Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-19-2019, 10:18 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
Torque wrench

Craftsman 1/2 digital normally $179.00 is currently on sale $69.00.Set desired torque up to 250 ft lbs and it beeps when reached.Simple to use.
Moflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 06:11 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
I would get an old school bending beam type. They are not as easy to use but they stay accurate and don't need to be calibrated. The ones that click have to be calibrated.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 07:23 AM   #23
3 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 28
Buford , Georgia
+1 on the Harbor Freight, I think I paid something like 10-15 bucks for mine on 'sale' with coupon.
strangepod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 08:48 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjdonahoe View Post
Napa...snap on..
I realize this is the Airstream forum, but I'd have trouble justifying a SnapOn torque wrench to tighten lug nuts. Maybe if I was building race engines for a living.
I made it 60+ years without a torque wrench and guess what? No wheels fell off.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 09:19 AM   #25
4 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Crystal River , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
I'd have trouble justifying a SnapOn torque wrench to tighten lug nuts. .
Anything worth doing is worth overdoing. In the RV world no truck is big enough nor is any torque wrench adequate. You do realize our species darn near went extinct when lug wrenches were the standard?
Old 12-20-2019, 08:26 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2009 25' FB Classic
Scottsdale , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiny16 View Post
If you were going to get a 1/2 drive torque wrench for Christmas which one would you want. It’s only use would be for the Airstreams lugnuts.

Torque wrench don’t like to be missed used or dropped. Drop the torque setting down to almost “0” store in the carrying case not just in tool box. You want the best ? Snap On want one the will work and will not cost a leg and a arm? Fright Harbor. When torquing wheels use the cross torque system as shown in manual.
Old 12-23-2019, 08:26 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2009 25' FB Classic
Scottsdale , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie-Bob View Post
Torque wrench don’t like to be missed used or dropped. Drop the torque setting down to almost “0” store in the carrying case not just in tool box. You want the best ? Snap On want one the will work and will not cost a leg and a arm? Fright Harbor. When torquing wheels use the cross torque system as shown in manual.

[ATTACH]. On sale.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1176.JPG
Views:	35
Size:	173.8 KB
ID:	358133  
Old 12-24-2019, 10:15 AM   #28
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Sandy , Utah
I have a 40 year old Craftsman 1/2" click type . I took it in to a Dealership Service Department last year and tested it on their Torque Wrench tester. It was spot on. I never use it to loosen nuts or bolts, I have an impact wrench for that. It has served me well.
rocco52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 10:53 AM   #29
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
Man can we drag a subject on and on and on Soooo’s here’s my take. I have multiple torque wrenches, inch and foot pounds from 2 in lbs screwdriver type to a monster 3/4 drive that I use with a torque multiplier. Regardless of the type, beam, digital, or armstrong, they need to be calibrated or at a minimum torque checked.

In regards to digital, check the temperature range, they don’t like really cold temperatures as the LEDs will burn out. Be careful with all types when really cold out, found this out working in Thule Greenland in February. Found out that the temp rating wasn’t even good for the northern US winter without preheating. I no longer have a digital.
Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 12:21 PM   #30
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Chico , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caffeinated View Post
This is the one. Precision instruments makes this exact wrench for Snap-On. Snap-On sells it for five or six hundred bucks. You can get exactly the same thing for about $150.00 on Amazon from Precision instruments. It comes calibrated, and does not need to be reset to zero every time. I learned about this wrench from School Bus diesel mechanics in Beaverton OR. I’ve had mine for almost two years now. It’s a great wrench.

Mike

Yes, I have this one as well. I do reset mine to zero each time, as to me, it's not a big deal. Comes with the certificate of accuracy. Mine's been great since I've had it the last few years.
brainwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 12:45 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
I don't use the things unless it is something critical like head bolts. I broke and stripped a lot of bolts when I was a kid and learned to tell when they were tight. Never used a torque wrench to tighten lugs and never had one break or come loose. Been doing this for close to 50 yrs. I actually prefer to take loose wheels to the tire store after seeing what punk kids have done with an impact wrench can do to a reverse thread lug. I have also seen lots of frame damage from careless and improper use of jacks. You can actually check a wrench by using a fish scale and measuring the length of the handle. Multiply force in lbs times the length of the arm and you have your torque. There are so many variables even with a torque wrench. Bolt diameter, lube, seat type, rust, etc etc.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 01:12 PM   #32
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
AS what torque wrench to buy, pur. one like Harbor Freight or Craftsman clickers unless you are pro. & need better for precision work. I have craftsman 1/2 click type about 40 yrs. still spot on but always return to 0, also have 3/4 and torque amplifier same practice and old craftsman beam 1/2 but vary seldom use any more as clicker much easier. Word of caution w/clicker use strait with bolt or nut and keep one hand on end to keep strait or else will have false reading click or beam type. I use these clickers building motorcycle racing engines & bikes plus other varied uses, & truck & farm equip. haven't used beam for yrs.
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 10:53 AM   #33
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
Remember what the theory is here. Torque is pulling down 100 lb bag of cement on a 1 foot long wrench. Or 50 lb bag of dog food on a 2 foot long wrench. You can complicate it up from there.
Note: the wrenches with the swivel in the handles do need you to have one hand on that. handle or it won’t seem to click. Don’t really know why.

NevadaGeo
NevadaGeo is offline   Reply With Quote