Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-28-2007, 11:50 AM   #1

Currently Looking...
Eugene , Oregon
Arrow Trailer Height Year Change?

I've looked at many late model AS trailers, and I recently viewed a 1989 Excella 1000 32'. I was amazed at the ceiling and doorway height; or lack thereof. I had to bend my head down to get in the door. This is not true on the new trailers. I'm only 6' tall so it isn't me.

How do I find out which trailers (model and year) are so darn short?

And what about the "wide body" I keep hearing about?

That way I can avoid looking at those.

TIA

Cy
cfoughty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 12:00 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
High River , Alberta
Don't know about interior height difference, but "wide-bodies" are the maximum legal (for most highways) width of 8.5'. Standard bodies are 8'. I believe that any new trailer longer than 23' is 8.5' wide. Vintage trailers from the 1970s are all 8' wide.
AlbertF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 12:01 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Doors aren't for tall people..

Welcome..

ANY Airstream door will require bending to go through, and to exit, unless you want to leave a portion of your scalp on the door top edge.. Interior room OK for most 6' folks, except those with tall boot heels and a cowboy hat... Prior owners may have built up floor with additional plywood or flooring material, which could have reduced headroom.

In 1995, Airstream addded 6" to width of trailers over 23', and reduced radius of upper curve slightly to creat more room and upper storage area. No change in inner height when bodies widened, so old ones and new ones have essentially same interior headroom...

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 12:06 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Hello Cy -- Welcome to the Forums!

I too am 6' tall. I would say my '74 Argosy & my '06 Safari door heights are nearly identical -- or I haven't thought that much about it. Yes, much of my head will not clear the top jamb if I walk straight ahead while inside. But it seems to work itself out if you plan stepping onto the top step as you exit. I'll still clunk myself once in a blue moon. Rising up the steps and into the trailer works almost without thinking. Trailer shell heights haven't varied by much in my experience -- the air conditioners clear by about the same amount under a 10' nominal garage door.

I don't think wide body Airstreams factors into this door height issue. But 8'6" wide bodies were begun for Airstreams longer than 23' starting in 1994 or thereabouts.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 05:37 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Southeast , Michigan
In 1994 Airstream changed the shape of the body and "squared off" the upper corners somewhat (I know this for a fact, because I own one). Certainly if you've ever been on the roof of your airstream, you can tell the difference between a 1993 and earlier vs. a 1994 and later. The 1994 and later roof is white and is much flatter. I believe at this time the height of the door may have been increased a little bit. I never measured to verify this fact, but my gut tells me the 1994+ door is a little taller. Inside height of the roof at the center of the aisleway is about the same for pre and post 1994 (unless you go back to the 1940's and 50' vintage units that had even lower roofs.

Then for the 1996 model year (starting in later calendar year 1995) they added 6 inches of width creating the wide body, also with the squarer shape. I have heard that some late 1995 34's were also wide bodies, but not on other lengths until 1996.

And yes you will always have to bend to get out of the door of any Airstream if you are over 6', just some a little more than others. Newer Airstreams do have a pad above the top of the door to protect your head, and some owners have added similar pads to older Airstreams, but I have never needed them. Interestingly at 6'1", I have never hit my head exiting any Airstream I have ever been in. I almost find this surprising given that from inside the door often only come up to perhaps shoulder height for me.
WBCCI/VAC #702 & #6768

66Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote