Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-25-2012, 02:02 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 28
Fresno/Clovis , California
Trailer 7-pin round to truck 7-pin flat??

Is there such a thing, and where can I get one. I have the 7 pin round on the trailer, and 7 pin flat on the truck.
Old 05-25-2012, 02:14 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
There may be such an animal but it will cost you more than converting one end or the other to match. Although the 7 pin flat connector is not as good as the round ones (in my opinion) it is the almost universal one used on RV's today, and it is the one TV's come with when factory equipped. By converting your trailer end to a flat pin connector, you can tow it with virtually any other tow equipped vehicle.

If you go that route, look at the 7 wire flat pin connectors you can buy and pick one with brass pins, not silver looking ones. The brass pins clean better, and last longer than the plated steel ones that are also commonly available.

Also, if you do this, be careful of the color codes that are used. The older AS and Argosy's used a different color code from the ones used on flat pin connectors, so you can't just change it over wire for wire (flat pins are labeled with colors on the screw end connector).
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 03:42 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
I have built adapters for this purpose, however I would recommend changing to the 7 pin flat blade plug and wiring it to todays universal standard.

As previously mentioned, not all colors in the cable on 84 or so and older trailers are standard so it is best to determine the function of each wire .

If you can't find out the color changes PM me and i will get it to you after the week end
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote