Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-26-2017, 11:49 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

1997 21' Excella
Carson City , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMFL View Post
Tooooooooooo Many. But I have yet to be on the road and need a tool to fix something and not have it. 3/4 pickup allows me to take what I "THINK" I might need.
Well then, with a whole bed of a truck, just take the whole snap tool chest
BessieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 03:52 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1984 27' Airstream 270
Scotia , New York
The only wrong tool onboard, is the one you did not bring!

This is part of my 60 pound collection that I bring in the MH.
A big annoyance is doubling up with metric & old school sizes. yes some metric wrenches will work, until you strip out a head and nothing works.

Besides this, there is a huge collection of spare parts and such. It is a OTD thing (Overloaded Tool Disorder)

One other important item is juice for rusted hardware my choice is Aerokroil, I am sure there are other opinions for other products, this has never failed me!

BTW the stuff in the background is also MH goodies, they dont travel with me regularly.
WayneG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 07:45 AM   #23
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Ok, so this *is* a bit of a hijack ... what's new ....

You are now on the shoulder by the side of the road. You grab your cones or triangles and start putting them out. How many lanes of on coming traffic do you block with these devices?

If it actually *is* correct to fully block lane(s) then you better bring a lot of them. One small "kit" will not be enough.

No, this is not a hypothetical question. I fortunately was able to change lanes in time to avoid an "array" somebody had put up last week. Seemed like a really bad idea to me as I was swerving the TV and AS around it. Maybe it is the right thing to do .... I certainly don't carry that many reflectors with me.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 07:56 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

Ok, so this *is* a bit of a hijack ... what's new ....

You are now on the shoulder by the side of the road. You grab your cones or triangles and start putting them out. How many lanes of on coming traffic do you block with these devices?

If it actually *is* correct to fully block lane(s) then you better bring a lot of them. One small "kit" will not be enough.

No, this is not a hypothetical question. I fortunately was able to change lanes in time to avoid an "array" somebody had put up last week. Seemed like a really bad idea to me as I was swerving the TV and AS around it. Maybe it is the right thing to do .... I certainly don't carry that many reflectors with me.

Bob
Wow. No. Don't block the lane. That's creating a worse road hazard than you already are.

You need three cones or triangles. On a divided highway, place one 10' and 100' behind your vehicle on the traffic side, and one 300' behind your vehicle on the edge of the shoulder. This funnels traffic past your vehicle and gives drivers time to react.

In two-way traffic, place one 100' in front of your vehicle on the driver's side, and one 10' and 100' behind on the driver's side.

The only time you'd block the lane is if your rig was already blocking the lane and you are unable to move it out of traffic.
TheGreatleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 09:08 AM   #25
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatleys View Post
Wow. No. Don't block the lane. That's creating a worse road hazard than you already are.

You need three cones or triangles. On a divided highway, place one 10' and 100' behind your vehicle on the traffic side, and one 300' behind your vehicle on the edge of the shoulder. This funnels traffic past your vehicle and gives drivers time to react.

In two-way traffic, place one 100' in front of your vehicle on the driver's side, and one 10' and 100' behind on the driver's side.

The only time you'd block the lane is if your rig was already blocking the lane and you are unable to move it out of traffic.
Hi

That was sort of my thought. Apparently the people in the SOB by the side of the road felt differently

There are indeed cases where a single set of reflectors may not be enough. (Even if you aren't crazy). At some point it gets into how much room you have for "stuff".

Bob
Old 08-27-2017, 09:24 AM   #26
DMT
4 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
East Coast , Newfoundland
Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneG View Post
The only wrong tool onboard, is the one you did not bring!

This is part of my 60 pound collection that I bring in the MH.
A big annoyance is doubling up with metric & old school sizes. yes some metric wrenches will work, until you strip out a head and nothing works.

Besides this, there is a huge collection of spare parts and such. It is a OTD thing (Overloaded Tool Disorder)

One other important item is juice for rusted hardware my choice is Aerokroil, I am sure there are other opinions for other products, this has never failed me!

BTW the stuff in the background is also MH goodies, they dont travel with me regularly.

Impressive! My advise for the OP is to forget the tools and start camping with WayneG. Like having a Snap-on rep for a buddy[emoji4]
Old 08-27-2017, 09:46 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1984 27' Airstream 270
Scotia , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMT View Post
Impressive! My advise for the OP is to forget the tools and start camping with WayneG. Like having a Snap-on rep for a buddy[emoji4]
I guess that over the years, people who camp with me know to come for tools or supplies, usually I have what they need!
WayneG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 09:57 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
I just take my checkbook and credit card. They work every time.
urnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 09:59 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
Oh and a bottle of good sipping rum, one ice cube and one lime. It kills the pain of using the checkbook and credit card.
urnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 10:20 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
For me, a lot depends how long I'm going to be on the road. If I'm going to Florida for 3 winter months, I take a lot because I will work on my AS while I'm down there. If I'm taking her down to Tennessee for 2 days of eclipse viewing, I take the bare essentials.

Some things always stay in the AS, like the ramp to change a tire, tub of grease, 4-way lug wrench, WD-40, phillips and flat tip screw drivers, HF multimeter, pliers, small box of screws of various types (very important), duct tape and rechargeable flashlight. I have a drawer dedicated for most of those items.

For the TV (using the AS or pulling the boat) I also have a HF cloth bag of various tools, breaker bar/sockets and a cheap HF tool box with a grease gun and fittings, hose clamps, mechanical fingers, cordless drill & bits/sockets, hand cleaner and rags. Lately, I've been carrying HF latex gloves to try and keep my hands cleaner if I need to do some dirty work.

What I have learned over the many years is, whatever tool or part you need, you won't have it. Most likely, you will need to MacGyver something to get you down the road, even if it means leaving a trailer on the roadside. Fix up a dedicated tool bag/box and always take it with you. It makes it easier to pack if it's dedicated for the TV and AS.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 10:24 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by urnmor View Post
Oh and a bottle of good sipping rum, one ice cube and one lime. It kills the pain of using the checkbook and credit card.
A bit off topic, but you brought it up. Next time at the liquor store (like Total Wine and More) look for R.L. Seales rum (Barbados Rum). If you like sippin' rum, this is for you. A little hard to find (I can't get it here but I've found it in GA and FL) and moderately expensive, but very good, especially in cold, rainy weather. Black bottle, embossed label, bottle neck is askew.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Old 08-27-2017, 10:50 AM   #32
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by urnmor View Post
Hi

At least up around here, part of the fun of getting out and about is the incredible number of small wineries and distilleries. The whole craft beer thing seems to be spreading to the rest of the booze business. I'm not going to claim that they all make great stuff. They all (so far) do tastings, that makes things a bit easier to sort out.

There is the basic issue of order: Tools and fixit first, booze and relaxing second. Getting confused about that likely will result in sub standard work. Getting very confused about it can lead to questions about the location of the nearest emergency room Don't ask how I know these things .....

Bob
Old 08-27-2017, 11:03 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2017 19' International
Tallahassee , Florida
Been working on cars since my Corvair back in high school (with graduate training on an MG Midget), and I've never run across this term ... "mechanical fingers."

What might those be?

I'm building a toolbox for Airstream travel, so comments on this thread are of interest and helpful.
WhereStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 03:37 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Tools you take with you in your AS

It's a gadget designed to retrieve dropped parts. Usually has a button on one end. You press the button in and three bits of wire with bent ends come out the other. They can grasp small objects like a bolt or nut when you release the button, then you can retrieve the object. Usually about 18-24" long with a shaft that looks and flexes like a spring. Handy if you tend to drop things and the item either rolls dead center under the vehicle, or into a place you can't get your hand into. (I use mine way too much...)
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 05:51 PM   #35
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Niagara-on-the-Lake , ON Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
It's a gadget designed to retrieve dropped parts. Usually has a button on one end. You press the button in and three bits of wire with bent ends come out the other. They can grasp small objects like a bolt or nut when you release the button, then you can retrieve the object. Usually about 18-24" long with a shaft that looks and flexes like a spring. Handy if you tend to drop things and the item either rolls dead center under the vehicle, or into a place you can't get your hand into. (I use mine way too much...)
I have one, but have always know it as a 'mechanic's claw'. Mine also has a magnet on the claw end.
Old 08-27-2017, 06:04 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2017 19' International
Tallahassee , Florida
Mechanical fingers ... now I've got to get a set ... can think of times I've been on my back, fishing around for a rollaway just out of reach ...
WhereStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 08:15 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
I have a mechanical fingers with an LED in the end, very handy. I also have, for lack of a better term, a car antenna with a magnet on the tip. Both have saved me many times over.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I think I got the magnet and plain claw/fingers as a set, forget where, probably Lowes.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Old 08-27-2017, 08:16 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Another GREAT Rum!: Pussers! It's the ORIGINAL British Navy Rum. (British "jacks" rec'd a "tot" of rum daily as portion of their salary until Marge Thatcher "dried up" the Navy. There's good reason they quit toasting the Queen's Prime Minister!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PusserRum.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	170.9 KB
ID:	293407  
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 08:41 PM   #39
4 Rivet Member

1990 32' Excella
jonesboro , Arkansas
I carry a 24" wide roll of aluminum roof flashing. About 6 foot long. Rolls up fairly small. Also a roll of HVAC alum tape plain and one with mastic on it..with these you can do water proof repairs the belly and skin. Also along with rivets I carry a small box of self drilling screws. I started carrying these after a truck tire cap ripped a hole in my belly pan.
joel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 12:39 PM   #40
2 Rivet Member

2003 25' Safari
salem , West Virginia
We are full time so if I own a tool it travels with me.

That being said I agree with everyone on duct tape, plastic ties (zip ties), on basic tools consider a hammer if something gets bent and needs to get unbent to proceed. I also would recommend at least one reliable ratchet strap. And at least one pair of mid size Chanel locks.

Our spare tire carrier failed on the road one time, there is no way to remove with it hitched and a part broke so we couldn't latch it back as designed. A strategically placed ratchet strap got us to our destination. I can also see this working for awning or other various attachments whose factory latches could fail. I'd hate to see the side of the AS get beaten profusely by an unhinged awning tension pole.

This brings up another suggestion for any newbies reading, always check latches and stuff twice before you leave and do a walk around every time you stop to be sure something isn't about to come loose, including grabbing and wiggling anything that looks like it may think about coming loose. Loose nuts missing bolts, etc. I also feel the center caps on each tire to be sure they aren't hot. They may get slightly warm on a long trip but if they are too hot to leave your hand on for long let them cool and get to a trailer service place because you're about to have a bearing failure. If the bearings fail the entire hub may exit taking the tire and wheel with it and depending on speed and luck could easily result in a totaled trailer and possible harm to anyone close by.

This happened to me on a low boy trailer, I never saw the tire or wheel again, I still wonder if it found someone's living room?!?! It was 70mph on an interstate in WV, and it happened fast. Went from silent to violently swaying into both lanes uncontrollably and lots of smoke in the mirrors. I got it slowed, stopped, and off the road but it was not fun, much easier to check often. Also if this was a AS not a flat bed trailer with a very low CG, it probably would have rolled the trailer.

If you keep up with PM a quick check every time you gas up should give you added piece of mind.
Jeremiwvu is offline   Reply With Quote