crank up seems least troublesome.

Advice will be appreciated. As you can tell, I'm all over the place on this.

Matt
Matt Kline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 04:33 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
I purchased the Atwood Power Trailer Tongue Jack (Model 08515), which has worked well for us for a couple of years. The review below is dated 06/26/11; but the jack was actually purchased a year or two before this, and that's the date when I finally got around to writing the review on Amazon.com.

Please note the load rating of this jack. Depending on your Airstream model, tongue weight and tow vehicle, you may need a jack of different capacity (e.g., heavy duty, 3,500 pounds)

==========

Atwood Mobile Products 80515 Marine Deluxe Power Jack: Amazon.com: Sports & Outdoors

==========

Extract of Amazon.com product review:

Atwood Power Trailer Tongue Jack (Model 08515), June 26, 2011 -- 5.0 out of 5 stars
By Arizona Airstreamer (Phoenix, AZ USA) (a.k.a., "Phoenix" on Airforums.com)
Amazon Verified Purchase

This review is from: Atwood Mobile Products 80515 Marine Deluxe Power Jack (Automotive)

It gets really hot in the desert southwest in the summer, and I was looking for things that would decrease the hook-up time and effort for our travel trailer. I originally thought that a power tongue jack was an unnecessary luxury. However, I got it anyway to help my wife, since she was usually the one that jacked up the tongue of the trailer.

The installation was quick and easy, since this was a direct replacement (same mounting holes) for the hand-cranked, manual jack; and this device has made hooking up the trailer fast and effortless. Also, at overnight stops on the road, it's much easier and more convenient to disconnect the trailer (we used to just drag it around with us when going to dinner or shopping).

In all, this power jack is a great convenience, and worth every penny we paid.

TIP: To protect the powerhead from sun and moisture, we cut one end off of a used, large, rubber marine fender (boat bumper) and secured it over the top of the jack with a long bungee cord. As a result, the powerhead looks new after several seasons.
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 08:25 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota

Bulldog A-Frame Trailer Jack HB-155010

Works every time . . . even if it's dark and raining and 30 people are watching:-)

`
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 06:38 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
One of the first things I replaced was the power jack with a manual one. Never lets me down. Jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 07:48 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2023 23' Flying Cloud
2008 27' Safari FB SE
Forney , Texas
Matt - The problem you are describing really sounds like a problem with the switch or with the limit switches on the electric jack. If you have tested the switch and it is good, how about the limit switches that regulate up and down travel?

I'm not familiar with that particular jack but maybe a call to the manufacturer would give you some info about where or how they work on your model.

Just a thought.....
wayner61 is offline   Reply With Quote