Old 12-30-2015, 12:38 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2016 27' International
Montreal , Quebec
Thanks everyone. Since i am new at this and do not know what feels right as J.Morgan mention I intend to get one , it will be used exclusively to torque the the lug nuts on the TV and AS so I assume one that has a range that goes up to 250 ft lbs will have me using it at half it's range. I was looking at a Tekton 24340 1/2 inch with a 25- 250 foot pound range. Any of you has the same one?

Old 12-30-2015, 12:41 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2014 16' Sport
Walnut Creek , California
No one can "feel right" at #85 foot lbs + or - #2 lbs. Torque is more then making something tight, it is so that all nuts are tighten the same to pervert distorting the wheels. If two are at 90 & two at 80 & two at 60 the 60s will start loosen up. Ask any man in a tire shop why they torque wheels or ask anyone who has lost a wheel if the torqued the wheels. If they say no then it's their fault for any property damage. Ask the state police.

Old 12-30-2015, 12:41 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB International
Clearwater , Florida
tool

Don't forget the 24" breaker bar, 6" extension and correctly sized deep well impact grade sockets
Old 12-30-2015, 12:59 PM   #18
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
Quote:
Originally Posted by khollister View Post
The Harbor Freight one has tested pretty well, and comparing it to my more expensive wrenches show it isn't as far off as you might think.
This is my experience as well. I did my homework on the Pittsburgh brand 10 years ago and found they tested very well according to a calibration lab. I bought an inch pound and foot pound model for top end and cam work on Harleys. I checked them against a couple of expensive brands and found them spot on. I used them for a lot of motor work with no issues.
Old 12-30-2015, 01:00 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
I use http://www.amazon.com/Precision-Inst...+torque+wrench - it does not have to be zero'ed between wheels. When I had my AS LY diesel pusher (and came close to losing a wheel), I bought http://www.amazon.com/Precision-Inst...+torque+wrench. I still have it, and use it to torque my hitch ball. I had spoken to one of the suppliers of the Precision line, and was told that they made the split beam wrenches for Snap On.
1999 Dodge Ram 2500HD Diesel
blkmagikca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 01:03 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Torque wrench recomandation needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elbo View Post
No one can "feel right" at #85 foot lbs + or - #2 lbs. Torque is more then making something tight, it is so that all nuts are tighten the same to pervert distorting the wheels. If two are at 90 & two at 80 & two at 60 the 60s will start loosen up. Ask any man in a tire shop why they torque wheels or ask anyone who has lost a wheel if the torqued the wheels. If they say no then it's their fault for any property damage. Ask the state police.

There is always a critic right?

I imagine I have a few mounted more wheels than the average person, I have never had a wheel I have tightened fall off.... (Nor have I distorted or otherwise ruined any rims)

With all DUE respect, I kinda do know what feels right. Beleive it or not, it IS possible to learn to feel when a fastener at its "sweet spot".

That aside, how many vehicles come with a torque wrench in the tire change tools?

#JustSayin...

Brevi tempore!

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 01:13 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Spartanburg , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa smurf View Post
As I prepare to receive my AS in May I realise I will need tools that I do not have. One of them is a torque wrench. When choosing one what should I be looking for. Do they all offer more or less the same level of precision +/ - 4% or are some models more precise and does that even make a difference. Should I opt for a model with a range that covers the need of the AS and TV or is there any advantage to have one with a larger range. Pass those general considerations do you have a specific model to recommand .
If you are not familiar with tools or brands of tools, go to Sears tool dept. You can not go wrong and Sears stands behind them.
Old 12-30-2015, 01:55 PM   #22
rvb
4 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy 28
Euless , Texas
There are two types of torque wrenches.
Dial type: has scale you watch and stop when you reach the setting you want.
Click type: has a collar you rotate to set the desired torque and it will have an audible and felt click when you reach that amount. The following are click type:

Snap-on and MAC are pro tools and you will pay dearly for them. Hundreds of $$$
Sears Craftsman is excellent with a lifetime warranty but pricey for only torquing lug nuts. $$
Harbor Freight - imported but appears adequate quality. $

Go by Harbor Freight and sign up for their sale flyers. I get about one a week in the mail. Each flyer will have a 20% off coupon. Their torque wrench is normally $29.99 but is currently on sale $21.99. Earlier this year I bought one on sale for $12.99 and used a 20% off coupon on top of that. I compared it to my Craftsman on a lug nut at 95# and the torque it was virtually identical so I keep the cheap one in the trailer. It also came with a nice case to protect it, my Craftsman did not.

Buy a spare hitch pin while you are there. Sooner or later you will leave yours on the bumper and lose it!
Old 12-30-2015, 02:18 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
1999 34' Excella
Davidson County, NC , Highlands County, FL
I bought one from Harbor Freight, dedicated it to my tow vehicle's tool box, to use while on the road. I did not want to carry a good wrench (meaning more expensive) because of the varying conditions when traveling (wet to dusty). When I brought it home, I checked the HF wrench against the one I keep in my tool chest in my garage. The torque settings in the 90 to 110 lb range are pretty much identical on both wrenches.
Old 12-30-2015, 02:58 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1969 23' Safari
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Make sure you have the right size drive size for the sockets you will be using. Harbor Freight has some great tools for a great cost and my input is to get a long handle torque wrench, a few more $ but worth every penny
Old 12-30-2015, 03:33 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

Sarasota , Florida
Harbor Freight. $10+- will suffice
Old 12-30-2015, 03:36 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

Sarasota , Florida
How often does on check the torque on the TV??
Old 12-30-2015, 03:37 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elbo View Post
Ask any man in a tire shop why they torque wheels .
Oh, you mean the ones who crank everything down with the same air wrench setting, no matter what the specs say? My experience says this includes 95% od the dealers and tire shops.
Old 12-30-2015, 03:40 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member

2014 16' Sport
Walnut Creek , California
Sweet spot. Yes in the old days we had no chose but to tighten to the "sweet spot" but that was before torque wrench's was available like they are today. In the early 50s I was tighting flat heads and 216 Chevy 6s with a pipe on the end of a breaker bar always hoping there was a sweet spot somewhere in the process. Sometimes I would have customers come back with problems from to tight or not tight enough. Then in about 1958 I bought my first torque wrench from Sears, it was the new "Beam Style" torque wrench. Still have it, plus I have added 3/8 drive inch lb,1/2 click type ft lb, 3/4 drive dial up to #500 lbs all Snap On. My point about using a torque wrench now a days is that is what we call progress. Cars now days don't even have spares and I am sure the reason we can go into outer space is not because we tighten the rocket engine bolts to the "Sweet spot"